• You cannot reply to this topic

delayed texas?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-July-21, 16:39

Does anyone, or has anyone played 1N-2C-2D-4D as a delayed texas transfer, 6, 4 ?
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-July-21, 16:40

View Postjillybean, on 2011-July-21, 16:39, said:

Does anyone, or has anyone played 1N-2C-2D-4D as a delayed texas transfer, 6, 4 ?

yes, definitely (also transfer to spades, via 1N-2C; 2D-4H)
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#3 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-21, 17:09

Does anyone, or has anyone played 1N-2C-2D-4D as a delayed texas transfer, 6 / 4 ?

View Postwyman, on 2011-July-21, 16:40, said:

yes, definitely (also transfer to spades, via 1N-2C; 2D-4H)

For some reason I played Texas-Over-Smolen to show these hands.

4s/6h :
1NT - 2C
2D - 3S ! ( ostensibly showing 4s/5h ) Smolen
3NT - 4D ! ( transfer to H ; showing 4s/6h ) Texas-over-Smolen

I guess I thought that the following could then show a 5s/6h hand ( with prior agreement ):
1NT - 2C
2D - 4D! ( 5s/6h )
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Likewise for the 6s/4h and 6s/5h hands .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-21, 17:15

Its standard.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-21, 17:21

Yes it is a Texas transfer for me too.

#6 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-July-21, 17:38

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2011-July-21, 17:09, said:

4s/6h :
1NT - 2C

I guess I thought that the following could then show a 5s/6h hand ( with prior agreement ):
1NT - 2C
2D - 4D! ( 5s/6h )

I'd expect smolen then move over 3NT to show slam interest, like a jacoby transfer then raise to 4, whereas texas over 1N-2C;2D shows none.

6-5 hands can be bid as 5-5's initially (then, e.g. rebid your 6 card suit), and are in any case more rare.

#7 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-21, 17:54

interesting, thanks for posting JB.

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-July-21, 19:03

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2011-July-21, 17:09, said:

4s/6h :
1NT - 2C

1NT - 2C
2D - 4D! ( 5s/6h )

Thanks, more sequences to consider.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#9 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2011-July-21, 19:22

It's common enough that I'd assume that was what 1N-2C-2D-4D meant with an unfamiliar partner.

On the other hand, I'd assume 1N-2C-2D-4S was 6S4H with an unfamiliar partner, too - and be afraid to ever use 1N-2C-2D-4H, for ANYthing, without prior discussion. Funny how that works, isnt it? (With my reg p, 4H is agreed as transfer to spades here of course.)

#10 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-21, 22:30

View PostPhil, on 2011-July-21, 17:15, said:

Its standard.

While it is standard, it is not that well known (I'd be surprised if 50% of people knew it in a random 299er field). I learned it only a year or so ago when my partner bid that exact sequence and I guessed to bid 4. I've only seen it used twice at my table, often people just texas and ignore the 4 card other major (I don't know if they do because of hand evaluation, or merely for fear that it could lead to a disaster).

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-21, 22:54

View PostMbodell, on 2011-July-21, 22:30, said:

While it is standard, it is not that well known (I'd be surprised if 50% of people knew it in a random 299er field).

I'd be surprised if 5% in a random field of 299ers knew about it but there's a lot of 'standard' gadgets that the junior game hasn't learned.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-July-23, 10:22

View PostPhil, on 2011-July-21, 17:15, said:

Its standard.

Standard???? I've never heard of it.
Texas transfers are virtually unknown here in England, so certainly delayed texas transfers are even more so.

If I had a weakish 64 in the majors (no slam interest) then in the vast majority of cases I would just get partner to declarer 4 of my 6-card suit. The 6-2 fit often plays much better than a 4-4 one opposite a strong NT.

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2011-July-23, 12:03

I'm with you Frances, I had never heard of it and I live in North America.
I have just added smolen and after looking at delayed texas over smolen, I think
I'd be happy to play in the 62 fit and forget this add on. I think the cost of forgotten
sequences is too great compared to the benefit.
(still learning)

#14 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2011-July-23, 12:17

I think Phil's guess is probably correct. Delayed Texas is extremely common (not universal) among A and upper-B players here in Michigan, but almost unheard of among C players.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-July-23, 18:15

I think Texas is standard — it's certainly expert standard — in North America. Once you play that, and then agree to play Smolen — which isn't standard, but is fairly common at high levels — "delayed" Texas is pretty straightforward. IIRC, Marty Bergen has it in his new pamphlet series, "Secrets to Winning Bridge" volume 13 "What You Must Know About Transfers".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-July-23, 18:42

"think Texas is standard — it's certainly expert standard — in North America. Once you play that, and then agree to play Smolen — which isn't standard, but is fairly common at high levels — "delayed" Texas is pretty straightforward"

NO!

If you play TExas and Smolen not so simple.....So delayed texas is not as simple as other posters state!
--------------

I was told by partners that we play smolen and then retransfer :
-----------------)

If you play Smolen, we use that and then re-transfer if partner bids 3N.

1N----2C----2D-----3S (4-5)------3N-----4D would re-transfer to HEARTS.

The other one is the “fun” one…..hoping that partner remembers to re-transfer…..

1N-----2C------2D------3H (5-4)------3N-------4H (RE-TRANSFER, please, please
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

good post jb.

#17 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-July-23, 19:01

Agree with all who say the delayed Texas is just to play, and that the Smolen sequence followed by showing 6 of one of the majors is slammish....this is logic. Hardly even necessary to discuss beforehand.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-23, 21:12

Kathryn, the standart was

1NT-2
2-4M showing 6-4 and natural

Later people changed this to 4/4 being texas in order to let 1 NT opener declare. Dont be confused though, by saying "Later" i did not mean recently, this texas after stayman was being used in Turkey about 20 years ago and i don't think we Turks invented it. Like most countries which are coming from back, we also had a role model to improve, and in genereal American style bidding was the most popular, and i believe still it is. So i assume if this came to Turkey apprx 20 years ago, it was probably being played by Americans even b4 then. I still think it is wrong to say this is the standart since we are writing in B/I section. (And i still dunno why you posted/asked this in B/I)

Having said that, i played this Texas after stayman long time, now i do play it back natural. Here is my reason. (This part is probably for A/E readers)

1NT when i started bridge about 30 years ago was like 16-18 (19) hcp. And we all know when someone asks why we use transfers, the cliche answers A-Strong hand declares and leads come towards the hooks...B-Xfers gives flexibility in 2nd bid of responder...etc etc.

Now 16-19 1NT does not exist, most people play 15/17 and there is a huge migration towards 14-16, and those who play 14-16 frequently upgrades 13s. This migration reduced the advantage of 1 NT opener's being the declarer, but that still doesn't change the effectiveness of xfer bids due to reason B.

BUT...There is counter idea of the theory which disagrees the idea that says it is better for 1 NT opener to declare when pd has 6-4 or 7 trumps with any side. This counter theory says " It is better for the long trump holder to be the declarer when he has a wild hand" It really needs to be considered by at least advance expert community, because one of the factors that affects the outcome of a contract IS defense. It is very easy for defense when u see the 6-4 or 7330 7411 or 7420 in dummy, since u know what u can and what u can not do, much easier than if this hand was consealed.

I personally make sure in my pdships that responder is able to declare the major contract if he believes there ain't much to gain from the lead.

Here is how u can play both, if u sacrifice on gerber.

1NT-2
2-4 Texas, 4 Texas, 4M to play. (Basically same hands but responder looking at his hand decides which could serve better )

Over 2 NT opener we simply play texas on after stayman, and we also play texas on after smolen in both auctions which basically is a slam invitation with better picture of the hand.

EDITED to fix some typos*
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#19 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-23, 22:46

View PostMrAce, on 2011-July-23, 21:12, said:

1NT-2
2-4 Texas, 4 Texas, 4M to play. (Basically same hands but responder looking at his hand decides which could serve better )

I think you'd call these South African transfers (not Texas) and agree they can work well.

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-July-24, 00:42

"South African Texas". :)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users