• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

reverse relays spin-off from another topic

#41 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-May-12, 07:02

View PostCrunch3nt, on 2011-May-12, 05:56, said:

According to Roy Hughes analysis, having the known hand as dummy rather than declarer is worth on average 1/3rd of a trick per hand. That is a serious negative to overcome, and why 1) is the most important.

At this stage, I am still playing a 1D response to 1C as 8+ Balanced GF, not any GF. 1H is the negative (0-4 unbalanced with a major, 0-7 balanced or unbalanced no major) and the rest are unbalanced semi-positive or stronger with a major or GF unbalanced no major as we discussed when you were in NZ. I still think it is more important to show shape immediately and sort your range out later.

After the auction 1C-1D; 1H, responder goes into exact shape and opener always relays. Relay breaks by opener are undefined at this stage - something to think about!

The reverse relay structure is new and unique. It is not symmetric and is a pain to remember. I can email if you wish.

I'm picturing a structure that is better than yours or ours as they stand now. I think you definitely have an opportunity for a relay break after 1C-1D, 1H-1S to spin off those shapely hands. The problem is that you always always want to be able to do that and now you can only do it a large fraction of the time ....plus it would be a pain to remember how to reverse relay after 1C-1D, 1H-1S as well as 1C-1D, 1H-1N+.

We do pretty well at rightsiding and without knowing your structure I don't know which does better.

Ideally we could improve if we include all the 6322s and 5422s with the balanced shapes because they ought to be captain when partner has shortness. OTOH, I probably wouldn't take the trouble except as a theoretical exercise.

Yeah, email your structure if you don't mind. Ours is just SCREAM on Mark's website.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users