Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

red players

#1 User is offline   07922 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-January-13, 14:04

mention was made of red players without explanations. what is this?

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-January-13, 14:47

Players who are experiencing connection problems, or who get disconnected from BBO are marked in the color red. Their seats are reserved for a short period of time, in case they manage to get back online. So when someone talks about reds it means disconnected players.

#3 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-13, 16:20

View Postdiana_eva, on 2011-January-13, 14:47, said:

Players who are experiencing connection problems, or who get disconnected from BBO are marked in the color red. Their seats are reserved for a short period of time, in case they manage to get back online. So when someone talks about reds it means disconnected players.

Wait!! these are the Russian or Chinese players, also know as pinkos :) As a more honest possibility others could mean vulnerable conditions apply to a particular player but the connection issue is also a strong or stronger candidate.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2011-January-13, 16:24

View Postpooltuna, on 2011-January-13, 16:20, said:

Wait!! these are the Russian or Chinese players, also know as pinkos :) As a more honest possibility others could mean vulnerable conditions apply to a particular player but the connection issue is also a strong or stronger candidate.

Toona, take your meds!
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-January-14, 07:36

View Postpooltuna, on 2011-January-13, 16:20, said:

Hmm given the Forum where this was posted i guess it could mean vulnerable too :)

#6 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-14, 07:40

View Postdiana_eva, on 2011-January-13, 14:47, said:

These players are only marked red on the windows client. So if you are using the web client you will not know of the connection problem but other players at the table, using the older client, may discuss the 'red' player.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#7 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-14, 08:19

Red actually means "seat reserved for" in both the Windows and web-clients.

If a red name appears at a tournament or a team match table, the player in question is not online (because if the player was online he would be taken to his/her seat automatically and could leave that seat only by either logging off or withdrawing from the tournament). If a red name appears at a bridge club table, the player in question may or may not be online.

Of course a player who is not online may be having connection problems, but the redness in itself does not necessarily indicate this.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-January-14, 08:59

Sometimes people use "red" to refer to the red dot by someone's name, indicating connection problems. I'm not sure which is commoner, but for example in the tourney chat when people say "... is red" I think they usually mean the red dot, since the TD himself can see when someone is offline.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users