BBO Discussion Forums: Third hand signal and follow up against NT... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Third hand signal and follow up against NT...

#1 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-15, 10:35

E opens....(1C)..(3N) (presumably balanced 13-15ish and denying a 4 card major)

Trick 1: Pard leads a "low from interest" 4 spot card (declarer has < 4 spades if it matters). Declarer puts up K at T1 and plays the 3 from hand.

Trick 2: Declarer now plays J off the board and ducks into pard's Q.

Pard holdsA and needs to know whether declarer has a doubleton or JXX or QXX (assuming the QC duck was avoidance play).

1) Is the standard treatment at T1 to give present count in this situation?
2) If playing (reverse) Smith echo, should the spot cards played by South at T2 be a signal for Q? In this case assume that you are playing reverse Smith and the C2 is an unambiguous spade encouragement signal.

[Edit]
BTW, the above hand is intended to be an illustration of the problems and not a question regarding a specific hand. It would be interesting to hear about your defensive agreements.
foobar on BBO

#2 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-15, 11:48

The way the hands are presented looks funny. South sits behind East.

#3 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-15, 12:40

edit: nm

#4 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-March-15, 14:07

My agreements are that if dummy has Ax(x) or Kx(x) and plays that card at trick 1, then
- third hand's immediate signal to this trick is attitude (showing the K or Q if the ace was played; the queen if the king was played)
- we then do an encouraging smith with 'extra length' in the suit. Extra length depends on the auction: here we assume declarer has 2 or 3 cards in the suit and I would smith with 4. If you play 4th highest, rather than attitude, leads your definition of extra length may depend on what you can tell about the count at trick 1.

It's possible to play these signals the other way round: count at trick 1, smith to show honour attitude. The reason for honour attitude first for me is that this is usually more important, and you may not get a chance to smith before partner has to decide what to do next. Your sample hand is an example of that: if your clubs were, say, 65 doubleton then the 5 might be from singleton 5, 56, or 53.

If dummy has Qxx, Jxx or AQx and declarer plays the Q or J from dummy we give count at trick 1, then smith gives attitude on the next highest honour.

#5 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-15, 17:58

For those playing UDCA, is this Spade holding: J92 an unblocking exception?

#6 User is offline   andy_h 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2011-March-15, 18:29

If declarer had Jxx why did he play the King on the first round?
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.

#7 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-15, 18:52

My agreements are: if you don't beat dummy card give count and then smith for possible honour.
I have never analysed it too deeply but it seems to me that most of the time position of honours is more clear from play to first trick and count is more important.
Here declarer played K from Kx so partner knows that declarer doesn't have AJx or Jxx or QTx and probably not ATx.

#8 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2011-March-15, 19:15

I give attitude T1 if I can't beat an ace or king, and I would assume it is standard to do so. I think there's some question what signal to give if dummy puts up a queen and it holds.

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-March-15, 19:29

View Postbluecalm, on 2011-March-15, 18:52, said:

My agreements are: if you don't beat dummy card give count and then smith for possible honour.
I have never analysed it too deeply but it seems to me that most of the time position of honours is more clear from play to first trick and count is more important.
Here declarer played K from Kx so partner knows that declarer doesn't have AJx or Jxx or QTx and probably not ATx.

This makes a lot of sense.

I wonder, then... Another option might be attitude at trick one, and then "Count Smith." In other words, if the first signal is standard attitude in a situation, then perhaps the card played as what would normally be a Smith Echo could actually be count for the suit you have already stated attitude about.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-15, 22:42

View Postbluecalm, on 2011-March-15, 18:52, said:

Ditto, when playing some form of smith. And when not playing smith I still give count on T1 in this situation. I'm not saying it is right, but our rule in NT is if you can't beat dummy give count.

And even if playing smith it isn't clear to me if the example hand is sage to smith, partner might want count if deciding to hold up the A to make transportation more difficult.

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2011-March-16, 14:03

View Postandy_h, on 2011-March-15, 18:29, said:

If declarer had Jxx why did he play the King on the first round?

At the point when you signal on the first trick you don't know that partner has the ace. Your partner might be looking at the ace and he'll know that declarer has the queen.

#12 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder

Posted 2011-March-16, 14:05

View Postkenrexford, on 2011-March-15, 19:29, said:

I wonder, then... Another option might be attitude at trick one, and then "Count Smith." In other words, if the first signal is standard attitude in a situation, then perhaps the card played as what would normally be a Smith Echo could actually be count for the suit you have already stated attitude about.

Unfortunately the difference between 2 and 4, or 3 and 5 cards actually matters and partner might well not be able to read it. I'd rather stick to saying if I've got "lots of extra length" or not.

#13 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder

Posted 2011-March-16, 14:05

p.s. one thing which it is possible to prove, is that you cannot get every possible situation right. Sometimes a guess is unavoidable.

#14 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-16, 17:36

I like Ken's idea...
If dummy wins the 1st trick, 3rd hand shows ATTITUDE.

Then 3rd hand uses Smith to show COUNT.

Partner ( opening leader ) will still use Smith to indicate "likes or dislikes" his opening suit.

( Admittedly though, I have not thought about it much ) .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#15 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-17, 03:50

Looks to be another "have an agreement is wa-a-ay better than no agreement". SO WHAT.!
While no intent to show "what agreement is best" in an ADVANCED & EXPERT blog.
This is the "buffet" style of bridge - pick what you like.
I detest no activity to answer "WHAT IS BEST".!
EG. Are sims sufficient to compare 4th best leads to attitude leads vs. 1N:15-17?
Is Flannery > weak 2D? > 3-suiter(Roman)? > natural 5+suit 13-17?
Does 1N:15-17 beat 12-14? 10-12? 13-15? 14-16?
I absoltively guarantee 1C forcing beats "prepared 1C".
Guarantee xfers in competition win.
Guarantee some generally forcing response freeing many others for "picture" bids wins.
I can produce those sims.

#16 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-17, 08:27

We give attitude here at trick 1. I cannot guarantee that it is best.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#17 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-17, 09:18

then perhaps the card played as what would normally be a Smith Echo could actually be count for the suit you have already stated attitude about.

Martens discusses this idea in his "watch dog" books.
I hope one day to play with someone willing to go that far in defensive carding agreements.

I feel that solution given by FrancesHinden is probably better than mine if a lot of situations are discussed. I am more comfortable with simple solutions though as risk of misunderstanding is minimized then and loses not that big (I think). Again I hope one day I will be happy to play such agreements and be comfortable with them (ie. positive about risk of misunderstanding being close to 0).

#18 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-17, 09:50

Give count only when we are unable to beat dummy's Queen or lower. So over the King attitude is the default signal.

Seems this treatment is kind of standard from what I am reading.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-18, 00:11

Yes u can use this, i also like the idea of Francis.

Smith... Don't get me wrong, smith is a good tool to have, but i think it is being over used. And good opponents can easily manipulate defense if they know what info your smith signal sends to partner. There are several ways to do it depending on situation, but i don't wanna hijack the topic.

Here is one i like from another site http://www.bridgewin...ing-the-defense
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-18, 01:46

View Postdake50, on 2011-March-17, 03:50, said:

Is Flannery >

Having an agreement not to open 2, ever? Maybe.

View Postbluecalm, on 2011-March-17, 09:18, said:

I feel that solution given by FrancesHinden is probably better than mine if a lot of situations are discussed.

Yes, I play as you do but am always keen to have another look if Frances plays something different.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users