BBO Discussion Forums: Most Desired Rebid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most Desired Rebid

Poll: Most Desired Rebid (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Which rebid would you most like to hear?

1. H (best), D, C (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

2. D (best), H, C (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. C (best), H, D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. H (best), C, D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. D (best), C, H (14 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

6. C (best), D, H (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Adobe BC 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-June-07, 11:27

Partner has opened 1 , showing 5+, and is about to make a natural rebid in another suit. Which side suit rebid improves your hand the most? Is there a big gap in how you value the other possible rebids?

#2 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-07, 11:58

Diamonds is clearly the best.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-June-07, 12:33

View PostAdobe BC, on 2011-June-07, 11:27, said:

Partner has opened 1 , showing 5+, and is about to make a natural rebid in another suit. Which side suit rebid improves your hand the most? Is there a big gap in how you value the other possible rebids?

How is he possibly gonna show a side suit when u hold this and respond ? Only thing comes to my mind is if u start with 2, then of course side better than side .

But in reality you will either bid 3, or 4 or some sort of splinter bid, which in this case pd will not be available to show a side suit, unless of course you guys never cuebid.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-07, 12:48

Maybe we play natural slam tries (help suit slam tries as GIB calls them) over 3. Or maybe this is a 2NT response in our methods, and partner shows a side suit over this.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   jh51 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-07, 13:34

Like others, I am curious about your response. With most of my partners, my response with your hand is a splinter bid of 4, so he hardly has room to rebid another suit except to cue bid.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2011-June-07, 15:00

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-June-07, 12:48, said:

Maybe we play natural slam tries (help suit slam tries as GIB calls them) over 3. Or maybe this is a 2NT response in our methods, and partner shows a side suit over this.

Maybe.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-07, 19:14

View Postjh51, on 2011-June-07, 13:34, said:

Like others, I am curious about your response. With most of my partners, my response with your hand is a splinter bid of 4, so he hardly has room to rebid another suit except to cue bid.

Bergen
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-June-07, 21:52

Who cares about reality, the guy is asking a hypothetical, does it really matter how based in reality it is?

I mean he could have asked the question "If we had this hand, what is the best side 4+ card suit partner can have? Rank them in order." They all have their merits, a stiff in a side suit when we have 4 trumps is alright because we can ruff them, and if we had 5 trumps would be really nice. A 5 small is nice in partners length because something like AKxxx is no losers, and an AQx is nice because even though we have the worst length we have honors.

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-08, 06:00

Agree with jlogic, it doesn't matter what we would respond because it's irrelevant. For all we know, this hand may be described with 1-2 showing a good raise, and opener makes a long suit trial.

I think improves our hand most because opener may easily have a 5=3=4=1 in which case we have some cross-ruffs available. Next in line is because we control the reds and our length can be very helpful. A rebid is only good if it's a poor suit, which is usually not the case. So for me >>.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-June-09, 16:14

Does it depend on how good a hand partner has, and how good a suit he has?

If he's making a game-try, diamonds is best: AQxxx xx KJxx xx is better than AQxxx KJxx xx xx or AQxxx xx xx KJxx.

If he's making a slam try with a moderate suit, we might prefer him to have hearts: AQxxx KJxx Kx Ax is better than AQxxx Kx KJxx Ax, AQxxx Ax KJxx Kx or AQxxx Ax Kx KJxx.

On the other hand, AQxxx xx xx AKQx is better than AQxxx AKQx xx xx.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-June-09, 20:28

AQxxx Axx KJxx x (14 count) is better than AQxxx KJxx Kx Ax (17 count) and AQxxx xx xx AKQx (15 count).
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#12 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-June-10, 10:31

View Postgnasher, on 2011-June-09, 16:14, said:

If he's making a game-try, diamonds is best: AQxxx xx KJxx xx is better than AQxxx KJxx xx xx or AQxxx xx xx KJxx.

But is AQJ10x xx xxxx Ax better than AQJ10x xxxx xx Ax?

I think diamonds is clearly best btw, but I don't think that this kind of argument is very strong.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users