BBO Discussion Forums: 2NT rebid auctions - is this style common? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2NT rebid auctions - is this style common?

#1 User is offline   hirowla 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-25, 18:17

Hi, I posted some hands where the auctions seemed to start 1 - 2 and I was getting a recommendation of a 2NT rebid showing 15+ pts, game force and not necessary balanced (this was in the context of playing a weak NT opening bid and not playing 2/1).

Is this a common thing (and I've missed it)? Does it have a particular name (so I can look it up)? What are the advantages/disadvantages of it? Traditionally I use a NT rebid to show a NT style hand with a specific point count, and if I don't rebid NT then I don't have a NT style of hand (so I guess I would lose this). Is it only applicable for this particular auction start or is it applicable to other auctions (like 1 - 2 or 1 - 2 etc)?

Any information would be good.

Thanks,

Ian

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2013-December-25, 18:28

I play this in some partnerships, but I usually have a balanced hand. As a strange sounding corollary, for reasons you may figure out, we also play in this context that 1D-2C- 3C shows unbalanced with long or short clubs. 3C as a relay asks. 3M confirms length in clubs and the bid major as short; 3NT indicates short clubs. A direct 3M instead (not via 3C) shows shortness also but a different strength/type. 2M instead is real and unbalanced, as well. Weak balanced go through 2D.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-26, 11:36

No this is 1 poster's unusual system. It's unusual because it's terrible. You're taking away all
your space on your strong hands where you need space most for slam investigation.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-26, 11:56

Strong unbalanced hands can usually either splinter, reverse or rebid 3, all of which are gf.

I can sympathise with a 2NT rebid on something like AQx-AQx-Axxxxx-x or Kx-Kx-AKxxx-Kxxx, but in principle it shows a balanced hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-26, 12:59

After a 2/1, we play 2NT is 15-19 BAL - except in the case 1S-2H. The reason here is because you don't have a way to distinguish 15-17 hands from really big hands, if opener wants to support hearts.

So 1S-2H; 2NT is 15-19 BAL or a strong heart raise. 3C asks, then

3D = BAL, MIN
3H = BAL, MAX, a third heart
3S = BAL, MAX, a fifth spade
3NT = BAL, MAX, no 3H or 5S
4C = strong hand with heart support & club splinter
4D = ditto, with a diamond splinter
4H = any other strong hand with heart support

An alternative method is to play 1S-2H as GF (while 1S-2m is the usual 10+).

Cyberyeti plays some multi-way 2NT GF conventions, you could ask her for some info.

ahydra

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users