BBO Discussion Forums: Optimal MP contract after 4tth Suit Force - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Optimal MP contract after 4tth Suit Force

#1 User is offline   sathyab 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-05, 07:52

R/W at MP, LHO deals, passes and opponents are silent the rest of the auction, which proceeds as follows.

1 1
1 2
2 2nt

You could bid 3 now (or perhaps 3 artificial s; if you do, is that still considered 4th suit or 5th ?), but that'll get you to 4 far too often. It's a new partnership, no discussion of whether 2nt followed by 3nt promises 5s, except possibly that a second suit over 3 promises a 5-bagger and that a direct 3nt would deny one. Having said that, I might have the same problem in a more established partnership as well. My problem now is that if partner's s are decent such as say KJTxxx or even KJxxxx and s relatively weak, 3nt might easily produce the same number of tricks as 4. Or say some other hand like KQxx xxx - AKxxxx, is an excellent 3nt, they might need to lead a to stop 12 tricks, but 4 makes only 10 tricks most of the time. But if his are weaker, 4 gives you time to establish them. Is there way to offer a meaningful choice of games to partner or should you bid/gamble 3nt yourself ?
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..."

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-05, 07:57

I don't think your methods should be geared to finding 3NT when you have an eight-card major suit fit and the short hand has a void in the unbid suit.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-05, 08:54

I am not convinced that 3H will get you to 4H far too often.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users