Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My usual road to -670, -870 business or t/o? str nt, stayman, and inteference

#1 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-11, 12:11

Partner opens a str NT, 2nd hand passes, I bid stayman, and 4th hand overcalls 2M (let's say 2, natural).

Are opener's doubles business or t/o? If opener passes, what does that mean? Are responder's doubles then business or t/o?

If both opener's and responder's doubles are business, what is responder to do with say a 1/4/4/4 9 count after 2s by the overcaller gets passed around?

I get my -670's the old fashioned way -- I earn them. Bigger picture advice on these sequences would be greatly appreciated.

bbo: trevahound / brian zaugg
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2010-November-11, 12:37

You'll probably get a number of responses, but for me, doubles by both hands are takeout.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#3 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-November-11, 12:56

I play both doubles as penalty, but I know it's not a good agreement.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-11, 12:59

I was taught that an immediate double behind the overcaller is business and by the pass out seat is take-out. Over Under doubles.

The takeout double can often be converted as my pard and I specifally agree that it shows enough strength to ALMOST always get a plus opposite a 4 triple 15 count.

Pard may have the penalty hand without enough to pull the trigger on their own opposite weaker stayman hands.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-11, 13:12

I prefer to just play all of these kind of doubles as takeout.

There are too many different sequences to have rules for all of them unless you have a much better memory than mine. Relying on both partners to decide at the table what is logical in any given auction doesn't work that well either. The case for double by the 1NT bidder being penalty in this precise auction is fairly strong but I still think you won't lose much by playing it as takeout and will save a lot of headaches.

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2010-November-11, 13:20

I have followed this simple rule which takes care of most cases well enough.

Double behind the bidder is for penalties; double in front of the bidder is for takeout.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-11, 20:24

Around here (weak NT land alert) the most common method is for double to show hearts, 2S to show spades (over 2H) and for pass to deny these possibilities. In effect take-out over 2S and penalty over 2H.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-November-11, 21:02

View Posttrevahound, on 2010-November-11, 12:11, said:

Partner opens a str NT, 2nd hand passes, I bid stayman, and 4th hand overcalls 2M (let's say 2, natural). Are opener's doubles business or t/o? If opener passes, what does that mean? Are responder's doubles then business or t/o? If both opener's and responder's doubles are business, what is responder to do with say a 1/4/4/4 9 count after 2s by the overcaller gets passed around?I get my -670's the old fashioned way -- I earn them. Bigger picture advice on these sequences would be greatly appreciated.

• IMO, Double = takeout by opener or responder; especially if Stayman could be garbage.
  • If Stayman promises values, I still prefer takeout; but now there is more of a case for penalty.
  • I don't think the meaning should vary, depending on whether you are over or under the overcall.
  • Obviously any agreement is better than none.

#9 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-11, 21:25

A fair meta-agreement for double:

Doubles are penalty if:

• Our opening is NT at 2-level or above (natural).
  • We opened a preempt.
  • We have found a fit.
  • The auction is at game or higher, starting at opener's rebid. (These tend to be general strength rather than a trump stack.)

All other doubles are takeout. Exceptions may be defined, for example 1M-(P)-2M-(3any)-X may be defined as a game try.

#10 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-November-12, 06:24

I would suggest that whether the double is penalty or takeout should depend whether you paly garbage stayman or not. If yes, then t/o, if no, the penalties.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#11 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-12, 14:15

Thanks all -- appreciated.

I'm going to try t/o from both sides of the table, which should fit well with neg doubles at all levels here too.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users