• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SLOW Play USA Trials A proposed fix

#141 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-25, 02:00

Often declarer will pull cards from dummy but one of the defenders will quit them.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#142 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-25, 02:02

View Postchudecek, on 2011-May-23, 11:21, said:

You don't talk with friends and go to dinner between sessions? My, has tournament bridge changed since I was more active in it. We couldn't get enough of hashing / rehashing boards.

I would much rather spend an extra minute or two at the table finding the right play than have my teammates and friends point out my mistakes to me for three hours over way too much alcohol.

#143 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-25, 02:32

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-May-23, 18:47, said:

There was a time when, if my bladder indicated it wanted emptying, I could tell it to shut up, and I'd get to it later. That time is long gone.

It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself.

I am sure Alfredo Versace would prefer to sit and piss himself, had he known going to restroom will cost them the Bermuda Bowl. :D
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#144 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-25, 02:37

View PostFree, on 2011-May-25, 02:00, said:

But to claim that your way is the "normal" way is a bridge too far imo, where do you get this idea?

Do you really think that most bridge players play duplicate? There are far more players playing in rubber bridge clubs, golf clubs, around their kitchen tables, etc., than there are at duplicate clubs. These people play their own dummy.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#145 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-May-25, 02:42

View PostVampyr, on 2011-May-25, 02:37, said:

Do you really think that most bridge players play duplicate?

Where did I say that? :blink: Isn't rubber bridge played without screens?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#146 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-May-25, 15:52

View PostFree, on 2011-May-25, 02:42, said:

Where did I say that? :blink: Isn't rubber bridge played without screens?

With screens I think dummy should stay put, unless it's really necessary and there is someone else there who can play the dummy's cards. I have never left the table while dummy when screens are in use, nor witnessed my partner or opponents doing so.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#147 User is offline   bill1157 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-May-26, 02:01

A couple of ways to speed up the game:

1. everyone must go to the bathroom before play begins (whether they need to or not).
2. change the rules so overtricks don't count unless the contract is doubled.

Bill

#148 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-26, 02:29

View PostVampyr, on 2011-May-25, 02:37, said:

There are far more players playing in rubber bridge clubs, golf clubs, around their kitchen tables, etc., than there are at duplicate clubs.

Is this really still true? Does anyone have any evidence either way?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#149 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-May-26, 08:41

View Postgordontd, on 2011-May-26, 02:29, said:

Is this really still true? Does anyone have any evidence either way?

Well, the London Trophy numbers have gone way down, but there were still 25 teams this year, of which no more than 4 are bridge clubs (in a couple of cases it was difficult to tell.) So there are 21 social/sport/etc clubs in the London Trophy, who probably play at least once a week, and many many more clubs that are not in the London Trophy. With the addition of two main rubber bridge clubs and some number of others (I only know of two, but I bet there are loads), there are easily more players and most likely, more sessions, than at the dozen or so duplicate clubs in London. Keep in mind that some of these clubs get only 3 or 4 tables in once-a-week sessions.

Also, I know a lot of duplicate players, but I have met them all through bridge. I have at least six friends and acquaintances in London who play "kitchen table" bridge on a fairly regular basis.

Now, I don't have any figures, and I realise that my estimate might be wrong. (My statement was in support of my claim that it is "normal" and "traditional" for declarer to play dummy's cards, instead of asking the defenders to do it) when there is no dummy available. This, anyway, is not wrong).

#150 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-26, 11:20

You forgot "No use of restricted choice" because it isn't real.

View Postmatmat, on 2011-May-17, 16:15, said:

I think Carl is onto something, but his proposed changes simply do not go far enough. I would propose the following changes:

1) I would recommend that all participants in an event be given the same final score in order to avoid feelings of shame, inferiority and inadequacy.

2) I would mandate that all participants wear the same shade of clothing, that way nobody will stand out or offend anyone's sensibilities

3) All two way finesses must be taken into one's RHO,

4) All 9 card fits with the AK must play for the drop,

5) No falsecarding, no signalling. You must always follow suit with the lowest spot card available if you cannot win the trick.

6) No smoke breaks. No hospitality breaks. You must sit through the entire session.

I'll try to define some more rule changes later.

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users