BBO Discussion Forums: my bid after opponent;s takeout double - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

my bid after opponent;s takeout double

#1 User is offline   Sharson 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-11, 07:16

my partner opened 1 diamond and left hand opponent doubled. I had 4 spades, King high and 7 HCP. My response to opener bid was 1 spade. Partner thought I should pass after the double, I thought I should show points and major suit.
Just wondering for the next time this happens what is best response to opener?

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-August-11, 07:19

1S is fine. Just bid your hand normally. Partner's still allowed to have spades and raise, have hearts and bid 1N, have clubs and bid 2C, or have long diamonds and bid 2D -- knowing of course that you're not broke.

At the very least, they can no longer bid 1H.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-August-11, 07:46

Agree with Wyman. By the way, I think you meant to say your RHO doubled, not your LHO (unless you play brIdge counter-clockwise).
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   farrnbach 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-11, 08:16

I think you really should show a 4 card S suit, o may have doubled on a 3 card stack, and you show 6+ hcp, so p has an idea, how to go on

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-August-11, 08:37

There was a time when it was commonplace for responder to change the requirements for a free bid after RHO made a takeout double. Now it is virtually universal that responder essentially ignores the takeout double and makes the bid he would have made had there been no takeout double.

1 is the normal bid on your cards (assuming that there was nothing else remarkable about the hand other than Kxxx of spades and a 7 count).

#6 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-August-11, 11:15

Some people play that responses over a TO double should show a 5 card suit. Just a matter of agreement.

Just tell your partner s/he shouldn't get too excited after your response over a TO double as you might XX if you have 10+ HCP.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#7 User is offline   VM1973 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-11, 11:59

I think it depends a lot on the field. A lot of people just double with any 4-3-3-3 and 12 HCPs. I think 1 is a very reasonable bid under the circumstances.

#8 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-August-11, 12:11

View PostVM1973, on 2011-August-11, 11:59, said:

I think it depends a lot on the field.

No, it doesn't.

This is a B/I question, and there is a very clear answer. The only thing this may depend on is -- as with all things in bridge -- what you've agreed with partner a priori.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-August-12, 23:45

View Postwyman, on 2011-August-11, 12:11, said:

No, it doesn't.

This is a B/I question, and there is a very clear answer. The only thing this may depend on is -- as with all things in bridge -- what you've agreed with partner a priori.

Agree with this. 1S is the obvious bid to make. By the way, I don't know of anyone who thinks it should show a 5 card suit.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-13, 04:54

View PostHanoi5, on 2011-August-11, 11:15, said:

Some people play that responses over a TO double should show a 5 card suit. Just a matter of agreement.

Just tell your partner s/he shouldn't get too excited after your response over a TO double as you might XX if you have 10+ HCP.

The modern style is that 1 is forcing. Partner shouldn't read too much into the fact that you didn't redouble.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-August-14, 22:59

Passing shows the same hand as passing with no takeout double - less than 6 HCP.

Redouble shows 10+ HCP with a defensive hand. You can still have 10+ HCP and make a suit bid if you are not interested in penalising the opponents (you have an offensive hand or you have good support for partner).
I Transfers

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users