BBO Discussion Forums: Bridge is a sport, game or who cares? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge is a sport, game or who cares?

#1 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-18, 18:46

From reading the "suit up" discussion on bridgewinners, it seems that the WBF are having another push at getting wider recognition of bridge as a sport. It was interesting to note quite a few of the superstars that posted to the discussion saying that bridge is a game, not a sport, which got me thinking about whether or not anyone really should care about how bridge is perceived by the general population.

I can think of a number of advantages for bridge to be treated as a sport, not the least of which is better access to government funding which is most definately the case in my country. But there are also some downsides such as drug testing (although some may argue that's an upside) and expensive uniform requirements for small NBOs and self-funded representative players.

What do people think?
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-July-18, 18:55

It is not a sport, Dave, regardless of the funding advantages of being declared as such.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-18, 19:20

Read the first paragraph of this.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-18, 22:35

Language evolves. Not so long ago there were only three sports: hunting, shooting and fishing. It seems archaic that financial breaks should hinge on whether physical activity is involved when that is the only distinguishing feature between activities which otherwise have in common far more significant characteristics that motivate the participants (and the flow of funds resulting) such as organised competition. Walk into a dedicate bridge club house and it will look not dissimilar to a golf club house; Silver trophies adorning cabinets, grand veneered plaques on the walls with the names of champions dating back over the decades and so on. Are we to assume that nanny state has our cardiovascular interests at heart in deciding to bestow its largesse on one activity but not the other?

The UK government has accepted that competitive flying of model aeroplanes is a "sport". Apparently, twiddling joysticks with your thumbs is a physical activity requiring the exercise of skill. Darts is also a sport, although one wonders whether the health benefits of exercising one arm in jettisoning a projectle weighing a few grams more than compensates for the quantity of alcohol consumed in the process.

If the general population is truly aligned with governments concerning the definition of "sport", then perhaps the legislation should not refer to "sport" but come up (if necessary) with some other term to embrace activities which are properly deserving of similar fiscal treatment in their relationship with taxing and subsidising authorities. As it stands are laws require senior judges to spend their time deciding whether a Jaffa cake is a cake or a biscuit, on which decision rests the fate of millions of pounds, only to find that the issue hinges on whether the item goes hard or soft if you leave it out in the open overnight.

The reality is that governments have a budget. They recognise that at one extreme there are activities which are clearly sports. At the other extreme there are activities which clearly are not. They desire that sports be afforded a particular status in their dealings with the Exchequer, as distinct from other, non-sport activities. In recognition that there are some activities which might fall on the borderline, depending on subjective criteria, they need an objective set of rules to decide the issue, and have hit upon the arbitrary requirement of physicical activity, however minute, as one such rule. They could just as easily have decided otherwise, but a decision was required and Bridge is one casualty of that decision.

In my locality, a bridge club was economically barred from changing premises so as to make it accessible to the elderly and disabled, essentially because it would have been blocked from recovering the VAT that would have been charged on the new premises. Sensible?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-July-18, 22:40

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-July-18, 22:35, said:

If the general population is truly aligned with governments concerning the definition of "sport", then perhaps the legislation should not refer to "sport" but come up (if necessary) with some other term to embrace activities which are properly deserving of similar fiscal treatment in their relationship with taxing and subsidising authorities.

Civil recreations?

#6 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-July-18, 23:01

I suppose the definition of a sport might be: "An activity whose primary players' average age is under 55" :)
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-18, 23:23

https://secure.wikim...a/en/wiki/Bowls

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-July-19, 00:27

Activities recognised in the UK (governed by EU) as sports are listed here
http://customs.hmrc....cument#P84_8496
at para 3.2
I see that shooting and fishing are still in there, but hunting is not. Perhaps it is because it has been made illegal. Although, since Hungerford, shooting is effectively illegal but I guess it is still out there somewhere. I wonder if grouse shooting counts.

Chess is not listed. Boxing is.
It doesn't mention Chess-Boxing, but I would expect that to be covered on application.
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Chess_boxing
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#9 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-19, 00:59

Sadly, bridge has little or no chance of recognition as a sport in Australia which applies the following definition:

'A human activity capable of achieving a result requiring physical exertion and/or physical skill which, by its nature and organisation, is competitive and is generally accepted as being a sport'.

It's unfortunate for bridge as we miss out on our share of the $2+ billion of government funding for sport in this country.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-July-19, 02:21

View Post1eyedjack, on 2011-July-19, 00:27, said:

Chess is not listed.

Chess is recognized as a sport in Germany.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-July-19, 02:44

The old soviet system treated chess as a sport, and look at the results they got. There are points both ways.

One layman's definition is that it's a sport if you don't standardly do it in normal (not training) shoes which holds for most cases.

Oh and to 1eyedjack, in darts and snooker, in many countries you're now no longer allowed to drink (or smoke) and play at the pro events.

#12 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-19, 03:13

To be good at <SPORT> you need:

-physical fitness
-regular training
-the ability to keep focused during the competition

Depending on the <SPORT> the peak performance is reached in the age range of 14-40. (In gymnastics and some freeclimbing competitions the peak is very young.)

This seems to apply to bridge in a similar way.

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2011-July-19, 05:15

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-July-19, 02:21, said:

Chess is recognized as a sport in Germany.

That is quite interesting. I wonder if its recognition as a sport is restricted in any way depending on context (ie VAT)? Because Germany and UK are both (last time I checked) in the EU and ultimately governed by EU law. In matters of this nature there is *supposed* to be cross-border harmony, so that no country can provide "state aid" that is not available throuhout Europe and so provide a distorted market.

#14 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2011-July-19, 06:21

There are always problems in the UK with bridge and chess at university level. WBF events are run by FISU (http://www.fisu.net) who recognises both bridge and chess. However their UK member, British Universities and Colleges Sport, recognises neither. As, officially, teams are supposed to be in good standing with the local FISU member this always causes an administrative headache.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#15 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-19, 06:28

This same discussion has come up for chess, and even Go. My reply to those applies equally to bridge: LOL
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#16 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-July-19, 06:49

From my perspective, the "Bridge is a Sport" movement is driven by three primary goals

1. Trying to qualify for federal funds that various countries reserve for sports

2. Sucking at the Olympic teat

(a) Selling Olympic medals to well heeled clients
(b) Participating in the widespread graft and corruption that is the Olympics

3. Allowing bridge players to compete in the Olympics

Personally, I think that the costs far outweigh the gains.

I understand why people who are anxious to promote bridge want to compete for Federal funds that are allocated for sports. However, at the end of the day the whole thing feels kind of sleezy. I know what a sport is and bridge isn't one of them. Lying about what you are for money feels wrong to me.

I think that allowing clients of any kind to compete in the Olympics is a grave disservice to what the Olympics stand for. (If/When the WBF ever re-petitions the IOC I intend to send in a strongly worded letter to that effect)

Personally, I think the costs of competing in the Olympics (random drug testing, uniforms, standards of deportment, yada yada yada) far outweighs the benefits. Regardless, I won't be effected. However, I know where my sympathies lie.

Some might argue that joining the Olympic games would be valuable in and of itself for promotion. Me, I don't expect to see much positive publicity from this. (How many people here have actually waatched Olympic badmitton?).

To the extent that we get any publicity, I suspect that it will largely consist of folks mocking us...
Alderaan delenda est

#17 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-19, 07:21

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-July-19, 06:49, said:

From my perspective, the "Bridge is a Sport" movement is driven by three primary goals

1. Trying to qualify for federal funds that various countries reserve for sports

2. Sucking at the Olympic teat

(a) Selling Olympic medals to well heeled clients
(b) Participating in the widespread graft and corruption that is the Olympics

3. Allowing bridge players to compete in the Olympics

I'm with you in terms of getting bridge into the Olympic Games being a silly objective, but I think it's manisfestly unfair that a passtime like archery, which has a way lower participation rate than bridge, gets hundreds of thousands of dollars thrown at it when bridge gets nothing.

#18 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-19, 07:50

View Postmrdct, on 2011-July-19, 07:21, said:

... I think it's manisfestly unfair that a passtime like archery, which has a way lower participation rate than bridge, gets hundreds of thousands of dollars thrown at it when bridge gets nothing.

Agree, and:

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-July-19, 06:49, said:

I know what a sport is and bridge isn't one of them. Lying about what you are for money feels wrong to me.

Agree.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#19 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-July-19, 07:55

View Postpaulg, on 2011-July-19, 06:21, said:

There are always problems in the UK with bridge and chess at university level. WBF events are run by FISU (http://www.fisu.net) who recognises both bridge and chess. However their UK member, British Universities and Colleges Sport, recognises neither. As, officially, teams are supposed to be in good standing with the local FISU member this always causes an administrative headache.

When I was at Cambridge, Oxford awarded a half blue for bridge but not chess, Cambridge did the reverse, not sure if this is still the case.

#20 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2011-July-19, 10:49

Bridge is not a sport, it's a mind sport, just like Bridge and Go. Of course, both "sport" and "mind sport" is difficult to define. When is a skill game a sport or mind sport? Does it count that there are world championships in Monopoly or Settlers of Catan? For physical sports, what about a world championship in sauna or toilet seat throwing?

Unlike other mind sports, Bridge has a huge image problem which hinders its recognition. The image of old ladies playing cards. In this sense, low-level chess is completely different from low-level bridge. But why should it be?
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users