• You cannot reply to this topic

old movies

#1 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-12, 21:43

When Harry Met Sally (1989)

I had not seen this movie in years...

Wonderful....funny, smart...sexy.......wonderful writing.

Can a man and a woman just be friends?

#2 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-12, 22:08

Yeh...I like that and the other chick flicks..."Forget Paris", and "Sleepless in Seattle", and "You've got Mail"...Does that make me a Beta Male? Or Just a Meg fan?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#3 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2011-February-13, 01:51

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-February-12, 22:08, said:

Yeh...I like that and the other chick flicks..."Forget Paris", and "Sleepless in Seattle", and "You've got Mail"...Does that make me a Beta Male? Or Just a Meg fan?

Or gay?

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2011-February-13, 07:59

I guess I will stand up for my fellow sentimentalist. I also like Meg Ryan. Sleepless in Seattle is a fun movie.

There are various movies of this sort, for example How to Marry a Millionaire. No one would claim that they are great art, but I sit down with a little wine in a comfortable chair and let it flow. Laura is another favorite. No thought required.

I don't always have the expected enthusiasm for action movies. I very much liked Rocky, the first one, but saw one other (Rocky 5, I think) and was bored silly. I have yet to see a Rambo. Robert Mitchum I like, maybe even John Wayne although it sometimes can be difficult to keep a straight face.

I saw The Rookie with Dennis Quaid the other night. A certain amount of fluff, no doubt, but I liked it more than I thought I would.

TCM is doing its 30 days with Oscar again this year so there might be a lot of opportunity for opinions here.
Ken

#5 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-October-24, 18:20

Watching Top Gun(1986)

the movie does hold up for the most part.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-25, 20:27

Whoa! Old? These movies barely need a dusting when I get them from the library.

How about The Fearless Vampire Killers, a 1967 spoof by Roman Polanski that still plays funny despite its age. Sadly it's Sharon Tates last movie before Chuck Manson got her.

I see it's now known as Dance of the Vampires on imdb.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   kriegel 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-25, 21:20

I love When Harry Met Sally, and I just saw Sleepless in Seattle the other night. Two other big ones for me are All of Me (Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin) and Benny and Joon, which is my favorite romantic movie.

#8 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-25, 23:06

I saw two old movies (for me old movie means older than me) on my flight to India:

All the President's Men (1976) - holds up for me.

Mean Streets (1973) - didn't hold up for me.

#9 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-October-25, 23:25

View PostMbodell, on 2012-October-25, 23:06, said:

I saw two old movies (for me old movie means older than me) on my flight to India:

All the President's Men (1976) - holds up for me.

Mean Streets (1973) - didn't hold up for me.

You do understand if you were not born then a movie cant hold up for you......

HOLD UP means great when it first came out and you saw it.....still great now :)
But maybe your usage is best...

I use "hold up" only in terms I first saw way back when and still enjoy....

But I do like your definition of old movies...so be it.. :)

I love the Thin man movies but not sure they still HOLD UP is the best phrase to use...:)

Maybe....wow these movies are classic great?

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-26, 11:02

Dial M for Murder

Hitchcock's mastery is ageless and very rarely matched.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-28, 23:23

View Postmike777, on 2012-October-25, 23:25, said:

You do understand if you were not born then a movie cant hold up for you......

HOLD UP means great when it first came out and you saw it.....still great now :)
But maybe your usage is best...

I use "hold up" only in terms I first saw way back when and still enjoy....

Yeah, I meant more hold up as in still seem quality when seen today. There are lots of old movies that still work for someone from a more modern time period:

Touch of Evil, Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Life, Charade, Metropolis, Adam's Rib, Taming of the Shrew, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Singing in the Rain, Wizard of Oz, Rear Window (or many, many other Hitchcock filems), Dr. Strangelove (or Lolita, or Clockwork Orange, or many other Kubrick) etc. are all old movies (by my definition) that work for me.

But while Mean Streets wasn't quite as bad for me as Breakfast at Tiffany's or Casablanca, I don't think its pacing and characters held up well to a more modern sensibility.

#12 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-28, 23:35

I only recently saw Casablanca and really enjoyed it, felt it easily lived up to the hype. I watch quite a lot of tcm and for me the best old movie is The Philadelphia Story. A bunch of the best classic actors doing some of their finest work with a great script and direction.

#13 User is offline   squealydan 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:most sport
    being in the great outdoors
    the daily show / colbert

Posted 2012-October-29, 03:26

View Postdwar0123, on 2012-October-28, 23:35, said:

I only recently saw Casablanca and really enjoyed it, felt it easily lived up to the hype. I watch quite a lot of tcm and for me the best old movie is The Philadelphia Story. A bunch of the best classic actors doing some of their finest work with a great script and direction.

A big tick for this post...

Of the really old films (black and white), The Big Sleep, Casablanca, Some Like it Hot, and To Have and Have Not are not far behind.

Of the mildly old films (colour now), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Graduate and the spaghetti westerns.

Of the films made after I was born, but before I would have been old enough to watch them... Chinatown, Mean Streets, Dog Day Afternoon, Apocalypse Now.

Anything from the 80's onwards cannot be called an old film, but I can see how younger folk than me might disagree.

#14 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2012-October-29, 06:30

Some old movies I saw when I was really young. I just checked, and The Lost Weekend was made in 1946, and Key Largo iin 1948, making me 7 and 9 respectively when I saw them I keep thinking maybe I saw Weekend as a re-run, but I recall finding Weekend more upsetting than Largo so maybe I did see it when I was 7. The degradation and humiliation came across pretty well to my young mind. Anyway, its fun to see them as an adult and try to remember back to my childhood.

The Third Man presents a variation on this childhood memory theme. I didn't see it when it cam out in 1949 but I read the book, one of the first adult themed books I ever read. I found the business about running around in the sewers of Vienna fascinating. As an adult I never tire of seeing the movie. Harry Lime's speech about the Borgias, Michelangelo, Switzerland and the cuckoo clock is inspired (and I am not all that much an Orson Welles fan in general), and the final scene is a perfect closing for the story.

I was 14 when Salome came out. I have never re-seen it as an adult, but I recall being very impressed, to put it tactfully, by Rita's dance. After which John the Baptist's head appeared on a platter, I believe. That also made an impression. Perhaps I don't recall it all correctly.

I did not see The Best Years of Our Lives when it came out in 46. Too bad. I think it is a very good movie and I am sure I could have mostly made sense of it when I was 7. My middle-school aged grandson recently was assigned to interview someone (he chose me) who was alive during WW II They all had to gather info and give a talk in class.This movie could give a good sense of American priorities and attitudes in 1946 and I mentioned it but I don't think he watched it.

So I don't know if I really recommend either Weekend or Largo. They are good but you can easily live without them. I do heartily recommend Third Man and Best Years. Another from that period that I like , and I think just about everyone likes, is Laura. I think Salome is mostly for Rita Hayworth fans. I believe that means all of the male half of the population.

Philadelphia Story was mentioned. I have seen it several times and despite practically being able to say every line before it is delivered, I imagine I will see it a few more times.
Ken

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2012-October-29, 09:04

View Postsquealydan, on 2012-October-29, 03:26, said:

Of the mildly old films (colour now), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Graduate and the spaghetti westerns.

Of the films made after I was born, but before I would have been old enough to watch them... Chinatown, Mean Streets, Dog Day Afternoon, Apocalypse Now.

I may be mistaken, but I thought Butch Cassidy and The Graduate, at least, were in color originally. I don't recall ever seeing Mean Streets, and I know I haven't seen Apocalypse Now, as it came out during the period when I absolutely refused to watch anything about the Vietnam War. The first such movie I watched was "Good Morning, Vietnam," and that only because it had Robin Williams in it. Even that one stirred up things I would have rather lay dormant.

View Postkenberg, on 2012-October-29, 06:30, said:

The Third Man presents a variation on this childhood memory theme. I didn't see it when it cam out in 1949 but I read the book, one of the first adult themed books I ever read. I found the business about running around in the sewers of Vienna fascinating. As an adult I never tire of seeing the movie. Harry Lime's speech about the Borgias, Michelangelo, Switzerland and the cuckoo clock is inspired (and I am not all that much an Orson Welles fan in general), and the final scene is a perfect closing for the story.

I was 14 when Salome came out. I have never re-seen it as an adult, but I recall being very impressed, to put it tactfully, by Rita's dance. After which John the Baptist's head appeared on a platter, I believe. That also made an impression. Perhaps I don't recall it all correctly.

So I don't know if I really recommend either Weekend or Largo. They are good but you can easily live without them. I do heartily recommend Third Man and Best Years. Another form that period that I like , and I think just about everyone likes, is Laura. I think Salome is mostly for Rita Hayworth fans. I believe that means all of the male half of the population.

Philadelphia Story was mentioned. I have seen it several times and despite practically being able to say every line before it is delivered, I imagine I will see it a few more times.

I saw The Third Man on TV at some point, not during my early childhood, and before I read the book. I still think it's a great movie.

Re: Salome. Your recollection matches mine. :)

I don't recall the Philadelphia Story. I'll have to look it up.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 09:15

View Postmike777, on 2011-February-12, 21:43, said:

Can a man and a woman just be friends?

Mike, allow me to blow your mind with the Ladder Theory.
(The link has some bad words - warning)
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#17 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2012-October-29, 14:26

The best movie ever made: Lawrence of Arabia.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#18 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-29, 14:33

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-October-29, 09:15, said:

Mike, allow me to blow your mind with the Ladder Theory.
(The link has some bad words - warning)

Sally: They do not.
Harry: Do too.

Shouldn't that be "Do to"?

#19 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-October-30, 16:13

The force is strong with Mickey Mouse.

In one of the most momentous entertainment industry acquisitions of the last 30 years, the Walt Disney Company announced on Tuesday that it is purchasing Lucasfilm in a stock and cash purchase valued at $4.05 billion. The deal includes plans for Star Wars: Episode VII, which is in early development, aiming for release in 2015. Walt Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced in a shareholder conference call that the studio also plans to release Episode VIII and Episode IX. “Our longterm plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years,” he added, noting that the

http://insidemovies....star-wars-film/

#20 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-30, 23:23

I agree this is pretty crazy. I hope we don't see too much direct to DVD star wars films. But I imagine the next trilogy will nearly pay for the deal as they'll probably make 3-5 billion nominal in worldwide box office (with the plans to be 3D) plus all the merchandising. Of course they'll probably cost nearly 1 billion to make too.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users