BBO Discussion Forums: Greatest baseball team of all time? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Greatest baseball team of all time?

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-09, 11:00

What team do you pick as the greatest baseball team of all time?

Bill James picked the 98 Yankees followed by the 37, then 39 and 38 Yankees.

Key players were:
98 Yankees

Jeter, Mariano, Posada, Pettitte

New York
Yankees
AL

Gehrig, DiMaggio, Ruffing, Dickey

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-May-09, 12:53

I thought that there was a general consensus that the 1927 Yankees was the greatest team of all time.

#3 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-09, 14:30

1906 Cubs

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-09, 14:37

I had to suffer through the astros-braves series as they put up smoltz/glavine/maddux (often with a good 4th pitcher too). That has to be the best pitching team ever.

#5 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-May-09, 14:38

Rather suprisingly he did not list the 27 yankees or 06 cubs in his top 25.

However the 07 and 08 Cubs made the list.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-May-09, 14:47

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-May-09, 14:37, said:

I had to suffer through the astros-braves series as they put up smoltz/glavine/maddux (often with a good 4th pitcher too). That has to be the best pitching team ever.

In fact he had the 95 Atlanta team fifth and 97 team is seventh.

#7 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2011-May-09, 15:05

Seems to me this would not be a modern team.

The modern game has too many good players. There are also too many short playoff series, which are something of a crapshoot. The point is, I don't think any team in the modern era has dominated as thoroughly as teams did "back in the day."

If you list the great players from the 1998 Yankees, you can see that most of them were still on the team for the next few years (heck the four players Mike named were still on the team last year, more than a decade later). You have to ask, if the '98 team was so good, why was the '99 team (which had almost all the same players back and even won the world series) not even close to the best ever?

In contrast, the 1937-1939 Yankees all made the list. I think that indicates that those teams were better relative to the league (and more of a "dynasty").

There is a natural tendency to prefer modern teams and players in this sort of thing. If we think that it's a "close race" between the modern team and the old time team, probably the old time team was actually better.

Of course, all of this is relative to the competition... I do not think there is much doubt that athletes are better conditioned today, strategy is better today, and that if we could somehow take a modern team back in time to play a series with a team from years ago, the modern team would demolish their opponents.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#8 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-May-09, 15:36

View Postawm, on 2011-May-09, 15:05, said:

The modern game has too many good players. There are also too many short playoff series, which are something of a crapshoot. The point is, I don't think any team in the modern era has dominated as thoroughly as teams did "back in the day."

If you list the great players from the 1998 Yankees, you can see that most of them were still on the team for the next few years (heck the four players Mike named were still on the team last year, more than a decade later). You have to ask, if the '98 team was so good, why was the '99 team (which had almost all the same players back and even won the world series) not even close to the best ever?

In contrast, the 1937-1939 Yankees all made the list. I think that indicates that those teams were better relative to the league (and more of a "dynasty").

There is a natural tendency to prefer modern teams and players in this sort of thing. If we think that it's a "close race" between the modern team and the old time team, probably the old time team was actually better.

Of course, all of this is relative to the competition... I do not think there is much doubt that athletes are better conditioned today, strategy is better today, and that if we could somehow take a modern team back in time to play a series with a team from years ago, the modern team would demolish their opponents.

Indeed his last factor and perhaps the most controversial one is a timeline adjustment. Bill thinks the modern ball player and teams are in general much much better than the "older" ones.

"The eighth consideration that is necessary is a time-line adjustment. A time-line adjustment is necessary because

a) The quality of play has improved over time,

b) Weak competition is easier to dominate than strong competition, therefore,

c) Without a time-line adjustment, we will tend to show the best teams in baseball history as concentrated in the first half of baseball history, when the reality is that the best teams are probably more concentrated in the second half of baseball history than the first."
-------

After 7 out of 8 factors:

"To this point in our analysis, 68 of the top 100 teams in history, and 9 of the top 10, played before 1960--that is, in the first half of baseball history. 51 of the top 100 played before 1940. All of the top teams in baseball history played a long time ago.

I don’t believe that that is true—nor, I think, does anyone else, now that Dutch Schultz has gone to his reward. (Dutch was a very active member of SABR back in the old days, when SABR was a collection of cranks and hobbyists, rather than a collection of academics and quasi-academics. Dutch was a very sweet man and I was quite fond of him, but Dutch resented the hyping of Joe DiMaggio when Joe came to the majors in 1936, and never accepted that DiMaggio was a better ballplayer than his hero, Al Simmons. He sincerely believed that baseball had reached its apogee about 1934, and had been in decline ever since. There would never be another Al Simmons in his eyes.)"

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2011-May-09, 16:43

I find it amazing that this kind of discussion constantly comes up in US sports. I have never seen a single such discussion in German sports - they don't have the similar "All-time top 10 players" either.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#10 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-May-09, 18:38

View Postcherdano, on 2011-May-09, 16:43, said:

I find it amazing that this kind of discussion constantly comes up in US sports. I have never seen a single such discussion in German sports - they don't have the similar "All-time top 10 players" either.

We do have a lot of top ten lists in almost all areas of life. Top ten places to eat, top ten presidents, top ten all-time movies, songs, books, tv shows, bridge players, etc......

#11 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-10, 10:34

2004 red sox and it's not even close at all.
OK
bed

#12 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2011-May-10, 21:53

The 2004 Red Sox had the most formidable offensive lineup I've ever seen in person. Curt Shilling pitched well that year but I didn't think the rest of the bullpen was that great. Pretty decent in the clutch pinch running department and in the back office.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#13 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-May-10, 22:55

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-May-09, 14:37, said:

The Atlanta Braves from 1991-2005 won consecutive division titles. And it was definitely their star pitchers who made that happen, although the two Jones's played important roles as well.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2011-May-11, 11:26

View PostPassedOut, on 2011-May-10, 22:55, said:

The Atlanta Braves from 1991-2005 won consecutive division titles. And it was definitely their star pitchers who made that happen, although the two Jones's played important roles as well.

Thanks for rubbin that in bro!

#15 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-12, 02:33

View Postcherdano, on 2011-May-09, 16:43, said:

US sports fans also detest ties. I don't think the two are unrelated.

#16 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-May-15, 15:57

View Postawm, on 2011-May-09, 15:05, said:

It depends on if you think the greatest team is the team that was the furthest ahead of its peers, or the team that would win if you could some how magically summon them to play a game in some neutral-platonic-ideal game.

If the former, it is going to extremely likely be an early team. If the latter, it is going to be extremely likely to be a recent team. Progress and all that.

The same applies to Bridge teams as well.

#17 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-May-15, 18:36

How can any credible list exclude the Bad News Bears?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#18 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2011-June-05, 10:00

IIRC, James has said that if Tom Seaver had come to the Reds earlier, it would have been one of the mid-70's (75 or 76) Cincy teams.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users