BBO Discussion Forums: Not Stayman — alertable? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not Stayman — alertable? ACBL (this should be a simple ruling, but...)

#1 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-19, 22:51

A pair play, in ACBL-land, that 2 in response to 1NT or 3 in response to 2NT is not conventional, does not ask for any information about partner's hand, but is natural, showing a club suit (perhaps 5 or more cards, perhaps 6 or more). Does this bid require an alert? The alert procedure is unclear. The alert chart appears to say that it does, but then it also appears to say that any bid of 2 over 1NT or 3 over 2NT is Stayman, regardless what it means. :blink: :ph34r:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-20, 00:45

This should fall under the first category on the Alert Chart: "Natural Calls Not Specifically Noted". These require alerts if: "Highly unusual strength, shape, etc." This should qualify as highly unusual.

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-May-20, 07:10

So I thought, but playing in a LM/non-LM pairs last night (each LM in the field paired with a non-LM) my LM RHO didn't think so, when I suggested they ought to at least pre-alert it. I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I was curious what others thought. :huh:
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-20, 11:12

I would suggest that this is a "Treatment[] that show[s] unusual strength or shape", and I can't see how anyone would gainsay that.
*Especially* if it's non-forcing.

Frankly, even if it's even "arguably not Alertable" failure to Alert it would be gaming the rules of the highest order.

Which, strangely enough, is almost exactly what I said to one of my partners last week, when she asked if it were allowed for she and her son to not play Stayman (because he forgets).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-May-20, 21:20

In the Alert Procedures, under "Responses to One Notrump Openings", it says:

2: If it requires partner to bid a four-card major it is not Alertable; all other uses must be Alerted.

If it's natural, that falls under "all other uses", doesn't it?

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-20, 21:57

Of course, it does. And I don't understand the question being asked by the person who asked.

If the alert chart, or the alert regulations, presume 2C/1NT is Stayman; and it is not, in this pair's agreements --it must be alertable. Does it make a difference? Sure it does. Next hand can make a natural call in a major which he might not dare/stayman. Pre-alert? Probably, since it is so very unusual and the opponents might need to discuss doubles of 2C.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-May-20, 22:04

Am I not permitted to be uncertain of my reading of the rules? Particularly when at least one person expressed the opinion to me that this 2 bid does not require an alert?
--------------------

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users