• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What u call?

#21 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-15, 05:23

Trying for slam didn't occur to me. Yes we may have slam, and indeed, we might play 4H cold for slam, but it doesn't pay to get higher than 4H on a hand where you might go for 800 in 4H doubled.

Give me Ax AKQxxx x AQxx and then I might start thinking about double. But even then partner needs at least both black kings plus a few hearts for slam to be good. Give him the perfectly fitting Kxxx xx xxx Kxxx and I think we'd prefer not to be in slam. You need hearts to split 3-2, which is a lot less likely now that RHO has 7+ diamonds. You also need RHO not to have an 8-card diamond suit otherwise you'd be immediately down on a trump promotion. And if you get all that, you still need either clubs 3-2 (which has become less likely even now that RHO needed to hold 2+ hearts) or a black suited squeeze.

So to summarize, we'll be bidding 4H on hands that are quite a bit weaker as well as hands that are quite a bit stronger. The price we pay is that we occasionally go for a number or miss a good slam.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-15, 08:42

View PostTataie, on 2011-July-11, 09:09, said:

X.
If they are to bid 5 they will do it even if you x or bid 4.
The danger is to lose a slam since 4 is to be bid with hands not always strong but with a good quality suit.
You only need Axxxx to have a chance in 6.With AQxxx in front the slam gets almost cold.
If you bid 4 your pd will never know when you do it on this hand or with
xx AQJxxxxx x xx. Beside that you conserve the chance to play 3ntx when his pd has a hand with who might stay in x.
X for me.

If they sit on 3 NT DBL, they are probably making it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users