• You cannot reply to this topic

New Bidding Contest Help us acheive a really large consensus

#1 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-September-13, 13:55

Hi folks:

As publisher of the Matchpointer, the quarterly ACBL Unit 430 Bridge Magazine, I run a bidding poll each issue. Instead of having some subjective person score the answers giving his own favourites the highest scores, I score by weighted consensus, with entrants self-flighting themselves and experts votes receiving more vote points than beginners. In the most recent issue our consensus was smaller and I have decided to open it up to anyone.

The bidding system is a simple, standard system, not quite 2/1, with a smattering of modern frills. The online form for entry is at this link:

'It's Your Bid' Link

There's a place to enter your comments on the questions and even a spot to enter questions for future polls. Let me know if there is a problem and I'll try to fix it.

We give out a few prizes as free plays to the highest local score, but I will print the names of the online entrants who score the highest as well. Want to see the full magazine (including the most recent results of It's Your Bid)? This link leads to the online version of the Matchpointer but it is a large pdf file and may take some time to download.

Good luck!
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#2 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-September-13, 19:03

Hey nice contest, i took my vote.
I have to say hand 3 previous bids are wrong.

#3 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-13, 21:06

Thanks to all who have responded (and those who will in the next few weeks). The addition of 'out-of-town votes' will make for a better consensus in the same way that you get better field protection in a large game than in a 3-table Howell... :)

When I put together the next issue of the magazine I will send the It's Your Bid report to all those responders who have entered an e-mail address.
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.

#4 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Challenge square dancing (besides the obvious)

Posted 2004-September-16, 13:09

Those entering should take note that the level assignment seems to be different for this contest than for BBO. In BBO I'm not even close to being an expert since I don't even play national events and would probably disgrace myself if I did. On the other hand, for the purposes of this contest, it appears that you are supposed to call yourself an expert if the ACBL (American Contract Bridge League) forces you to play in Flight A events; a much lower standard.

If you're not in North America, my guess for rating (for the contest) would be:

Pick Flight A if you would consistently score about 57% in a tournament held at a nearby large city that did not allow novice players. Pick Flight B if you would score about 50% in such an event. Otherwise pick Flight C.
I tend to lead fourth best - as opposed to the best suit, the second best suit, or the third best suit for our side

#5 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-17, 17:48

I'm certainly not getting many Flight C responses that are not locals. Everyone is welcome. If you enter as a Flight C player you are elgibile to win all three flights, but your vote counts less towards the consensus.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users