• You cannot reply to this topic

bridge equilibrium

#1 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2011-June-06, 06:13

is there such a thinh as the nash equilibrium for the game of bridge?

Sometimes rank beginners steal the score. I was playing with an 8 year old boy as a partber. At first he had a strong hand and he opened at the 3 level (more cards more open). After the hand was over i yold him, we open at the 3 level when we have no cards to scare the opps.

A couple of hands later he opened 3 Clubs. He had a complete yarborough with 4 cards in clubs and a 4-1 fit.
He played 3 clubs for a -250 score, undoubled, the opps had a slam, but had no idea how to defend, then accused the boy of psyching.

I say he just upset the bash equilibrium cart. Does that make sense?

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-06, 06:45

It has nothing to do with the Nash Equilibrium. The "par score" you can calculate given all four hands and double-dummy play is an example of a NE. In a way, weak bids demonstrate it. Playing randomly to screw with opponents has nothing to do with it, though.

#3 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-June-06, 07:13

View Postbabalu1997, on 2011-June-06, 06:13, said:

is there such a thinh as the nash equilibrium for the game of bridge?

Sometimes rank beginners steal the score. I was playing with an 8 year old boy as a partber. At first he had a strong hand and he opened at the 3 level (more cards more open). After the hand was over i yold him, we open at the 3 level when we have no cards to scare the opps.

A couple of hands later he opened 3 Clubs. He had a complete yarborough with 4 cards in clubs and a 4-1 fit.
He played 3 clubs for a -250 score, undoubled, the opps had a slam, but had no idea how to defend, then accused the boy of psyching.

I say he just upset the bash equilibrium cart. Does that make sense?

Yep, it is good to always question your methods.... and those of others...
Bidding is just a coded language, and most important is, that you speak the same language as your partner.

And almost as important, that you understand some of the language of your opponents...

Bob Herreman

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-06, 07:21

I was playing with an 8 year old boy as a partber. ... [The opponents] then accused the boy of psyching.

This belongs in the "bridge is dying?" thread.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-June-06, 08:45

It's been a long time since I spent any time working with existence proofs, however:

1. Bridge is a finite game
2. I'd better dollars to donuts that a Nash equilbirum exists
3. The existence of said equilbrium says nothing about the ability to describe said equilbrium

With this said and done: It sounds like your partner was randomly flailing rather than making an informed decision about expectation maximization. I'd be hesitant to trot out game theory constructs...
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-June-06, 12:29

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-June-06, 08:45, said:

It's been a long time since I spent any time working with existence proofs, however:

3. The existence of said equilbrium says nothing about the ability to describe said equilbrium

Bridge is a probabilistic game. Chess is deterministic. Does Nash equilibriums even exists for probabilistic games? Is there a Nash equilibrium for hold'em? The two person game has been 'solved' and the favorite still loses quite often.

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-06, 12:39

View Postjogs, on 2011-June-06, 12:29, said:

Bridge is a probabilistic game. Chess is deterministic. Does Nash equilibriums even exists for probabilistic games? Is there a Nash equilibrium for hold'em? The two person game has been 'solved' and the favorite still loses quite often.
Yes, it exists. For instance, the NE for rock, paper, scissors is playing each with 1/3 probability.
Nash equilibria (is that a word?) for Texas Hold'Em certainly is relevant, mostly in the area of (semi-)bluffing frequency and most adjustments you make for stack size in tournament play. Informally, a strategy that is NE for such games has the characteristic that if I tell you what I'm doing, you won't be able to use the knowledge to beat me. So if I tell you "I am going to bet 2/7th of the time I raise preflop and the flop is ace rag rag and I don't have the ace, and 100% of the time when I have the ace" (just random numbers, don't use this strategy), and you work out the math and figure out that you get even expectation between calling me, raising me and folding, then you've been Nash Equilibrium-ed.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-06, 12:39

then accused the boy of psyching.

What does "accused the boy of psyching" mean? Did they suggest that, if he did psych, he should not have done?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-June-06, 16:50

View PostAntrax, on 2011-June-06, 12:39, said:

Yes, it exists. For instance, the NE for rock, paper, scissors is playing each with 1/3 probability.
Nash equilibria (is that a word?)

Equilibria is the plural of equilibrium.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-June-06, 17:21

... accused the boy of psyching.

It's still legal to psych, isn't it? What difference does it make, whether he psyched or not?

#11 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2011-June-06, 18:11

Everytime you can get an edge by knowing what the other people are doing there is a Nash Equilibrium.

Probabilistic, deterministic, finite, infite , cooperative or competitive it doesnt really matter. What really matter is the possibility or gaining or giving information away and that information is useful for designing strategies.

In chess game for example knowing your opponent opening repertoire will help you prepare for the game but he too will know that you have acces to the information and he will have the choice of throwing you a "curveball" or sticking to his usuall fastball. On the road the tendencies of the other drivers will influence your driving strategies wich will influence the other drivers and at the end there is some sort of possible maxima
equilibrium.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#12 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-06, 22:15

benlessard, that's not entirely true. For instance, let's play the "open interval" game, where we both pick a number smaller than 1 and whoever picks the greater number wins. Clearly if I know your strategy I can win. What's the NE for this game?
The examples you give are also not NE. Again, informally, a NE is a sort of a stable state (hence the name "equilibrium"), where if all the players in a game know what the other guys are going to be doing, they still don't want to change their choice of strategy.

Thanks blackshoe. It's what I thought except sometimes that plural form is incorrect (like "fora" not being the plural of "forums")

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-06, 22:30

View Postjogs, on 2011-June-06, 17:21, said:

It's still legal to psych, isn't it?

Not on most BBO tourneys it isn't (not that the OP was playing in a BBO tourney, I suspect).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#14 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-06, 23:44

I dont really understand the open interval game. If its a number theory game or deal with infinites than maybe there exceptions.

From what i understand. In a symmetric game Player A show his matchplan to B.

A = a%, B =b%, C=c% etc

B has an optimal strategy to counter A plan. Player B matrix payoff will yield a profit because of B ability to know player A plan. But in such game, its possible for A to randomize the decision in a way that even if player B know the matchplan he wont be able to get a +EV result and that is a NE.

If its impossible to compute the best strategy because of raw complexity or because the other player play poorly, than i admit NE is going to be impossible to reach but its still there in theory.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#15 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-06, 23:53

Okay, that's a lot more accurate. I probably misunderstood your previous post.
Playing poorly is no defense. It's possible the NE strategy for player B will benefit less against poor player A than some other strategy B can adopt (this is what usually happens with poker - if you want to gain the most from people's poor play, you should make strategic adaptations that overall make you play poorer too), but the NE will not show negative EV (assuming zero-sum game). In the example in the opening post, if those opponents would keep playing that pair, on the long run they would gain from his random 3 bids. They could design a bidding system meant to deal with random 3 interference that says nothing and gain even more, but just playing good bridge should suffice.

#16 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-07, 05:07

For the op the way that i see it is

Pair A, never psych

Pair B psych X% amount

pair C psych twice as often as pair B.

Pair D (Us)

If pair D play against ABC but dont know them and dont play long enough to learn their tendency. We (Pair D) will keep the same strategies against all of them but we are going to have a different payoff matrix against each of them. Our strategy will deal against their psyching habit a certain way. Those payoff matrix have nothing to do wiht NE. Its possible pair C just psych too much and get bad results agaisnt us even if we have dont have any method to deal with psych.

2nd case we get to know ABC and devise a strategies against them knowing their psych habits. (for example against the pair who never psych i use some double that are normally penalty and played them takeout.)etc

Now if we can get better results with 1 specific strategy against each of them, its because this new information (their psyching ratio) give me an edge. If that is the case than there is a NE somewhere. There is a psych % amount that even if it know it i will not be able to devise a counter strategy that will yield profit. This is a NE. Any deviation of this % ratio of psych can be exploited if we know the deviation.

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-June-07, 08:10

View PostAntrax, on 2011-June-06, 22:15, said:

Thanks blackshoe. It's what I thought except sometimes that plural form is incorrect (like "fora" not being the plural of "forums")

Interesting. My dictionary app has three definitions for "forum", for the first two of which the plural is specified to be "forums". The third sense is

( pl. fora |ˈfôrə|) (in an ancient Roman city) a public square or marketplace used for judicial and other purposes.

:D
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#18 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2011-June-07, 08:18

View PostAntrax, on 2011-June-06, 06:45, said:

It has nothing to do with the Nash Equilibrium. The "par score" you can calculate given all four hands and double-dummy play is an example of a NE. In a way, weak bids demonstrate it. Playing randomly to screw with opponents has nothing to do with it, though.

View PostVampyr, on 2011-June-06, 12:39, said:

What does "accused the boy of psyching" mean?
The boy's opponents accused him of playing Bridge. Optimal Bridge strategy mandates the occasional psych.

#19 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-07, 15:26

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-June-06, 08:45, said:

With this said and done: It sounds like your partner was randomly flailing rather than making an informed decision about expectation maximization. I'd be hesitant to trot out game theory constructs...

"Matchpoints is a multi-player game and hence does not have a Nash equilibrium." - Bob Hamman

Oh, that's not quite how the quote goes? I am sure that's what he meant though!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#20 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-07, 15:52

View Postjogs, on 2011-June-06, 12:29, said:

Moreover, the existence of a Nash Equilibrium is dependent on the ability to employ "mixed strategies". See, for example, the Matching Pennies game.

http://en.wikipedia....atching_pennies

There are other types of equilibrium depending on whether the game has incomplete information or imperfect information; whether the game is static or dynamic; and whether the game is deterministic or stochastic. Search the following terms:

Subgame Perfect Equilibrium
Bayesian-Nash Equilibrium
Perfect Bayesian Equilibrium
Sequential Equilibrium
Stochastic Game

You can (obviously) spend a lot of time learning these concepts, but I will say that most of them have been studied extensively before!
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users