Missed game - ATB

#1 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-January-05, 06:55

IMPS

My feeling is N= 75%, S= 25%.

Concur?
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-January-05, 07:14

50% each for not insisting on playing Gazzilli.

In other news, I think this game makes less than 68% of the time.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2011-January-05, 07:37

This post is in the SAYC and 2/1 Discussion thread, and Gazilli is not part of either, so that is not the issue.

Unfortunately, SAYC and 2/1 do not handle intermediate strength hands very well (hence the use of Gazilli and a host of other methods to handle these hands). So North is forced to overbid his hand with a jump rebid, underbid his hand as he did, or misdescribe his hand with a 2NT rebid. All have flaws, and the actual choice led to a missed game.

2 is not an error (although it was timid). It was just an unfortunate choice.

As for South, I cannot imagine why he would do anything other than what he did.

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-January-05, 07:54

Don't feel strongly about this one. Both players could have bid 3. Personally I would never do so from South but would probably do it from North.

So I guess I do feel strongly about this one after all: 50% North 0% South.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 08:00

The only reason I gave South 25% is that game is possible on a host of 5-5 hands on the order of AKxxx KQxxx xx x or other variations which may require a finesse but are certainly 50% or better.

That being said, I think pass by S is pretty normal.
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 08:49

100% north

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-January-05, 08:52

View Postmgoetze, on 2011-January-05, 07:14, said:

50% each for not insisting on playing Gazzilli.

In other news, I think this game makes less than 68% of the time.

I guess everyone knows I'm a big fan of Gazzilli, but this comment is totally irrelevant imo. What's better after 1-1NT-2!-2 showing <8HCP and 2-3? You'll even miss the fit! Even when playing 2 as "17+ or nat" responder will bid negative...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2011-January-05, 08:59

View PostFree, on 2011-January-05, 08:52, said:

I guess everyone knows I'm a big fan of Gazzilli, but this comment is totally irrelevant imo. What's better after 1-1NT-2!-2 showing <8HCP and 2-3? You'll even miss the fit! Even when playing 2 as "17+ or nat" responder will bid negative...

Many play BART here but I understand many on the forum are a big fan of Gazzilli.

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2011-January-05, 09:03

North is close to something more, he didn't pick it, so be it, not something to care much about really.

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-January-05, 09:10

I'd say more like 80% north, 20% south, though both took perfectly reasonable actions.

#11 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 09:19

You can't blame anyone for making the systemic bid.
So there is no blame to assign.

South has no options to do anything different, but North had some options that could have lead to a different result.

The combination of and with this semi strong hand is a typical problem hand in both SAYC and 2/1.
North has a few bad ways to deviate from the system that could help, but probably won't in this specific case.

North could open 1NT to right side a potential NT contract, if the partnership does allow occasional 5cM's, but that won't help.
North could bid 2NT instead of 2 but that lie would miss the fit.
North could try to force, bidding 2 of a minor, if that is agreed.
North could try to bid 3, but that would misdescribe his shape, and would lead to a desaster if South has one of then many slightly different possible hands.

Do we really want our partner to guess one of these if he has a similar hand again?

#12 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 09:26

View PostFree, on 2011-January-05, 08:52, said:

Maybe you should reduce the requirements on 1-1NT-2-2 in your Gazzilli structure.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#13 User is offline   Lurpoa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SEF
    BBOAdvanced2/1
    2/1 LC
    Benjamized Acol
    Joris Acol
    Fantunes
    George's K Squeeze

Posted 2011-January-05, 09:33

View Postthe_dude, on 2011-January-05, 06:55, said:

IMPS

My feeling is N= 75%, S= 25%.

Concur?

This is IMPS. N cannot risk a pass from his partner. His hand is clearly worth a 3 bid. I know, partner can be aboslute minimum, and no fit, but even then....posibilities....3 in a 5-2 fit should be reasonable

On 2, S can only visualize game with a hand such as N actually has - but why then did he not bid 3 - and many hands in which 3 won't make.....
Bob Herreman

#14 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 09:57

100% North for not upgrading! Aces Kings and Tens are undervalued!
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 11:30

Enough hands like this will make you switch to strong club. There is no great answer. Bidding 3H with the north hand seems a little ridiculous (not just under high carded but seems wrong with such good minors). Bidding 2N is possible, but that might lose hearts, no doubt north was hoping for 1S-1N-2H-2S-2N which would describe his hand perfectly.

North should be aware to jumpshift a little bit lighter with the majors because of both the increased chance of being able to make game, and the decreased chance that partner can bid over 2H compared to 2D and 2C (basically he won't false preference into a stiff), but I agree with his action.

#16 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 11:56

View PostLurpoa, on 2011-January-05, 09:33, said:

This is IMPS. N cannot risk a pass from his partner. His hand is clearly worth a 3 bid. I know, partner can be aboslute minimum, and no fit, but even then....posibilities....3 in a 5-2 fit should be reasonable

there's no alighting in 3 once north bids 3 - it's GF. south can continue with 3 on an 11 count with nothing better to bid.

#17 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 13:22

100% to North.

Sorry, but this is just bean counting taken to the extreme. North has all aces and kings and excellent intermediates. Even valuing that hand as 18 is too little. Kaplan/Rubens rates it as 20.1 which is too much but you get the idea. Just do whatever you would normally do with 19 HCP and 5422 shape. Without gadgets that is definitely 3.

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-January-05, 13:49

Justin got it exactly right in my view. Assigning blame to either player is classic resulting. The methods don't handle this combination well.....but that argues for different methods, not for abusing the methods we have.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-January-05, 14:10

I've never played Gazilli, so I hadn't realised that it didn't cope with this hand. That seems a bit of a defect.

There are at least two reasonably simple methods available that do let opener bid this hand sensibly:

- Transfers. Opener transfers to hearts and then bids 2NT.

- 2 as a puppet to 2. Any action preceded by 2 shows a better hand than bidding it directly, so 1-1NT;2-2;2 is invitational.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#20 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-January-05, 14:19

View Postgnasher, on 2011-January-05, 14:10, said:

I've never played Gazilli, so I hadn't realised that it didn't cope with this hand. That seems a bit of a defect.

There are at least two reasonably simple methods available that do let opener bid this hand sensibly:

- Transfers. Opener transfers to hearts and then bids 2NT.

- 2 as a puppet to 2. Any action preceded by 2 shows a better hand than bidding it directly, so 1-1NT;2-2;2 is invitational.

Well, I tried to get people to agree what standard Gazzilli is, and everyone refused: "everyone plays it differently, there is no standard!" Free's Gazzilli method does not cope with this hand, but that doesn't mean that none do.

As for 2 puppet to 2, you might want to look up Riton 2 on the BBF Systems Index. ;)
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users