BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB Another slam missed

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-May-21, 21:18

3 shows support with a non-minimum hand.
4NT would have been RKCB at any moment after 3.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-21, 22:21

Hanoi5, on 2011-May-21, 21:18, said:

4NT would have been RKCB at any moment after 3.

Darn. I looked at the bidding diagram and thought after 3C 3S patterned out, and then 4D over 4C was kicking back with the correct answer ---followed by a brain fart by opener.

The statement that 4NT would have been the asker, screwed me up. Maybe it screwed them up, too.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-May-21, 22:27

aguahombre, on 2011-May-21, 22:21, said:

The statement that 4NT would have been the asker, screwed me up. Maybe it screwed them up, too.

So you blame the result on not playing a convention? Nice.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-May-21, 23:57

Whatever. I was suggesting maybe they had a misunderstanding.

But, since you brought it up --and since if you read my post you might notice that the exact same sequence thru 5C would give them the information they need for the slam --- then, yeh, the blame might be on their system where 4NT is BW for clubs.

This post has been edited by aguahombre: 2011-May-22, 00:15

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-May-22, 02:40

Assuming that 3 showed something in spades, I think West should insist on slam. He has a huge hand opposite the jump shift and subsequent slam try.

We don't have to use Blackwood on every deal, but West should use it this time in case there is a grand slam. After hearing of three keycards, West can envisage seven - AK AKxx x AJxxxx makes it cold - so he should probably bid 5NT to show all the key cards. East will know that K is missing because West didn't cue-bid it, so he'll sign off.

It would be nice to get to 7 with xxx Jx Axxx KQxx opposite Ax AKQx x AJxxxx, but I think that's too hard.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-May-22, 03:12

Hanoi5, on 2011-May-21, 22:27, said:

So you blame the result on not playing a convention? Nice.

I blame the big hand. 4 is a bad bid on two levels.

1) don't cue shortages in partner's suit, it's very possible partner with AQxxx will be disappointed.
2) it doesn't tell him what he needs to know, over 5 he may be laydown for 7 or struggling to make 5.

And yes if you're going to play with one hand tied behind your back by having to use 4N as blackwood, it makes bidding these slams accurately much more difficult. Having the other one tied behind your back by not playing (or not being able to use in this case, not sure of system) 1-2 inverted also doesn't help. The difficulty for us would be staying out of 7 not bidding 6, although it's not a grand I'm ashamed of.

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-May-22, 04:42

West has 2 key cards and the queen of trumps, and a fourth trump, opposite a hand that showed a game force opposite a 1-level response and then made a further slam try. The flavour of blackwood has nothing to do with missing slam, he has a slam drive.

p.s. I also don't like the 4D cue but that isn't really the problem with the hand.

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-May-22, 07:25

FrancesHinden, on 2011-May-22, 04:42, said:

West has 2 key cards and the queen of trumps, and a fourth trump, opposite a hand that showed a game force opposite a 1-level response and then made a further slam try. The flavour of blackwood has nothing to do with missing slam, he has a slam drive.

p.s. I also don't like the 4D cue but that isn't really the problem with the hand.

The slam is no gimme opposite a hand as good as AJ, AKxx, Kx, Axxxx (give N xxx and J9x and a spade lead). I think it has to be driven from the big hand.

How much easier to be able to bid

1-2-2(ask)-2N(min, 4 no 4M)-3(stop)-3(no spade stop, prob only 4)-4(RKCB)-5(2 with)-

and make your decision from there knowing partner has some 3-2 smallish cards in the majors Axxx, KQxx and won't have both of KQ, so 6 is the obvious bid in the absence of knowing about J (J10 would also improve it in the absence of J in some circumstances). As it is, I don't really care if I'm in 7 or not, trumps 2-2 is laydown, trumps 3-1 it can't be worse than the spade finesse.

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-May-22, 08:37

Deleted (can't count)
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-22, 10:29

Cyberyeti, on 2011-May-22, 07:25, said:

The slam is no gimme opposite a hand as good as AJ, AKxx, Kx, Axxxx (give N xxx and J9x and a spade lead). I think it has to be driven from the big hand.

I would want to be in slam opposite AJ, AKxx, Kx, Axxxx every day of the week and the slam would be almost lay-down if the J would be the J, which is more likely. East showed his strength, West clearly underbid. Why not 4 after 3 instead of rebidding the ?
I would almost never stop below 6 after 2 unless opener could convince me that there is no control in .

Rainer Herrmann

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2011-May-22, 10:38

It seems to be opener who should engineer to count the tricks on this hand. West doesn't need to speculate.

Whatever in the majors, and AXXX KQXX in the minors, is as close to a sure slam as there is; and way back there, 4C showed the fourth club --but not just good clubs and crap (as 5C would have shown).

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-May-22, 11:46

rhm, on 2011-May-22, 10:29, said:

I would want to be in slam opposite AJ, AKxx, Kx, Axxxx every day of the week and the slam would be almost lay-down if the J would be the J, which is more likely. East showed his strength, West clearly underbid. Why not 4 after 3 instead of rebidding the ?
I would almost never stop below 6 after 2 unless opener could convince me that there is no control in .

Rainer Herrmann

Of course you'd want to be in it opposite that, but that's a pretty good hand for the bid. Now try AJ, AQxx, KJ, Axxxx which is worse than a finesse on a spade lead, and partner doesn't have to have 19 (although I'm not totally sure how many points/how much shape he does have to have in the system being played as I'd just bid 1 over 1-1 if not allowed to raise clubs straight off).

#13 User is offline   hatchett 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-22, 12:06

West should bid 4 over 2 to show huge support and slam interest.
He knows his partner having game forced will be worried about trumps so make it easy for him.

#14 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-22, 12:46

After partner opens 1C, I can rarely be bothered to bid 1D when I have 4-card club support and no major. So 1C-2C(inverted) then East shows the biggest hand he can, probably by bidding and bidding and bidding until West gets the point (I think the hand is even too big for a 4D SPL, which would normally show 5 losers or so). Admittedly I play 4cM though, and this doesn't really apply to short clubs.

Given the actual auction, I'm down for blaming West for the 5C "giving up" rather than bidding 4NT. As others have mentioned East already GF'd then showed values in all the other suits and made a slam try of his own, all without knowing about West's KQ10x trumps and DA.

ahydra

#15 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-22, 14:12

hatchett, on 2011-May-22, 12:06, said:

West should bid 4 over 2 to show huge support and slam interest.
He knows his partner having game forced will be worried about trumps so make it easy for him.

Like Hatchett said.

#16 User is offline   hatchett 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-22, 17:07

Cyberyeti, on 2011-May-22, 11:46, said:

Now try AJ, AQxx, KJ, Axxxx which is worse than a finesse ).

This a pretty terrible GF with almost half its points in the short suits,
which would have hopefully done less bidding than in the OP.

#17 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-May-22, 18:00

I would have bid 4C over 2H with responder's hand.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#18 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-22, 20:16

Hanoi5, on 2011-May-21, 21:18, said:

3 shows support with a non-minimum hand.

Was this the problem for West? Seems like he decided that having shown 'club support in a non-minimum hand' he could now relax and forget that he wants to be in slam opposite East's jump shift.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-23, 01:19

I agree with Francis and Rainer. I think it is absurd not to bid slam by west.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-May-23, 08:01

I don't like the 4 bid because he creates problems and West won't have any use for the response from opener.

I don't like the 4 bid because for me this should be void or the Ace. 3 patterned out, so opener has 0-1. Cuebidding 4 with a small singleton is wrong imo. If East bids 4, West can bid 4 Last Train and get his hand across, but this is probably not standard, especially in such situation where East actually showed a cue by patterning out. So it's still dubious.

I think West bid 5 because he thought he didn't have the power to bid slam, he didn't have any Major suit control, and he already showed slam interest by bidding 3 and 4. However, you know KQJ are probably in opponents' hands. So slam should definitely be possible, opps won't be able to cash an AK in a Major suit.

All this considered, I blame West more than East.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users