Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Competitive Play?

#1 User is offline   MeisterE 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-July-11, 05:52

To create competitive - the 4 players should be at or about the same self-evaluated skill level (imo). So I check the competitive play box, which is a completely superfluous check box (didn't take long to figure that one out). And here's my typical findings: Novice, beginners, intermediate, advanced, & expert (so called) players meshed in one playground. This causes many problems: first, it's not competitive play if everyone at the table is of a different caliper which induces the phenomenon of the 'hot-seat': players jumping around until they find a comparable player.

Why not create segregated rooms based on skill-level? MSN Gaming Zone had a great set-up; it's too bad they're not still around.

#2 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-July-11, 06:05

The obligatory once a month posting about skill level obv...

Anyway, I think having segregated rooms would be against the bridgebase theory and goal -- The self rating by itself is silly enough, splitting BBO up based on the ratings would be even sillier.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#3 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 06:14

MeisterE, I think there was an experimental feature in the new (flash) client, called "take me to an interesting table" (under "help me find a game"), that tried to match you with similar-level opponents.

#4 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-11, 10:19

Antrax, on 2011-July-11, 06:14, said:

MeisterE, I think there was an experimental feature in the new (flash) client, called "take me to an interesting table" (under "help me find a game"), that tried to match you with similar-level opponents.

Good suggestion. Theoretically this would work, but in practice...(we all know what happens)
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-July-11, 13:08

Antrax, on 2011-July-11, 06:14, said:

The feature you are referring to is still available on the web version and it is not experimental. Under Help me find a game > Play bridge there is an option to List interesting tables. This is a list of 10 tables or so, usually with locked seats, that the software selects as "most likely to suit you" taking into account various elements such as country, language, friends etc. I don't think skill level is one of them though.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 14:58

right, an interesting table is one with many kibitizers and/or with star players. Skill level does not factor in.

MeisterE: you will probably notice that most "experts" are very bad players while quite a few "novices" are rather good. Self rating doesn't work. It is not just a bridge thing. There was a poll showing that 80% of all americans think they have above-average driving skills.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   MeisterE 

• Pip

Posted 2011-July-11, 15:48

helene_t, on 2011-July-11, 14:58, said:

right, an interesting table is one with many kibitizers and/or with star players. Skill level does not factor in.

MeisterE: you will probably notice that most "experts" are very bad players while quite a few "novices" are rather good. Self rating doesn't work. It is not just a bridge thing. There was a poll showing that 80% of all americans think they have above-average driving skills.

I agree, Usually the U.S. players are not that good... But the Turkies seem to be great at any skill level.

#8 User is offline   MeisterE 

• Pip

Posted 2011-July-11, 15:52

Rossoneri, on 2011-July-11, 10:19, said:

Good suggestion. Theoretically this would work, but in practice...(we all know what happens)

Theoretically? I may be old school, but MSN gaming zone used to have bridge in its repertoire; it had 3 rooms I believe: Casual Play, Intermediate, & Expert. Something like that; it was great.

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 15:53

helene_t, on 2011-July-11, 14:58, said:

There is a List of Interesting Tables for playing too - not only for kibbing.

#10 User is offline   MeisterE 

• Pip

Posted 2011-July-11, 15:56

mtvesuvius, on 2011-July-11, 06:05, said:

The obligatory once a month posting about skill level obv...

Anyway, I think having segregated rooms would be against the bridgebase theory and goal -- The self rating by itself is silly enough, splitting BBO up based on the ratings would be even sillier.

How exactly would creating competitive game play be against any theory or goal? Maybe we should put little league baseball teams up against professionals.

#11 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-July-11, 16:09

MeisterE, on 2011-July-11, 15:56, said:

How exactly would creating competitive game play be against any theory or goal? Maybe we should put little league baseball teams up against professionals.

Don't worry - the chance that you will run into professionals playing random pickup games in the main bridge club is very very close to 0.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-11, 22:40

First of all, this seems very specific to BBO, not bridge in general. Why post in "General Bridge Discussion" instead of one of the BBO-specific forums down below?

Second, the "Competitive Play" checkbox doesn't mean "good competition" or "fair competition". It's just used to select which area of the BBO site to play in. There's the Main Bridge Club and the Relaxed Bridge Club. I assume if you check "competitive" it only looks for tables in the main club, if you check "relaxed" it searches the relaxed club, and if you check "I don't care" it will look in either.

#13 User is offline   JohnLinGU 

• Pip

Posted 2020-November-22, 11:31

Some of my friends click Refuse instead of Accept in 8-player game. I have asked them to aim right at Accept, but they did the same. Is there any way to do this instruction better? Or who has a screenshot to demonstrate it ? If you do, please email it to johnlin3699@gmail.com. Thank you very much. John L

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users