• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Highlighting the bid. Alert - Asking

#1 User is offline   Chainat 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-August-02, 07:29

Hi

When calling a TD for a missing alert I have often found that the TD tells me that the bid has been alerted.
Unfortunatelly - when I click on the bid to ask for the meaning - the bid is now highlighted as it had been alerted.

Is it possible for BBO to make it clear when it has been alerted (eg. one colour) - and when been asked for (another colour).

As it is now - when I have asked for the bid, and the opponent is either answering it - or leaving it as no information availbale a TD is assuming that the bid was alerted.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-August-02, 14:15

If the explanation was asked for and the opp didnt answer, the TD can see "no explanation available" and realize the explanation was not provided.

When someone clicks on a bid to ask for an explanation the bid will not remain just "alerted". The Explain box pops up and the opps have to type something there, else it will show "no explanation available".

#3 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-August-02, 14:33

View Postdiana_eva, on 2011-August-02, 14:15, said:

If the explanation was asked for and the opp didnt answer, the TD can see "no explanation available" and realize the explanation was not provided.

When someone clicks on a bid to ask for an explanation the bid will not remain just "alerted". The Explain box pops up and the opps have to type something there, else it will show "no explanation available".

Chainat's problem was that it was not originally alerted, which caused damage. Then Chainat clicked for explanation and got an explanation after the auction took a strange turn, but it was too late to help because his side had already passed. The TD then came but couldn't tell when it had been explained, i.e. whether it was alerted at the time the bid was made or after any opponents bid.

See this post where Chainat explains more fully.

It might be useful to have "alerts/explanations made before any opponents bid" different from "alerts/explanations made after any opponents bid" at least so the TD can tell whether the alert was timely.

#4 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-02, 19:36

This is a good point, and is something we're looking into fixing in the coming versions of BBO. :)
The TD will probably get better tools so he can distinguish and to help with his rulings.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-05, 06:24

Generally a good idea imo, perhaps the difference should only be visible to TD's and kibitzers. Some special cases that may need a specific solution:
- What if there's an alert without explanation, the player starts to type his explanation and in the meantime our quick LHO clicks on the alert?
- What if there's no alert (forgot) but the player starts to type his explanation and in the meantime our quick LHO clicks on the bid/call?
- What if you ask multiple times for clarification and (hopefully) get several explanations?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-August-05, 06:37

I think all the TD really needs to know is whether the explanation was entered before or after an opponent has bid.

#7 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-06, 01:36

I think you want to allow the practice of alerting first without explanation to speed up the play. In a speedball I'll often alert a bid with no explanation and immediately start to type the explanation. Especially for later round alerts.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users