BBO Discussion Forums: The Conspiracy of Mathematics - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Conspiracy of Mathematics Or, why education reform won't find Elvis.

#61 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-February-10, 07:55

View Postgwnn, on 2011-February-10, 06:10, said:

I meant to say that it's way too advanced for winstonm :)

No, I knew the order of numbers was defined. :P
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#62 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-February-10, 08:20

Let's try to prove that 2+2 = 4

2+2 = 2+(1+1) because 2 is defined as 1+1
= (2+1)+1 we have to assume by axiom that we are allowed to move brackets in sums. Makes sense, if I have two apples and get one more and later get one more again, it doesn't matter if the two latter apples arrive as one batch or not
= 3+1 because 3 is defined as 2+1
= 4 because 4 is defined as 3+1
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#63 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-February-10, 09:32

You may find it hard to believe, but nowhere along my educational route did anyone ever simply stop and say, these are axioms. An axiom is.... We use axioms because...This is how it works...

Instead, math was always presented as "do it this way because the me and the book say to do it this way".

For me, at least, having an understanding of the why seems almost an intergral part of my ability to learn.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#64 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-February-10, 09:53

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-February-10, 09:32, said:

You may find it hard to believe, but nowhere along my educational route did anyone ever simply stop and say, these are axioms. An axiom is.... We use axioms because...This is how it works...

Instead, math was always presented as "do it this way because the me and the book say to do it this way".

For me, at least, having an understanding of the why seems almost an intergral part of my ability to learn.

This is a weird pedagogical thing. One would like to give children the building blocks so that they have full understanding; however, two problems:
1) sometimes it's easier (and often more effective -- people in general do poorly with abstraction) to give them something half-built, not talk about the internals, and allow them to continue building, swap out parts, mimic what others have built, ask questions about why -- with these pieces -- we can't build X, Y, or Z; and
2) sometimes teachers don't understand the building blocks well enough to teach them. Certainly I don't trust the vast majority of elementary educators to do any justice to mathematics.

It is striking to me that when I ask what you learned in math between, say, 3rd grade (when people usually get into times-tables and basic multiplication) and 8th grade (possibly 7th), where you start (pre-)algebra, most people can only come up with "long division" or "we multiplied 3 digit numbers by 2 digit numbers. Then we multiplied 3 digit numbers by 3 digit numbers." This has to be a function of how kids are learning at those ages; retention just seems to be really bad, so we have to pound it in there by rote. Part of me says "there has to be a better way," but part of me says "they're kids, and I think in elementary school, it's more important to teach them to be good people and let them develop socially than it is to teach them long division."

Squeezes seem so easy in comparison.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#65 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-February-10, 10:23

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-February-10, 09:32, said:

For me, at least, having an understanding of the why seems almost an integral part of my ability to learn.

I didn't come across axioms in junior hi either. There were a couple of proofs or pseudo-proofs but whether the fundaments on which they were based were axioms, lemmas or just common sense wasn't clear. It doesn't really matter, either. In my "proof" that 2+2=4, you may wonder whether the "axiom" I invoke, namely that I am allowed to move brackets, is really part of the axiomatic basis for number theory as it is taught in universities, or if it was something I made up for the purpose of this "proof". But it doesn't matter, since I am not going to provide a coherent account of number theory here anyway. Not did your teachers at high school.

If you take maths to a serious level (I mean, taking the graduate classes made for students who specialize in maths for its own sake, rather than as a tool to use in subjects), at some point you will run into assertions that are not so obviously true. And then it may be of interest to know (and maybe even to be able to prove!) that the axiom of choice, for example, is something that can't be proven so although it is intuitively obvious (to most of us), it is something we just have to assume by axiom, and we could also assume its negation, and it may be of interest to explore how maths would look like if based of the negation of the axiom of choice.

It relies a lot of intuition, and this intuition is used in two ways: to decide which axioms we chose (we chose the axiom of choice rather than its negation because it is more intuitive), and to make short-cuts in the proofs (we don't bother to prove everything, most of the time we accept something as proven as soon as it is intuitively obvious that it can be proven).

But for everyday purposes, maths is about what just has to be true by sheer logical necessity.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#66 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-February-10, 11:38

View Posthelene_t, on 2011-February-10, 10:23, said:

I didn't come across axioms in junior hi either. There were a couple of proofs or pseudo-proofs but whether the fundaments on which they were based were axioms, lemmas or just common sense wasn't clear. It doesn't really matter, either. In my "proof" that 2+2=4, you may wonder whether the "axiom" I invoke, namely that I am allowed to move brackets, is really part of the axiomatic basis for number theory as it is taught in universities, or if it was something I made up for the purpose of this "proof". But it doesn't matter, since I am not going to provide a coherent account of number theory here anyway. Not did your teachers at high school.

If you take maths to a serious level (I mean, taking the graduate classes made for students who specialize in maths for its own sake, rather than as a tool to use in subjects), at some point you will run into assertions that are not so obviously true. And then it may be of interest to know (and maybe even to be able to prove!) that the axiom of choice, for example, is something that can't be proven so although it is intuitively obvious (to most of us), it is something we just have to assume by axiom, and we could also assume its negation, and it may be of interest to explore how maths would look like if based of the negation of the axiom of choice.

It relies a lot of intuition, and this intuition is used in two ways: to decide which axioms we chose (we chose the axiom of choice rather than its negation because it is more intuitive), and to make short-cuts in the proofs (we don't bother to prove everything, most of the time we accept something as proven as soon as it is intuitively obvious that it can be proven).

But for everyday purposes, maths is about what just has to be true by sheer logical necessity.

It appears to me that one of the basic difficulties in teaching mathematics is that we are dealing with abstractions rather than real objects, and as children we are used to objects. That to me explains why it is easier to get kids to understand that 2 apples + 2 apples = 4 apples. It is not so easy to grasp the concept of -2 apples + -2 apples = -4 apples when there are no minus appole objects to point to.

The former we can illustrate - the latter we can only conceptualize with a substitution for actual minus objects, the number line.

I could be wrong about all this, though.

#67 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-February-10, 12:24

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-February-10, 11:38, said:

It appears to me that one of the basic difficulties in teaching mathematics is that we are dealing with abstractions rather than real objects, and as children we are used to objects. That to me explains why it is easier to get kids to understand that 2 apples + 2 apples = 4 apples. It is not so easy to grasp the concept of -2 apples + -2 apples = -4 apples when there are no minus appole objects to point to.

The former we can illustrate - the latter we can only conceptualize with a substitution for actual minus objects, the number line.

Well, if we had a scale that measured in apples (of course, we could use 1 lb weights), +apples would go on one side and -apples would go on the other. The sum is always the net reading on the scale. This is the number line with something concrete illustrating it. This probably doesn't help with -A x -B = A x B, but it should help with adding negatives to positives and negatives to negatives. This should show that taking one away from one side is the same as adding one to the other; armed with this knowledge we can also talk about what 3 - (-4) is. We start with 3 on the + side of the scale, and then we take away -4; that is, we take away 4 from the negative side. Taking from one is the same as adding to the other, so we lump 4 more on the + side for a net of +7.

Idk, stream of consciousness
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#68 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-10, 13:15

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-February-10, 11:38, said:

I agree, it's a very tricky problem. Part if it is that the teachers don't understand the abstraction usually.

That said, shapes are pretty concrete and contain a lot of the abstractness (this also requires a teacher who really "gets it" so maybe it wouldn't be that applicable). But you could give a child a grid and 9 checkers and ask them to make a square. Count the sides of the square, etc. Then with 16 checkers. What about 17? Huh...can't do it? How about 12? Still no? Can you make a rectangle with 12 pieces? How long are it's edges.

In the end, you can really develop numbers from geometry...but it takes a bit of work. Would be interesting to try though.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#69 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-February-10, 13:26

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-February-10, 13:15, said:

That said, shapes are pretty concrete and contain a lot of the abstractness (this also requires a teacher who really "gets it" so maybe it wouldn't be that applicable). But you could give a child a grid and 9 checkers and ask them to make a square. Count the sides of the square, etc. Then with 16 checkers. What about 17? Huh...can't do it? How about 12? Still no?

I can make a square with 12 checkers...
Alderaan delenda est

#70 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-February-10, 13:40

Sounds like the geometry version of "Name That Tune".

#71 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-10, 13:58

View Posthrothgar, on 2011-February-10, 13:26, said:

On a grid with no leftovers?
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#72 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2011-February-10, 14:38

View PostBunnyGo, on 2011-February-10, 13:58, said:

On a grid with no leftovers?

Yes, the square wouldn't be filled in, but it would still be a square, and even have an equal number of checkers on each side
Alderaan delenda est

#73 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2011-February-10, 14:46

I can make one with 17 checkers, and I even have a checker left for the center.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#74 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-February-10, 14:44

I think he means a 5x5 square which has 12 white and 13 black squares?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#75 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-10, 15:01

View Postgwnn, on 2011-February-10, 14:44, said:

I think he means a 5x5 square which has 12 white and 13 black squares?

Yes, otherwise the center checker would not be on the grid. :ph34r:
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#76 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-10, 15:30

This will only appeal to mathematicians: The University gives a mathematics competition for high school students. The first round is a flock of mostly but not entirely straightforward problems. We take the best fifty or so and invite them to take the second round where the problems are tougher. Back when I was involved with this we gave a problem involving a checkerboard. One kid's solution began "Consider a checkerboard as a free abelian group on 64 generators..." His solution was correct.
Ken

#77 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-February-10, 18:12

View Postkenberg, on 2011-February-10, 15:30, said:

This will only appeal to mathematicians: The University gives a mathematics competition for high school students. The first round is a flock of mostly but not entirely straightforward problems. We take the best fifty or so and invite them to take the second round where the problems are tougher. Back when I was involved with this we gave a problem involving a checkerboard. One kid's solution began "Consider a checkerboard as a free abelian group on 64 generators..." His solution was correct.

That must have really pissed off the first 63 generations of Free Abelians. B)

#78 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-11, 14:18

I'm sorry, but if anybody can build a square out of any number of checkers, they're not using the same sets I grew up with. I find mine always tend to have those wavy edges that my drafting teacher tended to mark down as "don't freehand, use a ruler."

I'm sorry, couldn't resist.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#79 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-11, 14:58

View Postmycroft, on 2011-February-11, 14:18, said:

I'm sorry, but if anybody can build a square out of any number of checkers, they're not using the same sets I grew up with. I find mine always tend to have those wavy edges that my drafting teacher tended to mark down as "don't freehand, use a ruler."

I'm sorry, couldn't resist.

You rich kids! When I was a kid we had to make our own checkers, and it was easiest to make them square.

#80 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2011-February-11, 16:30

View PostPassedOut, on 2011-February-11, 14:58, said:

You rich kids! When I was a kid we had to make our own checkers, and it was easiest to make them square.

Luxury! We had to get up three hours before we went to bed, hue checkers from the bones of our own legs, then walk barefooot miles and miles in 12 foot drifts of snow on top of furnace grates until the soles of our feet were crisscrossed enough from the char to be used as a checkboard.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users