BBO Discussion Forums: DNS problems - Should be resolved - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNS problems - Should be resolved

#1 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-28, 17:19

In case you see weird happenings today. Sorry for the late announcement, didn't think to post here till now.

Reported weirdness include:
-Ad errors
-Help me find a game problems
-Buying BBO$ problems
-Inability to see news
-Slow connection
-Forum access problems.

You may get a pop up survey too. Not sure how, but it's not from BBO.

We're still trying to resolve it, and it's taking forever. When this is fixed I'll post again.

update: Tue Mar 1st 8:20 AM EST
Problems still ongoing for some. Problem was "fixed" last night but the fix is taking a while to propagate thru the internet.
uday
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#2 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2011-March-01, 11:23

What to do if you had filled in that survey?

The survey was not from BBO. It appeared to have asked for a phone number and an email address.

If you either clicked it, or filled it in, don't panic. But you will want to try and clean your computer of whatever spyware or virus that was installed. (Spyware more likely than virus).

1a) If you have your own antivirus installed, do a thorough scan as soon as convenient, and clean your system.

1b) If you do not have your own antivirus installed, try this free one.
http://www.eset.com/online-scanner
This is a free online virus scanner and cleaner, click and run.

2) If you have more time, try malwarebytes. This is an anti spyware program, also free. But requires you to download, install, and run the program.
http://www.techspot....ti-malware.html

Before doing at least the virus scan, please try not to write any sensitive info, like any passwords to anywhere.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Hope this helps.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#3 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2011-March-02, 09:43

We think by now, the DNS problems should be resolved. However, there is no sure way to tell.

Keep checking BBO news (when it's not ninjaed by the fake site!) for updates, including something cool we'd like to do for BBOers to make up for the trouble.

To those who had actually given the fake survey their phone and/or email:
-Don't sign up for any offers they email you. It's unlikely to be a good offer, and it's not free.

-There may be a way to report spam texts. (Spam emails I assume everyone knows how to get rid of)
Example, for USA:
http://pogue.blogs.n...cellphone-spam/

-It won't hurt to check for viruses and spyware if you know how to. Here's an article that may help.
http://webutil.bridg...etch.php?id=549

-If you need more assistance, please contact BBO for help (support at bridgebase dot com)

John Nelson.

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-March-02, 09:52

today for the first time, when I tried to log in here I got the survey thingee.... So the fix is not yet complete.

I got here by going though google and let google drop me in the forum. My normal links and even going to bridgebase.com (which loaded normally) and using the discussion forum link sent me to the survey thingee.

On the top of the survey page it says something like this was being shown to prevent DNS error, so it is clear it is not from Bridgebase, and it doesn't mention bridgebase. Still this should be a crime and someone should investigate how to prosecute those responsible.
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2011-March-02, 11:29

Things to try if you keep seeing the survey, or if BBO does not work for you.
These things may work for you if your PC or ISP keep caching the wrong DNS address for BBO.

1) Clear your cache:
Open your browser (example: Internet explorer, Firefox, or Chrome)
There is usually a "tools" or "options" menu here somewhere.
Click it, then look at something that lets you "empty cache" or "empty history".
Do this to empty your cache.

2) Reboot your computer:
Just reboot it.

3) Flush your DNS
Click on:
Start
All programs
Accessories
Command Prompt

Then type in:
ipconfig /flushdns

This post has been edited by Rain: 2011-March-04, 09:26
Reason for edit: more info

John Nelson.

#6 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2011-March-04, 12:37

Read Uday's post for details about what happened, what we tried to do to attempt to solve it, and why sporadic reports are still floating it. (ie not 100% solved yet, despite our best efforts).

http://www.bridgebas...7-bogus-survey/

John Nelson.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users