BBO Discussion Forums: Watson's the Play of the Hand at Bridge - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Watson's the Play of the Hand at Bridge hold up

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2004-September-07, 03:25

Hi
I am reading chapter9 on hold-up, this is the second hand example given.
Watson is talking about the hold up play of the club suit and says "...you are worried about the location of only one card, the diamond King. If West holds it, you can finesse against it successfully. If East holds it, the chances are better than even that East held originally three clubs at the most."

I do not understand the correlation between East holding the K and therefore only 3. Can someone explain please?

jillybean

#2 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-September-07, 03:39

I guess this is a quite tricky hand. If east plays his J at trick 1, you'll have to decide where A is, and probably just take your 7 or 8 tricks... If he takes the A, you're home imo, unless East has a 5 card and K. This has nothing to do with the question btw.

I also don't see the corelation immediatly. It has probably something to do with leading s and leading your longest suit...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#3 User is offline   helium 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:BRIDGE!!!!!!

Posted 2004-September-07, 04:00

whats the contract?
foole me once, shame one you!!
foole me twice, shame on me....!!

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2004-September-07, 04:02

oops, 3NT

#5 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-September-07, 05:22

It is badly expressed, but I don't believe he making a corellation. I think what he is trying to say is that from the choice of the lead it is likely that East has 3 cards at most (because people rarely lead a short minor against 3NT), so as long as you can hold up the club it doesn't matter if East has the K.

Does that make moer sense?

Eric

#6 User is offline   helium 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:BRIDGE!!!!!!

Posted 2004-September-07, 05:54

lol i guess i should ask all questions at once sry , but whats the lead and whos declerer, did opps bid?

kenneth
foole me once, shame one you!!
foole me twice, shame on me....!!

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-September-07, 06:11

I agree with Eric that it is badly worded. What he means is if clubs are 4-4 there is no problem (lose 3 and 1), and if EAST has five clubs, it doesn't matter whether you hold up or not. The holdup saves you when in fact EAST has exaxtly three clubs.

Ben
--Ben--

#8 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2004-September-07, 07:51

Thanks, that does make a lot more sense ;)

#9 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Challenge square dancing (besides the obvious)

Posted 2004-September-07, 15:26

Oddly enough, I think there is a correlation between East holding the DK and West holding five clubs. Let's see if I can explain it.

I have to assume (my Watson is C 1958 so I assume old-fashioned bidding but it's also the second hand in my Chapter 9.) The bidding is unfortunately omitted. So either weak NT - 3NT or S:1D, N:3D forcing, S:3NT, or N:1D, S:2NT N:3NT. In any event, probably somebody denied a four card major (either by not bidding Stayman or by not responding a major to 1D.) So, I presume that if West had four clubs and a four card major, the major would be chosen.

Case 1: East has no diamonds. West has four and frequently has only four clubs as his longest suit.

Case 2: East has one diamond, West has three and could be 3-3-3-4.

Case 3: East has two diamonds, West has 2 and can't have only four clubs without having a four card major. Clearly this is also true when East has more than two diamonds.

So, West is only leading a four card club suit in Case 1 or 2. Clearly if East has the king of diamonds, Case 1 is out and Case 2 is only true if it's singleton. So, I think that East's holding the king of diamonds does reduce the chances for a club lead from a four-card suit.
I tend to lead fourth best - as opposed to the best suit, the second best suit, or the third best suit for our side

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users