• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

12 table movement

#61 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-April-07, 09:11

Oh, I agree. Six bucks a set seems much more like a reasonable price. But as I said, there is that fear.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#62 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 09:14

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-April-07, 09:11, said:

Oh, I agree. Six bucks a set seems much more like a reasonable price. But as I said, there is that fear.

Or indeed eight bucks. (I don't think your "bucks" are exactly equivalent to NickRW's "pounds sterling" :) )

#63 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 09:19

No, they aren't. :D
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#64 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 09:29

Eh. I think we're agreed that four of these "$" is low and nine of these "£" is a bit much and somewhere in the middle is about right. ;)
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#65 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-April-07, 11:46

The club with a dealing machine around here (Seattle area) charges $15/set to make boards. A couple of the other clubs pay it as it's becoming very hard to get people to play without premade boards and hand records. Some of the other clubs have a person hand deal the boards before the session.

#66 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 12:11

View Postjeffford76, on 2011-April-07, 11:46, said:

The club with a dealing machine around here (Seattle area) charges $15/set to make boards. A couple of the other clubs pay it as it's becoming very hard to get people to play without premade boards and hand records.

Blackshoe, this latter might be the case where you live -- if the dealing machine owners decided to charge more, the clubs might be forced to pay it in order to compete.

Some of the other clubs have a person hand deal the boards before the session.

This does not seem to me to be much of an economy measure. It probably takes only about a minute to deal a hand from a hand record, but two or three to get all the cards in order first. Then there is taking the cards out and putting them back in the boards, taking the boards in and out of the box, maybe checking the hands or at least doing some spot-checks... Even at minimum wage this sounds expensive.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#67 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 17:49

Our club charges £10 a set, and I don't think that's unreasonable: the machine cost us a couple of thousand pounds, servicing it costs about £200 a year, we pay someone to operate it, we need to replace cards, we duplicate hand records, and we're helping our competitors provide a better service.

When I used to deal boards for a club by hand, it took me about 1 hour a set (without duplicating or paying for the hand records to be produced). Any less than £10 a set and it wouldn't really be worth our while.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#68 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 18:00

View PostVampyr, on 2011-April-07, 12:11, said:

Some of the other clubs have a person hand deal the boards before the session.

This does not seem to me to be much of an economy measure. It probably takes only about a minute to deal a hand from a hand record, but two or three to get all the cards in order first. Then there is taking the cards out and putting them back in the boards, taking the boards in and out of the box, maybe checking the hands or at least doing some spot-checks... Even at minimum wage this sounds expensive.

15 boards/hour was the very best we could achieve when we hand dealt boards from (computer generated) hand records. This included cards from the board, presorting, dealing and cards back to the board.

I don't know how many boards make up a "set"; in Norway $15 (or about £9) at the current exchange rate (plus freight when apliccable) would typically pay the rent of between 40 and 55 pre-dealt boards (for instance 2 copies each of about 25 boards)

#69 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 18:01

View Postgordontd, on 2011-April-07, 17:49, said:

Our club charges £10 a set, and I don't think that's unreasonable:

You certainly wouldn't get the committee of my club to bite on that! 3 sessions a week = over 1500 quid for the year. After two years we'd have bought a machine for you! Not to mention the time and cost of transporting the darned things. We MUCH prefered to have our own machine.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#70 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 18:32

View Postpran, on 2011-April-07, 18:00, said:

15 boards/hour was the very best we could achieve when we hand dealt boards from (computer generated) hand records. This included cards from the board, presorting, dealing and cards back to the board.

If you are duping by hand you might want to deal straight from an unsorted deck. When I was duping it took about 100 sec per board.

#71 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 18:48

View PostNickRW, on 2011-April-07, 18:01, said:

You certainly wouldn't get the committee of my club to bite on that! 3 sessions a week = over 1500 quid for the year. After two years we'd have bought a machine for you! Not to mention the time and cost of transporting the darned things. We MUCH prefered to have our own machine.

Nick

Well of course! No club that plays three times a week would pay someone else to do it. But it's not as though we're actively soliciting dealing for other clubs - they ask us, and that's the rate that just about makes it worth our while.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#72 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-07, 21:31

View Postaxman, on 2011-April-07, 18:32, said:

If you are duping by hand you might want to deal straight from an unsorted deck. When I was duping it took about 100 sec per board.

I would have thought that face-up dealing would be a lot slower than face-down. It seems very difficult.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#73 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-08, 01:23

View PostVampyr, on 2011-April-07, 21:31, said:

I would have thought that face-up dealing would be a lot slower than face-down. It seems very difficult.

When I was dealing for the university club here I asked the players to sort the cards at the end of each session - which takes hardly any time for the players as it's ~1 board each, but meant I could deal 24 boards in about half an hour. I also have a mechanism for dealing which does not leak any knowledge of the hands to me, as I was also playing them.

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users