BBO Discussion Forums: "Thinking with Fred" on BIL First Aniversary - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Thinking with Fred" on BIL First Aniversary Partnership

#1 User is offline   Timbitt 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-August-25, 23:46

Greetings Everybody!

It is a treat to attend these sessions where Fred Gitleman shares his thinking throughout the hand as the foursome bids and plays.
Fred plays well, but that is not the real treat; rather, he glories in the growth of partnership.
This is so key to his bridge that he stressed it several times during today's session and he did so without the merest hint that he was patronizing any of us.
The players I try to watch often on BBO show the same high regard for partnership. No blame, no shame, no gloating and never any 'whyning'. How can anyone fail to play their best bridge with these folks as partner?

I know, I know, many of the greats are unfailingly gifted at partnership of this high order; however, those of us, the hordes of us 'below the salt', really should take their example to heart and practise it like the possessed.

To watch Fred partner somebody is SWEET and the bridge that comes from it ain't too shabby either.

#2 User is offline   Robertn 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-August-26, 13:28

Thx to Fred, Maureen, and all the players/organisers.

I thought it was interesting that most of the partnership issues that arose were related to style rather than specific systems and conventions. There were a few hands where it would have helped a lot to know whether partner tended to e.g. open light / compete aggressively / preempt with few hcp etc. I don't think there were any significant conventional misunderstandings (maybe one doubt about checkback which didn't affect the contract). Perhaps we should have standard abbreviations for such matters of style to go with all the conventions on profiles - it's only fair disclosure to both partner and opps :rolleyes:

Robert

#3 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-August-26, 14:05

Presumably this means I should add "bids like maniac" to my profile and Oliver should add "passes hands that Paul would open" :rolleyes: ;)

paulg
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#4 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-26, 15:13

I have a few suggestions for some acronyms for alerts with unknown partners, perhaps a few of you have some we could use and start setting an international standard.

iwwship............. I wonder what system he is using
wtf.....................was that forcing (versatile one)
omgtmai.............oh my god the mans an idiot
fp......................forcing pass (multi meaning)
blm....................bids like maniac
wo.....................weak opening
ow......................dyslexic
4nt......................oh my god I only have 4 points
c........................crappoletti
iwippt................I wonder if p plays transfers
twcpa4cmo..........this will confuse p a 4 card major opener

feel free to add to this list, you never know we could write a best seller from it

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-August-26, 15:38

Best thing about playing with FRED (many of us got to, hehehe), when you bumble along like an idiot, you still get praise, or at least the supporting words...

I sometimes wonder if lessor players belittle their parnters in an effort to make themselves seem better players (it wasn"t my fault we got a bad board -- look at the idiot i am playing with kind of attitude). A good partner will make you a better player by helping you avoid mistakes, and not being critical but constructive. This is one of the great advantages of the BIL, it provides a comfortable, supporting atmosphere in which you can learn to get better...

Congrad MAureen, and happy anniversary...

Ben
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-August-26, 16:49

i think you're exactly right, ben... it's as tho that type wants everyone to know that whatever happened wasn't *his* fault.. at least not this time :rolleyes:
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#7 User is offline   hallway 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Founder/Manager - Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO

Posted 2004-August-26, 17:55

I am pleased and proud that the BIL has made it through to the end of it's first Year.

It was a very real privelege to have Fred launch our Celebrations with one of his so very special THINK with FRED Sessions.

Made even more special having with us Sheri his Wife and Joan his Mother .

It is all too easy Online to forget that BBO exists soley through Fred, Uday and Sheri's time , expertise and committment - so many members take for granted all that is given to them.

In the BIL we put to good use every advancement possible - though I confess that often leads to more "Wishes".

I endorse what Timbitt says about Fred's sessions - the essence that makes them truly great and memorable is the way he exemplifies the fact that bridge is a game of Partnership ! If all my members can take that on board and as Timbitt says practice that like one possessed then there's no telling how many great players will emerge from the BIL.

You can learn all the systems, a 1000 conventions and count till the 'cows come home' but until you learn to have Respect for and Trust in your Partner you will never become a Great bridge player.

And so having survived a disconnect in the middle of the session - taking out the table with me :rolleyes: and the heart stopping machinations of my Assistant Managers aided and abetted I now learn by Fred and the BIL teachers ;) ;) the Birthday Celebrations are successfully underway - for the next ten days the members will 'party' ending on September 3rd when Jake will present to all of BBO his second Movie in the Lecture Hall "Bridge with Tiger Woods" .

THANK YOU - FRED, UDAY and SHERI for all you make possible for the BIL members
Maureen
Founder/Manager
Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO
Join on BIL Bridge

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users