Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to bid a slam

#1 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-06, 07:01

We play Lawrence-style 2/1 where 3 is still forcing to game, 3 is an attempt to get to 3NT, and 4 now would be non-forcing.

How do you bid RKC for clubs? Is 4NT now RKC, regular blackwood, or Quantitative? Would a jump to 4 as his second bid have been this hand?
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-January-06, 07:06

4 is forcing, specially when 3 is forcing to game

If it is not (wich is weird), you can bid 4 instead of 3 setting up trumps and forcing partner to cuebid

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-January-06, 08:18

This is a very easy judgement issue. After North bids 3, showing weakness there, South knows all his HCP are working and the only doubt remaining is whether to bid 6 or 7.

Thus 4 + 4NT. Or 4NT if you play that it's RKCB for clubs (some people define a default trump suit as the one where 4NT bidder showed 6+ cards).

#4 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-06, 09:00

I agree with Da Flufster .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-January-06, 09:23

I also think 4 should be forcing. But if it's not, then I guess we can bid 3 along the way. 6 also has some play and pays more :D
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-January-06, 10:13

View Posthumilities, on 2011-January-06, 07:01, said:

We play Lawrence-style 2/1 where 3 is still forcing to game, 3 is an attempt to get to 3NT, and 4 now would be non-forcing.

How do you bid RKC for clubs? Is 4NT now RKC, regular blackwood, or Quantitative? Would a jump to 4 as his second bid have been this hand?

I would like to be playing that 4 is RKCB and 4NT is quantitative.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-January-06, 10:21

In typical 4 shows a slightly better suit I'm afraid.

If you play Minorwood in auctions like 1-2-4 or 1M - 2 - 4, then I think 4 in this auction would be KC asking. I don't particularly like minorwood; I'm just demonstrating that it should be read as such if you play it.

Slam should be bid here - minor suit small slams can be a little under 50%, and we exceed that.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   humilities 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-06, 10:52

We play 4 is not forcing here because we play 2/1 right off the Lawrence CD. In which case 4 of a minor is not forcing if: 1. Neither side has shown extra values, and 2) NT has been investigated and rejected. I think this auction meets both criteria.

Interesting that 4 is forcing for all of you. Maybe we should reevaluate our methods.

I like whereagles idea that 4NT is RKC for clubs for the reasons he stated. Thanks for that. I'm also coming to the conclusion that as long as we play 4 as not forcing, then the proper bid with this hand would have been 4 instead of 3.
It is impossible to believe in individual autonomy while simultaneously believing in a right to well-being supported by others.

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis.

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-January-06, 11:30

View Posthumilities, on 2011-January-06, 10:52, said:

We play 4 is not forcing here because we play 2/1 right off the Lawrence CD. In which case 4 of a minor is not forcing if: 1. Neither side has shown extra values, and 2) NT has been investigated and rejected. I think this auction meets both criteria.

Interesting that 4 is forcing for all of you. Maybe we should reevaluate our methods.

I like whereagles idea that 4NT is RKC for clubs for the reasons he stated. Thanks for that. I'm also coming to the conclusion that as long as we play 4 as not forcing, then the proper bid with this hand would have been 4 instead of 3.

I don't have the Lawrence CD, but I have the book. A jump to 4 is definitely forcing. I'd agree with you that is 2/1 is a force only through 4 of a minor then the auction:

1 - 2
2 - 3
3 - 4

would not be forcing. As a matter of fact Lawrence originally advocated the 3 call in the above auction as NF.

I would encourage you to re-evaluate your methods, and simply make a 2/1 an unconditional game force. While it is true that you lose the occasional where we make exactly '4', your slam bidding becomes much easier. For instance, on the actual hand, what can you possibly bid over 3 if 4 isn't forcing? It becomes a difficult problem.

I do not agree with Whereagles that 4 is RKC. I much prefer quantitative (a 2326 18 count would fit - how can you bid this otherwise?).
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-January-06, 12:00

View PostPhil, on 2011-January-06, 11:30, said:

I do not agree with Whereagles that 4 is RKC. I much prefer quantitative (a 2326 18 count would fit - how can you bid this otherwise?).

I think you meant 4NT. And yes, I agree quantitative is more adequate.

#11 User is offline   A2003 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-06, 12:56

#12 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-06, 12:59

I've always questioned the use of 4NT as RKC for Cl.
You might as well just bid slam, if you "feel" right about it. ONE key card ( 03 14, etc ) gets the 5D reply.... so you have to bid slam anyway:

1S - 2C! ( 2/1 GF )
2D - 4C ( sets trump and asks for cheapest cuebid )
4S ( surprise, surprise... NO red suit Controls, so have to have "stuff" in Spades for opening )
..... - 6C
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-January-06, 13:02

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2011-January-06, 12:59, said:

I've always questioned the use of 4NT as RKC for Cl.
You might as well just bid slam, if you "feel" right about it. ONE key card ( 03 14, etc ) gets the 5D reply.... so you have to bid slam anyway:

Well, some people play 1430...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-06, 14:05

Playing 1S-2C-2D-3C-3H-4C as NF seems reasonable. You might just have no heart stopper and it's time to bail out.

Anyways, definitely like a jump to 4C on round 2.

#15 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2011-January-07, 03:34

View Posthumilities, on 2011-January-06, 10:52, said:

The alternative to the jump the round before is to bid 4H.

4H cant be natural, and having already denied 2 spades, (we have 2 spades, but
partner cant know that), 4 heats, 4 diamond, I think that the logic of the system
indicates, that 4H showes a selfsufficent club suit.

Of course making the bid undiscussed, is asking for trouble.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#16 User is offline   xxhong 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-11, 12:59

You can probably play 1S 3C as setting up trumps in C. Otherwise, you have to bid 2C then 4C to set up trumps.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users