Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lemons out of Lemonade

#1 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-September-24, 16:34

Last hand of the night in a club pairs game. You subside in 2.

T1. Q, ducked around
T2. small to Ace
T3. small , LHO rose with the Ace
T4. 9 to 10, ruffed.
T5 - T8 - 4 rounds of trump to get to:

Now West feels the pinch and I make 4 for +170. No comments on the fact that West defended this horribly.

Besides wanting to share this with you all, what would you label this as? It looks a little like a winkle, but it seems to be a triple without the count. Any other suggestions?
"Phil" on BBO

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-September-24, 23:32

This is an interesting ending. It has features of a winkle squeeze, a delayed duck squeeze, a double quard squeeze, a steppingstone squeeze, and of a compound squeeze. I will make a stab at giving it a name at the end...

First, imagine swapping the diamond King and heart Jack, and it would be just a delayed duck squeeze... what clyde love calls a CLE squeeze (companion, lead, entry).

But this is different. It is also a lot like a double guard squeeze. To see that relationship, exchange the diamond Queen and king (since the diamond Ten has magically disappeared). So when west throws a diamond, he exposes his partner to a finessee...but East has a winner, and the loser count is two instead of one/

So I guess this could be considered a double-quard CLE squeeze, with the Companion, small diamond in dummy, the lead, will be EAST's own endplay when he wins the diamond King, and entry will be the diamond itself.

But, as you noted, this also has all the earmarks of a winkle squeeze, except for the two major differences. There are three threat suits, not two. And instead of the person being squeeze being threatened with a throw in for and endplay, if he unblocks, his partner is thrown in and endplayed.

Ok, so then this sounds more like a steppingstone squeeze, except here it is his partner who is going to serve as the stepping stone, and three threat suits exist rather than the person being squeezed.

A compound squeeze is one where an opponent is squeezed in three suits, and when he abandons one of the suits, he exposes his side to a double squeeze. There is no double squeeze, but if West abandons hearts or clubs, it gives up a trick immediately, while if he discards a diamond, he exposes his parnter to a stepping stone ending. So I guess I would call it a compound stepping stone squeeze... But what it really was was horrible defense, so call it the self-inflected steppingstone suicide hand.

Ben
--Ben--

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users