• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sike? ACBL

#1 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-March-04, 15:40

Five card majors framework and weak 2's.

A player opens 2 with AKQJxx Tx Tx Axx.

Partner bids 3 (showing 10-12) with xxx K9xx AKQ9 KQ claiming "I don't know how to show such a strong hand opposite 2". They subside in 6.

Psyche?
Adjustment?
PP?
Slap on the wrist?
Recorder?

Oh what shall I do...
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#2 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-04, 16:35

View PostPhil, on 2011-March-04, 15:40, said:

Five card majors framework and weak 2's.

A player opens 2 with AKQJxx Tx Tx Axx.

Partner bids 3 (showing 10-12) with xxx K9xx AKQ9 KQ claiming "I don't know how to show such a strong hand opposite 2". They subside in 6.

Psyche?
Adjustment?
PP?
Slap on the wrist?
Recorder?

Oh what shall I do...

The first thing to so is to find out the rest of the auction. Did someone use Blackwood and find out that the partnership was missing an ace/key card?

The second thing to do is Opener why he opened 2 and to ask Reponder what he would have opened on Opener's hand.

#3 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-March-04, 16:48

View Postjallerton, on 2011-March-04, 16:35, said:

The first thing to so is to find out the rest of the auction. Did someone use Blackwood and find out that the partnership was missing an ace/key card?

The second thing to do is Opener why he opened 2 and to ask Reponder what he would have opened on Opener's hand.

You must be channeling her opponent that said the same thing.

2 - 3
3 - 4*
4** - 5***
5**** - 6
Pass

* / *** - Gerber obv
** - 2 aces
**** - 1 king

So staying out of 7 is pretty easy.
Hi y'all!

#4 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-04, 17:43

Is Gerber being used as a pyschic control?

If AKQJxxxxx x x Ax is a permitted as a 2 opener then perhaps not.

#5 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-March-04, 18:35

I bet they are pretty poor players. Tell their opponents to get a life.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-04, 19:04

View Postbluejak, on 2011-March-04, 18:35, said:

I bet they are pretty poor players.

That would make this a teachable moment. Explain to opener that his bid was not correct, and explain to responder that he needs to know how his partnership shows more than 12 opposite a 2 opening.

#7 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2011-March-04, 21:31

Its a club game. Nearly everyone is a poor player.

I don't see 'get a life' in the rules anywhere.

I wouldn't have posted this if I thought I would get flippant remarks.
Hi y'all!

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-March-04, 22:03

Good post. If anyone wanted an adjustment on this hand, then I would laugh at them.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-March-04, 22:13

ACBL's position is that "strong" is whatever the player thinks it is -- we don't have anything like the Rule of 25 as a guideline for strong 2 openings. Which takes away most of the teeth of their long-standing prohibition against psyching strong 2.

But this is certainly the most extreme example I've seen. Many players include something like "8.5 tricks" in their description of 2, so they'll bid it with AKQJxxx AQx x xx. I think you need to ask your opener what criteria he used to decide that his hand was worth opening 2.

#10 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-March-05, 01:35

From the sounds of it, this was poor bidding rather than a psyche and suggesting they may have used a psychic control is stretching it even further.

Your job is to enforce the laws, not offer bidding advice so please DO NOT turn this into an opportunity to "teach bidding".

Tell their opponents there has been no infraction of the laws and move on, these weird things happen all the time.
Next board they could easily have another strange auction and give their opps a top, you won't get another call.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-March-05, 02:13

I agree that this is a misbid rather than a psych, but that's only because a psych is deliberate, and it appears this player wasn't aware what he was doing. So while I would not rule that an infraction of law (via regulation in this case) has occurred, but I would endeavor to ensure that this player doesn't make this great a deviation when he bids 2 in future, the ACBL "definition" of "strong" notwithstanding*. I don't consider that "teaching bidding", but rather teaching how not to run afoul of the regulation against psyching a 2 opening.

*I once held, at teams, AKQJxxxx Jxx - Jx. My opponent at the other table opened this 2, and our teammates miss-defended because they expect more high card strength. The director ruled "not a psych, but it's close". I submit that if 8 playing tricks is "close", then 7 playing tricks is a psych, if it were done deliberately.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-March-05, 06:56

View PostPhil, on 2011-March-04, 21:31, said:

Its a club game. Nearly everyone is a poor player.

I don't see 'get a life' in the rules anywhere.

I wouldn't have posted this if I thought I would get flippant remarks.

Obviously I mean poor players by club standards. This was a serious post as to the correct response. You do not want players calling the TD every time a strange auction gets a good result.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#13 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-March-05, 07:32

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-March-05, 02:13, said:

I would endeavor to ensure that this player doesn't make this great a deviation when he bids 2 in future, the ACBL "definition" of "strong" notwithstanding*. I don't consider that "teaching bidding", but rather teaching how not to run afoul of the regulation against psyching a 2 opening.

I don't understand how this can be a "deviation" when there is no regulation defining what is "strong". A pair might consider a hand better than a minimum opening to be "strong", and this seems to be their right, though it might be alertable.

Is the regulation against psyching a 2 opening legal?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#14 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2011-March-05, 07:50

View PostVampyr, on 2011-March-05, 07:32, said:

It appears to be directly contrary to Law 40A3 and Law 40C1 that give a player the right to make any call not based on a partnership understanding.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-March-05, 08:11

View PostVampyr, on 2011-March-05, 07:32, said:

I don't understand how this can be a "deviation" when there is no regulation defining what is "strong". A pair might consider a hand better than a minimum opening to be "strong", and this seems to be their right, though it might be alertable.

View PostCascade, on 2011-March-05, 07:50, said:

It appears to be directly contrary to Law 40A3 and Law 40C1 that give a player the right to make any call not based on a partnership understanding.

Law 40B2{d}: The Regulating Authority may restrict the use of psychic artificial calls.

General Convention Chart, Item 2 under 'Disallowed': Psyching of artificial or conventional opening bids and/or conventional responses thereto. Psyching conventional suit responses, which are less than 2NT, to natural openings.

It's legal.

As to "there can't be a psych because 'strong' is not defined," I would suggest it's folly to attempt to apply logic to ACBL regulations. However, the fact that the TD at the table in the case I mentioned upthread called it "not a psych, but close" nonetheless implies that it is possible to psych a 2 opening. The table TD's opinion here, btw, was substantiated in later email correspondence by the then Chief TD of the ACBL.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-March-05, 11:55

View Postblackshoe, on 2011-March-05, 08:11, said:

... it is possible to psych a 2 opening.

Clearly. If the requirement is that it be "strong", then opening a hand that cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, be called strong would be a psych. However, there needs to be considerable leeway since "strong" is not defined. My guess is that the line realistically has to be drawn at just above a sound opening bid.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-March-05, 12:10

Of course 2 can be psyched, no matter how ill-defined the meaning of "strong" is.

A psyche is a gross, deliberate deviation from partnership agreements. Not a gross, deliberate deviation from the ACBL minimum requirements for a strong 2.

So if this pair has the agreement that 2 shows a hand expecting to make at least 7 tricks then it is not psyche. If the pair has the agreement that 2 shows at least 23 HCPs then it is either a psyche or a misbid.

Anyway, agree with Bluejak and Jilly. I don't see a problem here at all. It is hard enough to get noobs to join bridge clubs as their bidding mistakes elicit bad results as well as insulting remarks from the local wannabees. If their mistakes also elicit issues with the TD then we can forget about the future of bridge.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-March-05, 23:04

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-March-05, 12:10, said:

A psyche is a gross, deliberate deviation from partnership agreements. Not a gross, deliberate deviation from the ACBL minimum requirements for a strong 2.

The problem is that many poor pairs don't have detailed agreements about their strong 2 openings, they just agree "strong", and use their judgement to decide if a particular hand fits.

Which technically means they can't psyche this bid -- without an agreement, there's nothing to deviate from. That doesn't seem right, though. Perhaps it doesn't violate the psyche regulation, but it does seem like it violates full disclosure. If "strong" is whatever the player feels like at the time, how are the opponents supposed to know what to expect? On the other hand, the partner is just as much in the dark, so it's fair in that regard.

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-March-06, 08:08

"Fair in that regard"? No. Partner will have some experience of what "strong" means to opener, if it's ever come up before — and it will have. And it does violate full disclosure, so even in the unlikely event that partner is completely in the dark there is still an unfair advantage to their side.
--------------------

#20 User is offline   JoAnneM 

• LOR
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-06, 10:32

Start requiring opponents to call the director for an adjustment when they get good results from bad bidding. Maybe all the calls re new players learning how to bid will stop and the club will grow. :P
Regards, Jo Anne
Practice Goodwill and Active Ethics
Director "Please"!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users