BBO Discussion Forums: What would you bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What would you bid? Bidding.

Poll: Your bid, please. (32 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you bid in MP scoring (SAYC)?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 1 NT (31 votes [96.88%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 96.88%

3. 2 Hearts (1 votes [3.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

4. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Chainat 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-June-23, 10:22

Your partner opens 1 , what will you bid with the following hand?

I thought bidding was so easy, but I was taught a lesson. :-)

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-23, 10:32

I don't have 3 spades, so I can't support spades. I'm too strong to pass, so I can't pass. I'm too weak to bid 2/1 because I cannot promise a rebid (for example if it went 1S-2H-2S then I'd want to pass), so I bid 1NT.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2011-June-23, 10:51

This is a special case in SAYC and 2requires 5 hearts and 11 HCP, even the most aggressive bidder couldn't stretch to that. We want to keep the bidding open and with a bit of luck partner may be 5/4 in the majors. So its 1NT for me

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-June-23, 10:58

The response to the OP's question is going to be unanimous (or, at least, I hope it will be unanimous).

The more interesting question is what do you do when opener rebids 2 of a minor. Do you bid 2 (long hearts, weak hand) or 2 (preference to spades)? 2 could easily be the winning call opposite Hx or any three card heart holding in opener's hand. But 2 is likely to be the winning call anytime opener is short in hearts.

However, with the strong heart spots (T98) I would lean to 2. The heart suit is likely to provide few tricks for declarer in a spade contract, but quite a few in a heart contract. Declarer's spade suit may provide tricks in either contract.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 10:58

This is not a serious question - it is clearly a feeder-troll so if the OP can just skip forward with the story it will save us some time...
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-23, 11:17

Come on, this is basic knowledge and doesn't even belong in the beginner/intermediate section.

EDIT: I don't want to sound unfriendly to B/I. But since 2 posters quoted me, it's rather useless to delete the whole sentence.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 12:15

View PostFree, on 2011-June-23, 11:17, said:

Come on, this is basic knowledge and doesn't even belong in the beginner/intermediate section.

I agree that it is basic knowledge, but I think that any question is fair game in the B/I section since beginners should be given a wide range to ask questions and learn.

Personally, there are things I'm unsure of and questions I ask that might be deemed "too basic for B/I", but that doesn't mean I'm not in earnest when I ask them.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-June-23, 12:47

View PostZelandakh, on 2011-June-23, 10:58, said:

This is not a serious question - it is clearly a feeder-troll so if the OP can just skip forward with the story it will save us some time...

Maybe we should at least wait until the 5th post of the OP before we start throwing out the T-word.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-June-23, 14:10

View PostFree, on 2011-June-23, 11:17, said:

The last time I made a similar comment about an identical post I was accused of being unfriendly to B/I.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-23, 20:46

When it comes to promoting this game everyone is up for it, but if experienced players/forum members cant be patient with B/I players or newcomers to forum, i dont see how we can manage to promote this game or forums.

Free, ironically u complain from members policing the forums/votes, yet u say him that his question does not even have a place in anywhere in these forums including B/I section. And at the top of it you gave him a down vote. Considering some of the funny stuff in A/E section u see (such as my posts :D ) dont u think u were a bit harsh ?

At least the guy gave some infos that most fail to mention, such as scoring and the system we play :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-June-24, 05:01

This is not the B/I forum. I also took the liberty of checking the hand record before posting - sure enough the bidding on this hand was 1S - 1NT - 3NT - 4H making for somewhat over 70% of the MPs. I can also see from the hand records that this was a toruny hand and that the OP did not play any additional hands in this tourny. So I have a fairly strong idea that there is a backstory here and that this is the feeder technique in action. Oh yes, thanks for the cherries, my reward for researching before posting!
(-: Zel :-)

#12 User is offline   Chainat 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-June-24, 07:04

View PostZelandakh, on 2011-June-23, 10:58, said:

You are absolutely right.

I was taught a lesson continously for about 20 minutes after the board finished - that it was beginners mistake that I made.

As you already mentioned - I bid 1NT - which I hope that every player would do. I really can't see any other option, but my "dear" partner believes that 2 is mandatory.

Upon the jump to 3NT - I bid 4 , and after I believe 3 minutes thinking a pass finally came up.

I believe a question regarding that bid would be a great topic!
:rolleyes:

As well as for:
1 - 1 NT
2 minor - ??

Own suit or the doubleton preference to or........

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users