Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Simple declarer play problem

#1 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-26, 11:58

That's the bidding from one table, at others LHO showed big major 2 suiter in one way or the other.
The lead is 2, your play ?

It was missed by Meckstroth, Greco-Hampson, Helgemo-Helness and few others but made by local Polish stars.
Quite surprising if you ask me as I am not sure if it would qualify for bridge master level 4 :)

Have fun :)

#2 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-26, 12:06

View Postbluecalm, on 2011-June-26, 11:58, said:

That's the bidding from one table, at others LHO showed big major 2 suiter in one way or the other.
The lead is 2, your play ?

It was missed by Meckstroth, Greco-Hampson, Helgemo-Helness and few others but made by local Polish stars.
Quite surprising if you ask me as I am not sure if it would qualify for bridge master level 4 :)

I am just waiting for somebody to give the line that would make. I see no way (which does not mean there is no way).
Didn't even see it doubledummy, this was from Swiss 7 on Poznan today so I know what EW hands are.

#3 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-26, 12:16

The lead is almost surely a singleton so you have to play ace.

It seems like the only hope to avoid losing two diamonds and a spade is to get a ruff and discard from LHO somehow. This would be more likely if you had a better spade spot in dummy, but you can try the following:

Ace of diamonds. Ace of hearts, ruff a heart. Club to ten, ruff a heart, cash a club. Spade up. If LHO ducks then you can make without difficulty. So say he wins the ace. We are assuming he is out of minor suit cards at this point. If he returns a heart you can ruff in dummy (pitch a diamond) and pitch a diamond on the spade king. So he must return a spade. We win with the king (pitch a diamond) and play a third spade (pitch another diamond) hoping that LHO will be forced to win and give a ruff-sluff. Again, this would be a lot more likely to work if dummy had the spade jack or ten.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-26, 12:18

Well, maybe that's because I recently went through all Martens' declarer play problems as well as most issues of dotw but it seemed really basic. I was kinda surprised declarer didn't get it but he was unknown (to me) so well, ok. Then I saw Meck also failed and then all those other top guys. Must be something to it if they all had this blind spot.

#5 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-26, 12:19

I'll play west for 5=5=1=2.

Win A of diamonds, A of hearts, ruff a heart. Club to dummy, ruff a heart. A of clubs. If West followed to all of these, the contract is nearly assured. Play spade towards King. If it wins, then I am done. I assume West wins his Ace, and instead of giving me a ruff sluff for the 11th trick, plays another spade. Win the King, and throw him in again.

I have to hope West's spades are AQJT9 I guess. Otherwise East can win the third spade.

Edit: awm types faster than I do.

This post has been edited by BunnyGo: 2011-June-26, 12:19

Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users