BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB Or no B?

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-December-27, 17:17

Is there someone to blame?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2010-December-27, 17:21

West.
3 is very very inviting, only to be passed by responder with a very bad hand.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#3 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-27, 19:12

How much worse can the 1N, then 2S be?
East goes 4S: 6-suit, primes, void!
How can West not accept? SQ +H-ruff.
How much can partner need?

Invert the 2S immediate and 1N, then 2S.
2S immediate has Qx+ and some near 2 tricks.
1NT then 2S has Qx+ and some near 3+ tricks --
hoping opener's response helps evaluate the 9-10.

#4 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2010-December-27, 21:11

There is plenty of B. All to West!

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-December-27, 21:17

View PostHanoi5, on 2010-December-27, 17:17, said:

Is there someone to blame?
IMO East might bid 3 instead of 3.

#6 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-28, 03:36

As far as I aware. most pairs play that ,, is weaker than ,,, so blame (if there is any) goes with West here.

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-28, 04:42

No blame IMO, both bid perfectly fine and didn't expect the hands to fit so well

#8 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-28, 04:53

View Postnige1, on 2010-December-27, 21:17, said:

And how would 3 have helped here reaching game?

Contrary to most I blame East. He just cut things too fine, when a couple of queens were enough to make game excellent.
I for my part do not want my partners to accept invitations, when they have shown some values already, if they have no ace or king. You need first round controls to make game and East had them.
East just did not appreciate what a strong hand he held. The preference is enough to bid game. It is just plain wrong to assume that partner will hold the worst possible holding for his bidding so far. 3 deserved what it got

Rainer Herrmann

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-28, 14:59

View Postrhm, on 2010-December-28, 04:53, said:

Contrary to most I blame East. He just cut things too fine, when a couple of queens were enough to make game excellent.

Two fitting queens alone don't make game excellent, or even OK. Game is poor opposite any of xx Qxx Qxx Kxxxx, Qx Qxx xxx Kxxxx and Qx xxx Qxx Kxxxx.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2010-December-28, 15:27

View Postnige1, on 2010-December-27, 21:17, said:

Come on man, that's resulting... 3 is more like this

x
xx
KQJTxx
xxxx

and you know it.

As to the actual hand, no blame. The key is the diamond double fit, which is simply impossible to evalute with usual methods.

#11 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2010-December-28, 15:39

View Postwhereagles, on 2010-December-28, 15:27, said:

Come on man, that's resulting... 3 is more like this

x
xx
KQJTxx
xxxx

and you know it.

Ehh? East has the 6430 hand. Whether 3 is right or not depends on what kind of diamonds you prefer it to show - and how many.
Kind regards,
Harald

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-28, 21:01

I would bid it in imps by west but i wouldn't make a big deal if my pd passed with this. I dunno the scoring here. I agree with East's 3.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-29, 05:18

View Postgnasher, on 2010-December-28, 14:59, said:

Two fitting queens alone don't make game excellent, or even OK. Game is poor opposite any of xx Qxx Qxx Kxxxx, Qx Qxx xxx Kxxxx and Qx xxx Qxx Kxxxx.

I am well aware that there are layouts where game is poor. Partner's bidding is wide ranging, so it is not difficult to construct unsuitable hands.
But I doubt, as in the actual layout, partner can judge what is needed for game.
Also Bridge is not played double dummy. For example I would expect a trump lead to be forthcoming after this sequence a fair amount of the time.

Rainer Herrmann

#14 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-December-29, 08:23

View Postrhm, on 2010-December-29, 05:18, said:

I am well aware that there are layouts where game is poor. Partner's bidding is wide ranging, so it is not difficult to construct unsuitable hands.

I didn't set out to construct unsuitable hands. I gave West his most likely shape, then gave him "a couple of queens" in opener's suits, then considered whether game was "excellent".

If I wanted to construct an unsuitable hand, I would give West xx xxx Jxx KQxxx.

But I doubt, as in the actual layout, partner can judge what is needed for game.
Also Bridge is not played double dummy. For example I would expect a trump lead to be forthcoming after this sequence a fair amount of the time.

Those are rather better reasons for East to bid game. However, I think you're being optimistic in hoping for West to have so many fitting honours. And I don't think West will be so badly placed if we bid 3 - he will know that major-suit honours are valuable. He will think A is a good card, and it probably will be. The only card whose value he won't appreciate is Q.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#15 User is offline   gszeszycki 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-December-29, 12:42

lets try and put this in perspective

lets pretend W holds Qx Q Qxxxx xxxxx

and the bidding proceeds 1s (by east) 1n 2h 2s 3d that hugely anemic W hand suddenly takes on new life
and it would be reasonable to bid 4d (especially at imps) E would then bid 4S and that would end the bidding.
If responder had say Q Q Qxxxxx xxxxx they could pull 4s to 5d (then there would be no doubt p was void in C)

I hereby assign 100% of the blame to E for failing to pattern bid 3d. The 3s bid tells a partial story but a 3d
bid tells a much greater part of the story.

#16 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2010-December-29, 12:52

Bidding 3D will signify to partner that we don't have a fit. It will also show a LOT more in the way of high cards, because we're bidding without a fit. A 5431 17 count or a 5440 16 count would be typical of this bidding, not a 6430 13 count. Misdescribing our hand that much to partner while also not informing him of our fit is just not good. He will pass with Qx xxx QJTx Qxxx. This is not the same as bidding our fragment when we're in a GF auction or when we have already established a fit.

#17 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-December-29, 19:34

View PostJLOGIC, on 2010-December-29, 12:52, said:

Bidding 3D will signify to partner that we don't have a fit. It will also show a LOT more in the way of high cards, because we're bidding without a fit. A 5431 17 count or a 5440 16 count would be typical of this bidding, not a 6430 13 count. Misdescribing our hand that much to partner while also not informing him of our fit is just not good. He will pass with Qx xxx QJTx Qxxx. This is not the same as bidding our fragment when we're in a GF auction or when we have already established a fit.
RHM and JLOGIC don't like 3 but on the original hand, this trial-bid is likely to get us to game. IMO, 3 is an attempt to pattern-out and to consult partner. For us, 3 is technically forcing, so partner is unlikely to pass. Anyway, we can all construct hands to fit our prejudices. Thus, even a slam is reasonable opposite
KQ 2 Q76432 5432 :)

#18 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2010-December-29, 22:19

Why is 3D technically forcing? You didn't jumpshift, and partner never showed extras, so you denied enough to GF already. You also bid a natural suit. Why can't partner pass it? It doesn't make sense that 3D is forcing when you have already denied a GF hand.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2010-December-30, 12:43

View PostJLOGIC, on 2010-December-29, 22:19, said:

Why is 3D technically forcing? You didn't jumpshift, and partner never showed extras, so you denied enough to GF already. You also bid a natural suit. Why can't partner pass it? It doesn't make sense that 3D is forcing when you have already denied a GF hand.

Na, it is not forcing. I am not a 3 bidder with that hand, but if i did and pd passed, i wouldn't be unhappy.

xx
xx
Jxxxxx
KJx

or similar hands.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users