BBO Discussion Forums: Is this double still penalty - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this double still penalty

Poll: Is this double still penalty (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Is partner's double for Penalty?

1. Double is penalty and I'm sitting (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Double is Penalty but I'm pulling to 3D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Double is Takeout, I bid 3D (11 votes [55.00%])

Percentage of vote: 55.00%

4. I refuse to answer on the grounds that 1NT was such a bad bid (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Other (pls explain) (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-February-02, 08:57

IMPS

I've been away fromt he game a while, is it still "standard" to play North's second Double as penalty? It was back in the day :) but I don't know if things have changed.

Are you sitting?
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-02, 10:03

Partner already doubled for takeout. He can't change his mind and suddenly have a stack of hearts now. :)

I've always played this double as "cards" -- it says that partner has quite a bit more than a minimum takeout double and would like us to take some action rather than sell to 2. Depending on the nature of our hand, we can pass it or pull to any suit or bid notrump again.

On our actual hand, we don't really have the heart holding for pass. Sure, we usually beat 2X on power, but partner will often have a singleton or small doubleton heart, and one can easily imagine the opponents going down one or even making if opener has some extra shape. I don't like 3 because we have a pretty nice hand (1NT for me could easily be some 6-count, and partner's extras opposite my nine adds up to a game). I'd take a shot at 3NT; risky with only one heart stop but I pretty much know where the opponents cards are and I can make opposite something like Kxxx xx AKxx AQx which is nothing special for partner.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-02, 11:18

awm, on 2011-February-02, 10:03, said:

Partner already doubled for takeout. He can't change his mind and suddenly have a stack of hearts now. :)

.......(1NT for me could easily be some 6-count, and partner's extras opposite my nine adds up to a game). I'd take a shot at 3NT; risky with only one heart stop but I pretty much know where the opponents cards are and I can make opposite something like Kxxx xx AKxx AQx which is nothing special for partner.

Given the premise (1NT could be a ratty 6-count), everything Adam writes is perfect. But, if the premise is that 1NT showed 8-10 with no particular suit interest, then the second double would become a strong penalty suggestion ---extra defense for the previous double. This would not be changing the nature of the first double ---but rather an adjustment considering the rest of the auction.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-February-02, 12:01

Yeah, card showing seems about right. You can definitely convert if you wish, but the double just says that he has extras.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#5 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-02, 16:58

It cannot be a penalty double if the first double was a takeout double. The second double is best described as "some extra values" with willingness to compete further and the extra values could be in the form of perfect takeout shape so the advancer should consider that possibility. The 1NT bidder nearly never leaves the Dbl in for penalty but it can happen.

#6 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-02, 17:08

I agree with the others... that 2nd DBL is still T/O ... with extras.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#7 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-02, 19:09

THanks for the input all.

awm, on 2011-February-02, 10:03, said:

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I meant "strongly penalty oriented" as obviously you do not have a Heart stack :)

This was the hand:

Back in the day .. the second double after a 1NT bid was primarily headhunting .. however today my partner took it for takeout - as did this poll. When did this change? And I'm curious .. why? Once partner bids 1NT, at what point do you get to collect 800 when they continue to bid foolishly? Or nowadays are you allowed to bid with impunity even when the opponents bid NT after you?
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-February-02, 20:34

humilities, on 2011-February-02, 19:09, said:

THanks for the input all.

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I meant "strongly penalty oriented" as obviously you do not have a Heart stack :)

This was the hand:

Back in the day .. the second double after a 1NT bid was primarily headhunting .. however today my partner took it for takeout - as did this poll. When did this change? And I'm curious .. why? Once partner bids 1NT, at what point do you get to collect 800 when they continue to bid foolishly? Or nowadays are you allowed to bid with impunity even when the opponents bid NT after you?

As posters above have pointed out, your hand cannot miraculously change from takeout to penalty. You had a takeout x, how can it suddenly change to a hand that would double hearts for penalties? As pointed out above, you are showing a hand better than a minimum takeout. Partner can pass or bid something. By the way, I don't think this has changed over the years, but has always been thus.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#9 User is offline   A2003 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-02, 21:56

Double is takeout and south with Balanced hand, no 5 card suit, no 4 good suit to bid, based on north showing extra value, south takes the chance to convert the double to penalty.

If West has these cards, it will make 2 contract. No 800 available.

#10 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-February-02, 21:55

With a beer too if not careful!
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#11 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-03, 03:05

humilities, on 2011-February-02, 19:09, said:

Once partner bids 1NT, at what point do you get to collect 800 when they continue to bid foolishly?

You get to collect 800 when you have a strong takeout double and partner has a penalty pass - which is more likely after you've made one takeout double and partner has responded 1NT, than if you both had balanced-ish hands and you had happened to make a takeout double with yours.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-February-03, 03:29

A2003, on 2011-February-02, 21:56, said:

Double is takeout and south with Balanced hand, no 5 card suit, no 4 good suit to bid, based on north showing extra value, south takes the chance to convert the double to penalty.

If West has these cards, it will make 2 contract. No 800 available.

Except he probably opened 4 with that.

Where you collect is where partner has a balanced 18-19 and your 1N overcall is 15-17. I think it's more useful to be able to double on 15-16 with a heart shortage than guaranteeing a heart holding, so at this vul or at teams, you need better hearts than that to pass. If opps were vul at pairs, I might attempt to take 200 against a part score.

#13 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-February-03, 07:03

You definitily need a partnership agreement for this.

But a good agreement is: Double is for penalty once
either of us has bid a natural notrump earlier in the auction.

The initial double could have been on a NT-hand (18-20). and 1NT promesses stop with 8-11H !

Bob Herreman

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-February-03, 18:13

Lurpoa, on 2011-February-03, 07:03, said:

You definitily need a partnership agreement for this.

But a good agreement is: Double is for penalty once
either of us has bid a natural notrump earlier in the auction.

The initial double could have been on a NT-hand (18-20). and 1NT promesses stop with 8-11H !

You think this is a "good agreement"? I would suspect the frequency of this happening might be once every year or so. Further even then you mu#ight not collect as much as a making 3NT.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-February-04, 04:22

the hog, on 2011-February-03, 18:13, said:

You think this is a "good agreement"? I would suspect the frequency of this happening might be once every year or so. Further even then you mu#ight not collect as much as a making 3NT.

Well, it is a "default" agreement I like to play with my partners... It is easy to remember and it has worked well for me, but, I agree, I am "relatively" new in this game.
And I agree that this sequence is rather unprobable, but still: a light opening, and....
and indeed 3NT "might" make, but in that case they also go for four-number figure: MATCH over !!!
I do not think it is worthwile making an exception to our default, just for this case, which anyway might score.
Nevertheless, thank you for your comment, but I was aware of that....
:)
Bob Herreman

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users