BBO Discussion Forums: bid with void in partner's suit with game values - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bid with void in partner's suit with game values

#1 User is offline   guelphdad 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-April-01, 14:15

As south and opener I held
KQxxx
AJxx
Axxx

partner had:
AKQxxx
xx
KQx
xx

Bid uninterrupted was
1-1-2-2 passed out.

I am getting back into bridge again as beginner/intermediate player.
I didn't know what my second bid there, chose clubs to bid the two four suiters up the line.
Kib/Advanced told my partner they should have responded 3 (instead of 2, to show better spade values) and then I could have either went with 3NT which partner could have passed or 4 knowing their spade strength.

What advice for a bid situation like this? I saw a similar one today that got passed out at 3 but there the person missing club stopper.

That got me thinking of how to respond when partner is bidding where you are void and how high to go.

All responses welcome.
Dave

#2 User is offline   Trumpace 

• Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-01, 14:43

Hi.
Welcome to the forums!

Assuming you are playing some form of standard american (2/1, sayc etc), your partner has no business bidding just 2S, which is non forcing. I think pass is fine, once you hear a 2S bid.

In some versions of standard american even 3S by partner is non forcing, and I don't think partner should bid that.

If you play fourth suit as game forcing, partner could have bid that. If you play fourth suit as invitational+, then 3S would be game forcing, I believe and that would show the hand partner held.

As to the question of your second bid, I guess some folks might bid 2D instead of 2C, intending to rebid 3C if given a chance.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-02, 06:29

Hi
I would rebid 2C, mainly because it preserves a lot of space if partner is considering having to bid 4th suit.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-02, 08:20

Your bidding was fine - 2S was a massive underbid though, normally showing something like 6-9 points. 3S is generally forcing to game and shows at least 6 spades, so that's ideal for this hand - you would reply 3NT, which would probably make (diamonds need to be 4-3 or not led).

ahydra

#5 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-April-02, 22:37

Some people play 3 as forcing to game, and some people play it as invitational (needing to bid 4th suit to force to game). That is something to discuss with your partner.

Whichever you agree on though, repeating your suit at the minimum level, whatever the circumstances, is almost always a weak, terminal bid.

2 is better than 2 because partner may wish to bid 4th suit forcing to force.
I Transfers

#6 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2011-April-02, 22:38

oops posted twice accidentally, can't figure out how to delete a post :-)
I Transfers

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 08:16

great bidding, passing 2 shows that you have discipline and judgement. Your partner on the other hand fails to understand the difference between forcing and non forcing bids. Wich is a very big problem.

Don't mind much about bidding 2 or 2 it very seldom makes a difference and both are correct, compared with the gross mistake of bidding 2 it is completelly irrelevat.

#8 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 09:52

Fluffy, on 2011-April-07, 08:16, said:

great bidding, passing 2 shows that you have discipline and judgement. Your partner on the other hand fails to understand the difference between forcing and non forcing bids. Wich is a very big problem.

Don't mind much about bidding 2 or 2 it very seldom makes a difference and both are correct, compared with the gross mistake of bidding 2 it is completelly irrelevat.

What Fluffy said.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 18:18

Your bidding is fine, wonder if your partner habitually plays weak jump shifts, hence thought he was showing a reasonable hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users