• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Swiss Team Scoring

#21 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-28, 10:59

I dont understand people who think w/l is more random then accounting for margin of victory. Please name for me some kind of competition where you have head to head matches, and instead of winning those, its the margins of victory that determine outcome. Who were the NFL champions in 2007? Who were the world cup champions in 2006, was it teams who blasted their opponents?
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#22 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-28, 11:08

View Postrduran1216, on 2011-May-28, 10:59, said:

I dont understand people who think w/l is more random then accounting for margin of victory.

Well, by now even the dumbest basketball writer has started to understand that average margin of victory is a better predictor for winning future games than the win/loss record. So maybe there is still hope for you, too.

Please name for me some kind of competition where you have head to head matches, and instead of winning those, its the margins of victory that determine outcome.

Chess Olympiad.
Ok that's in a way a flawed example but in any case I don't understand what this question is trying to prove.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#23 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-28, 11:11

There's more than one format of bridge and there are formats that are won based on the criteria you prefer. Just like there's matchpoint vs. IMP events there's also Swiss vs. head-to-head events.

If someone thinks matchpoints are dumb, I'm not convinced they should crusade to make the scoring of all games of that format similar to the format they prefer :P

Matchpoints is probably an appropriate analogy in this situation. In a 12 board match a team could win 11-1 at BAM and lose 14-11 at IMPs. (Yes I know people will play differently under the different formats)
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#24 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-28, 11:15

First, swiss team scoring is just very random, especially in a short event. It will always be the case that a single "lucky" board where opponents do something anti-percentage can decide a match, or prevent you from blitzing, or whatever. This has little to do with whether the scoring is W/L or VP.

As for comparing to football, in the NFL playoffs when a team loses they are out. In the world cup (after the initial group phase) when a team loses they are out. But in swiss teams, we want everyone to continue playing until the end of the event, and we want to make sure that teams who suffer an unlucky close loss have the chance to come back and win. A W/L system makes this impossible; once you lose a match you are (probably) out of contention.

If you look at baseball's regular season for an example (or the NBA), you might notice that the same pairs of teams are playing each other multiple times. At the end of the season, you don't add things up and say, well the Yankees won ten out of eighteen games with the Red Sox so we give the Yankees a "WIN" for that series... and the Yankees won two out of eighteen games with the Rays so that's a "LOSS" and they are 1-1. No, you count every single game separately even if it's against the same team. If you look at a bridge event in this way, and say that every single board should count in the standings rather than somehow combining into a "total result against that team"... well, you get BAM scoring... but it's a lot closer.

This also makes sense from the standpoint that you don't usually know what your "match score" is and can't adapt strategy to sacrifice a "big win" in order try to win by a narrow margin (i.e. running out the clock).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#25 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-28, 13:07

Aaron you have provided a lot of evidence that the 20VP scale is capable of selecting a winning team which did not play the best bridge. If this is your only point, then I think we can all agree with you and move on.

#26 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-28, 13:20

:rolleyes:

Just say for arguments sake that some bozo doubles you in a Rock contract which you re-double and it brings in a Shedload of imps.

Because of this abonimation should you win the overall event ???? ;)

#27 User is offline   qwery_hi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-28, 14:09

(move on) and play KOs and pairs.

View Postrogerclee, on 2011-May-28, 13:07, said:

Aaron you have provided a lot of evidence that the 20VP scale is capable of selecting a winning team which did not play the best bridge. If this is your only point, then I think we can all agree with you and move on.

Alle Menschen werden bruder.

Where were you while we were getting high?

#28 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-May-28, 14:30

In Louisville in the final Sunday Swiss, they used a 30 point scale which put a lot weight into winning and de-emphasized the short blow-out matches you'll have against a weak team.

I enjoyed this format. If you give me the other teams match results ill tell you if you would have beat them in a 30 point format.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#29 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-28, 14:48

In Texas they still use VP 30. I hate it and always tried to lobby against it (obv unsuccessfully).

#30 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-May-28, 15:10

I don't know the VP scales very well, but capping the VP's at 25 as they do in international tournaments has always seemed like a good idea to me.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#31 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2011-May-28, 15:54

They won, you finished 2nd. Rather than revamp the whole scoring system because you managed a 2 imp victory over them in your 6 board head to head, which is not conclusive proof that you would have beaten them in a 24 board heads up match, why don't you just deal with it & move on to the next one.
Chris Gibson

#32 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-May-28, 16:11

View PostCSGibson, on 2011-May-28, 15:54, said:

They won, you finished 2nd. Rather than revamp the whole scoring system because you managed a 2 imp victory over them in your 6 board head to head, which is not conclusive proof that you would have beaten them in a 24 board heads up match, why don't you just focus on learning to play better so that you win more frequently

FYP

#33 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-May-28, 19:18

View Postrduran1216, on 2011-May-28, 01:12, said:

The counter to that is that no matter what the disparity in ability, the nature of the boards in a 6-board match could be the determining factor in how wide the victory margin is.

At one table, you have 5 cold games, and one partscore. So you make a good decision to buy the contract on the partscore hand and pick up 5 imps lets say winning the match by 9 (overtricks in the other hands)

At the other table, a team has 3 hands where game can be made by either side, and a slam out which only one side bids. They similarly outplay their opponents, but because of the nature of the hands, blitz and eclipse the other winning team's results.

I similarly dont think its close, and that a premium should be put on doing the best with the hands you are dealt, not taking advantage of mismatches when the boards invite more excitement.

Well, I wouldn't wish to play in an event where Swiss Team hands are not duplicated. I would avoid them if I were you.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#34 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-May-28, 19:30

View PostVampyr, on 2011-May-28, 19:18, said:

Well, I wouldn't wish to play in an event where Swiss Team hands are not duplicated. I would avoid them if I were you.

Not easy to do the the U.S.

Edit: I lied..all you would have to do is not play swiss teams at all, except in NA+ events.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2011-May-28, 19:35

"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#35 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-28, 21:27

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-May-28, 19:30, said:

Not easy to do the the U.S.

Edit: I lied..all you would have to do is not play swiss teams at all, except in NA+ events.

The 3-day North American swiss only has preduped boards on the last day.

The top teams on the second day of the 2-day swisses get preduped boards, but not everyone does.

#36 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2011-May-28, 21:32

View PostVampyr, on 2011-May-28, 19:18, said:

Well, I wouldn't wish to play in an event where Swiss Team hands are not duplicated.

Been on the right side of The Pond for a while, huh? Sorry, couldn't resist...

#37 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-May-28, 21:42

Exactly, Roger. So someone advising rduran to avoid events without predupes seems to be saying, "don't play Swiss." Which I don't think is helpful. Even Gibson's advice seems more useful, even though a bit personal ---Duran frequently posts some items which less experienced people might gain from upon viewing the responses.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#38 User is offline   shintaro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-29, 01:05

View PostBbradley62, on 2011-May-28, 21:32, said:

Been on the right side of The Pond for a while, huh? Sorry, couldn't resist...

:D

At least some of us are :lol:

#39 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-May-29, 02:05

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-May-28, 21:42, said:

Exactly, Roger. So someone advising rduran to avoid events without predupes seems to be saying, "don't play Swiss."

No, we're saying "move to Europe".
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#40 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-29, 03:13

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-May-28, 21:42, said:

Exactly, Roger. So someone advising rduran to avoid events without predupes seems to be saying, "don't play Swiss." Which I don't think is helpful. Even Gibson's advice seems more useful, even though a bit personal ---Duran frequently posts some items which less experienced people might gain from upon viewing the responses.

Well, look at it this way. The OP doesn't like Swiss scored by VPs without pre-duped boards, because of the randomness of some teams getting swingier boards than others. There are two solutions to this (other than just ignoring the issue): try to play in Swisses with pre-duped boards or try to play in Swisses scored by pure win-loss. Even in the US I'd bet it's easier to find the former than the latter, so I think it is worthwhile advice.

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users