vul vs non-vul, IMP, partner is dealer

J10xx
AKJx
10xx
xx

p - p - p - 1C
1D - 1S - 2D* - 2S
p - p - p

*what is with my hand here the best bid? As it looks, the alternatives are 1NT, 2D, X, but I am not sure.

P had Kx, xxxxx, AKQx, xx

#2 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-22, 07:10

your partner has an opening 1 hand and his 1 call totally screwed your side as far as the bidding goes.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#3 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2011-July-22, 07:22

What pooltuna said. Your partner has a perfectly ordinary 1H opener; 1H doesn't promise high cards in hearts, it just promises hearts.

That being said, I would try doubling (if you felt compelled to bid that is; partner "can't" have a hand as good as s/he actually does). That might find a heart fit, and if partner bids clubs, you can always return to diamonds.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#4 User is offline   mck4711 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diving, Climbing, and again - Bridge

Posted 2011-July-22, 09:54

View Postdaveharty, on 2011-July-22, 07:22, said:

What pooltuna said. Your partner has a perfectly ordinary 1H opener; 1H doesn't promise high cards in hearts, it just promises hearts.

That being said, I would try doubling (if you felt compelled to bid that is; partner "can't" have a hand as good as s/he actually does). That might find a heart fit, and if partner bids clubs, you can always return to diamonds.

I agree with pooltuna and you, daveharty, p c/should have opened with 1H.
Lets come back to my Q: what is my best bid in this sequence? what does x mean in this sequence/ how would it be understood?

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-July-22, 10:01

You guys had 3 chances here to bid hearts:

1) Your partner should open 1H.
2) You could open 1H. [yes, I realize this is a style thing, but with the agreement that we may open light in 3rd, I open 1H and don't consider it particularly close -- if they bid to something, I want partner to lead hearts. And we play Drury (I hope) for a reason, so he won't get out of hand, assuming he didn't forget to open...]
3) You could make a negative double of 1S.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-22, 10:18

I like to see problems like this in the B/I (instead of stepping stone squeezes that some sadists like to post here). There's a lot to mull here:

1. Your partner's bidding. xxxxx of hearts is much more relevant than AKQx of diamonds. Length is much more important than strength but this is a hard concept to teach. A new player might look at AKQx and think "3 tricks", this suit is wayyy better than xxxxx that might take no tricks. Opening 1 on xxxxx does not commit your side to hearts. If partner cannot support, you aren't playing hearts as a final contract. Also, to make game in a major requires less tricks than a minor, so our focus is always geared toward finding our major suit fits.

Partner really has an opening bid. Its a fair 12 with 5-4 shape. Passing this is very wrong.

Once partner passes, partner should definitely favor overcalling a five card suit than a four card suit for the same reasons above, although in general, overcalling shows a better suit than xxxxx, since one of the objectives of defensive bidding is to request a lead.

2. Over the 1 response, your only two choices are 2 and 2. Both show diamond raises, but 2 a limit raise, in case partner wants to compete further. Its doubtful you have a game after both of you have passed, but its important for partner to be involved.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users