• You cannot reply to this topic

Nickell team

#21 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-July-10, 04:22

View PostMbodell, on 2011-July-10, 01:31, said:

Continuing the off-topic, begging the question now means prompting the question (as well as the traditional meaning of assuming the answer in the argument). Prescriptive grammarians can cringe, but language evolves over time.

I don't think it does. Perhaps the term is misused in that context, but nevertheless that is not its correct meaning.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-July-10, 09:48

View PostMbodell, on 2011-July-10, 01:31, said:

Continuing the off-topic, begging the question now means prompting the question (as well as the traditional meaning of assuming the answer in the argument). Prescriptive grammarians can cringe, but language evolves over time.

I don't agree with the first sentence. The real meaning of the phrase is very difficult to express any other way. Is it really inevitable to lose a useful, efficient phrase to express something that can be expressed in quite a few different ways?

When does one decide that an error is an alternative usage? Do we have to start accepting any number of spellings of "definite", "lead" when the meaning is "led", and all possible variant uses of "its" and "it's"? I don't think there should be an Académie anglais, but I also don't think that "anything goes" is the right approach.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#23 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2011-July-10, 10:36

Continuing the off-topic extravaganza bonanza, "their is noting wrong" gets 1,460 hits in google, in double quotes with that exact spelling, even though there is nothing wrong with it
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#24 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-July-10, 12:10

Great, the idiom police.

I sympathize, because the phrase, "I could care less" has the same effect on me.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#25 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-10, 12:14

"'Contact' is not a verb!" -- Nero Wolfe, explaining to Archie Goodwin why he is ripping pages out of his brand new Webster's New International Dictionary (pub. 1934) and burning them in the fireplace.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#26 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-10, 17:22

I thought the title of the thread would lead to an interesting read then it lead, led, thud to this?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#27 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-31, 16:38

View Postggwhiz, on 2011-July-10, 17:22, said:

I thought the title of the thread would lead to an interesting read then it lead, led, thud to this?

Afte reading House of Cards, thats some of our money out there paying these guys.

#28 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2011-August-01, 15:22

IMHO the Monaco team is a very deserving champion of the Spingold and Fantoni-Nunes play a fascinating system. Nickell has one of the best bridge pairs around in Meckwell but his team needed ghastly misplays by their opponents in three different rounds just to get to the final. Monaco asserted themselves in the final and just took over after the half.

#29 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-August-01, 18:53

View PostFoxx, on 2011-August-01, 15:22, said:

IMHO the Monaco team is a very deserving champion of the Spingold and Fantoni-Nunes play a fascinating system. Nickell has one of the best bridge pairs around in Meckwell but his team needed ghastly misplays by their opponents in three different rounds just to get to the final. Monaco asserted themselves in the final and just took over after the half.
I stayed up all night to watch the final on BBO. Excellent commentary. Educational, exciting, and enjoyable :) All players performed brilliantly :) Both sides deserved to win :).

#30 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-01, 21:53

I'll try to get this topic back on track. Frank (Nick) Nickell realized that Hamman-Zia didn't make a good pair, and he looked around to find the best USA pair to fix his dry run. Levin-Weinstein fit that bill; I would actually take them over Meckwell since May 2010. Martin Fleisher was able to grab Rosenberg-Willenken, who I think is an up and coming pair. Bob Hamman is partnering Bart Bramley on team Blanchard (father Bob - son Shane), along with Hurd-Woolridge (playing on USA 2 for the Bermuda Bowl). Zia seems to be alone at the moment.

http://www.bridgewin...leisher-in-2012

http://www.bridgewin...-for-next-cycle
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#31 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-01, 22:43

View Postchasetb, on 2011-August-01, 21:53, said:

I'll try to get this topic back on track. Frank (Nick) Nickell realized that Hamman-Zia didn't make a good pair, and he looked around to find the best USA pair to fix his dry run. Levin-Weinstein fit that bill; I would actually take them over Meckwell since May 2010. Martin Fleisher was able to grab Rosenberg-Willenken, who I think is an up and coming pair. Bob Hamman is partnering Bart Bramley on team Blanchard (father Bob - son Shane), along with Hurd-Woolridge (playing on USA 2 for the Bermuda Bowl). Zia seems to be alone at the moment.

http://www.bridgewin...leisher-in-2012

http://www.bridgewin...-for-next-cycle

btw I think Bob and Bart may even work at same place ....in any event they live next to each other......Justin will Know much more on this subject.

#32 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-02, 08:12

View Postmike777, on 2011-August-01, 22:43, said:

btw I think Bob and Bart may even work at same place ....in any event they live next to each other......Justin will Know much more on this subject.

they do
OK
bed

#33 User is offline   Tomi2 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-02, 09:47

"Bob Hamman is partnering Bart Bramley...
Zia seems to be alone at the moment"

would be more than logical when Zia partners Welland now, who played the last events with Bramley - since Zia and Roy often play together in various events

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users