Trick Two K 8 T 4

Trick Three 5 9 Q 8

Trick Four K

Your play?

If you choose to win the A partner plays 5 UDCA

What do you play to the next trick?

Do you consider any other plays?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-04, 00:52

Your play? Agree with A.

What do you play to the next trick? 3. South looks like a 8221 but has no entry to dummy to pitch a losing on the Q, so exiting 3 looks pretty safe to beat the contract unless declarer is 9121 which seems a bit far fetched. I just want to maximise my chances of going positive on these sorts of hands.

Do you consider any other plays? K was considered as that's obviously the best option for us if partner has the A and might even get the contract for 800 if partner has a natural trump trick. Depending on the mode of scoring, state of the match/session, knowledge of south's preempting style, relative humidity, the moon phase and what I've had for breakfast; I could convince myself to play the K on some days.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#3 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-April-04, 08:46

I agree with this post. As to considering other plays, I suppose ducking the club is right if declarer has 8=1=2=2 and partner has Kx. I suppose cashing the K is necessary if declarer is 9=1=2=1. But overall mrdct seems to me to be playing the odds.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-April-04, 13:56

Indeed that defense works. The hand is posted in another thread - Optional Double

I thought this position was more interesting.

If declarer is solid in spades then you need to defend that way whereas as David said if declarer needs a spade finesse then you need to duck.

The real point of the post was to try and get some feel for how likely you are to get a misdefense. On the actual hand this was ducking the K or winning and then playing another club or a heart - a spade or a diamond would defeat the contract.

I thought maybe around 50%. With quite a wide margin for error. Obviously it would depend on the strength of the defender. A bad player perhaps would never duck but may play the wrong card next. A good player maybe more likely to duck but less likely to go wrong if the ace is taken.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#5 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 06:51

I do not think ducking nor switching to the wrong thing would be SEWoG, if that is the point of the post.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 07:24

View PostCascade, on 2011-April-03, 14:12, said:

Do you consider any other plays?

Now that we've got to this point, I'd like to reconsider my play at trick three (but I'm not suggesting it was a SEWoG).
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-April-05, 13:26

View Postbluejak, on 2011-April-05, 06:51, said:

I do not think ducking nor switching to the wrong thing would be SEWoG, if that is the point of the post.

It is not.

The points is to estimate the likelihood of making 4 Dbl if the result is adjusted to that contract after partner pulled a slow double to 5.

At the table 5 was down one and double dummy 4 is down one so double dummy there is no damage. However I don't think the defense to 4 is trivial so that contract could easily make. We need to assess likely plays in 4.
Wayne Burrows

#8 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 13:36

I'd play the A; declarer could easily have singleton king. In fact from partner's low club it seems likely declarer did have singleton king.

At this point I would play a spade. It is possible that a heart could be better if declarer has Txx or if declarer has eight spades missing the king and cannot find an entry to finesse. However, it seems hard to be certain partner has the heart ace, and a heart switch if declarer has the ace could obviously be disastrous.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#9 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 14:23

View PostCascade, on 2011-April-04, 13:56, said:

Indeed that defense works. The hand is posted in another thread - Optional Double

With the club suit having presumably undergone some genetic modification.
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#10 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2011-April-05, 14:47

View Postdburn, on 2011-April-05, 14:23, said:

With the club suit having presumably undergone some genetic modification.

Thats over the top of my head.

Is there some mistake in my hand diagram?
Wayne Burrows

#11 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 16:43

View PostCascade, on 2011-April-05, 13:26, said:

The points is to estimate the likelihood of making 4 Dbl if the result is adjusted to that contract after partner pulled a slow double to 5.

At the table 5 was down one and double dummy 4 is down one so double dummy there is no damage. However I don't think the defense to 4 is trivial so that contract could easily make. We need to assess likely plays in 4.

Oh, I see. Well the defence will prevail a fair amount of the time so how about 60% making, 40% down one?
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users