BBO Discussion Forums: New Tourney Tool - Completion Rate Filter - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Tourney Tool - Completion Rate Filter

#21 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-November-06, 12:07

Bbradley62, on 2010-November-03, 18:15, said:

I don't understand this comment, in light of the chart above.

Think of it in terms of intervals:

There are fewer people who have completed 100% or more of their tournements than those who have completed 50% or more of their tournements.

#22 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2010-November-06, 12:54

I tried this filter on an indy today using an 80% completion rate.
Typically I would sub 15+ players who had quit. Today I subbed 3, a huge improvement. :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#23 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-November-06, 13:06

Deleted

#24 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-06, 13:14

Do players who are unable to register due to this restrcition get a very clear explanation of what has happened and why?

#25 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2010-November-06, 13:27

Bbradley62, on 2010-November-06, 13:14, said:

Do players who are unable to register due to this restrcition get a very clear explanation of what has happened and why?

I expect that they would get the standard message that is sent when any restriction is not met;
"Sorry, this is a private tournament. It is not open to the public. Please contact the tourney host for details"
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#26 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-November-06, 13:55

jillybean, on 2010-November-06, 13:27, said:

I expect that they would get the standard message that is sent when any restriction is not met;
"Sorry, this is a private tournament. It is not open to the public. Please contact the tourney host for details"

As the tournament director, are you able to tell them "you have been disallowed because your tournament completion rate is only 65% and we have set an 80% minimum", or do you just have to tell them that they did not meet the posted criteria?

#27 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2010-November-06, 18:40

Bbradley62, on 2010-November-06, 13:55, said:

As the tournament director, are you able to tell them "you have been disallowed because your tournament completion rate is only 65% and we have set an 80% minimum", or do you just have to tell them that they did not meet the posted criteria?

When I set a tournament, I use several restrictions. I can't tell why a player is unable to join other than when they appear on my 'enemy list'.
I can't see a players completion rate.
(still learning)

#28 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-07, 09:03

matmat, on 2010-October-30, 11:36, said:

yes. Exactly that. Or, possibly, average number of hands played per partner.

so if I volunteer as a sub to finish a tournament I get penalized with a smaller number of hands per partner? Also does not work in individual tournaments or in different size (i.e. number of boards) tournaments.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#29 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2010-November-07, 10:02

Matmat's original suggestion was ...

matmat, on 2010-October-30, 11:27, said:

I think this is a great idea. I would like to see something similar implemented for the main bridge club, where the percentage of completed hands is used.
... and that, too, seems like a great idea. I assume that Matmat means

100 * (N - L) / N

where

L = number of hands in the middle of which, the player left the table.
N = Number of hands that he played.

And I presume that he wouldn't penalize a player who left
  • when he was dummy or
  • before he started bidding.

#30 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-November-07, 10:11

jillybean, on 2010-November-06, 12:54, said:

I tried this filter on an indy today using an 80% completion rate. Typically I would sub 15+ players who had quit. Today I subbed 3, a huge improvement. :)

Another director told me that by using 60% his sub needs were cut from 15 to 5. So, it seems that you don't have to be very strict with this filter; just removing the truly bad apples is sufficient to see a huge improvement in the game.

#31 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-November-07, 10:15

pooltuna, on 2010-November-07, 09:03, said:

so if I volunteer as a sub to finish a tournament I get penalized with a smaller number of hands per partner? Also does not work in individual tournaments or in different size (i.e. number of boards) tournaments.

matmat's suggestion was clearly about MBC hands, not tournaments. Playing in a 10-round individual tournament would not hit you for playing with each of 10 partners for only one hand.

#32 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-07, 10:17

matmat, on 2010-October-30, 11:27, said:

I think this is a great idea. I would like to see something similar implemented for the main bridge club, where the percentage of completed hands is used.

The current plan is to implement this in the next version of the web-client which we hope to release before the ACBL Fall NABC starts (ie within a few weeks). There will be a couple of other new features in the upcoming web-client release designed to make it easier for well-behaved members to find an appropriate and civilized game in the Main Bridge Club. Most likely you will continue to see improvements on this front in the months to come.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#33 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-November-07, 10:50

This would actually be a measure of both (i) how long a player stays in his seat, and (ii) how long other people are willing to be his partner. My partner and I regularly establish a table (as N/S) in the MBC; two others will sit E/W... East plays badly, so West leaves... repeatly. East sits there and is pleasant and does his best, but Wests keep leaving. East would get a low score on this proposed scoring. (Some may think this is a good thing, other may think it's a bad thing; I'm not opining, just pointing out the situation.)

Conversely, someone who has a regular partner should get a high score. Over the past month, my regular partner and I have played 201 boards together over 13 sessions. Over that same month, when I have ventured into the MBC without her, I've played 39 boards with 9 partners. My composite score of 11 (240/22) would look much better than my actual average of only 4 (39/9) when I'm stag. Again, just pointing out that this score might not be measuring what we hope to be measuring.

#34 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-November-07, 11:26

Bbradley62, on 2010-November-07, 10:50, said:

This would actually be a measure of both (i) how long a player stays in his seat, and (ii) how long other people are willing to be his partner. My partner and I regularly establish a table (as N/S) in the MBC; two others will sit E/W... East plays badly, so West leaves... repeatly. East sits there and is pleasant and does his best, but Wests keep leaving. East would get a low score on this proposed scoring. (Some may think this is a good thing, other may think it's a bad thing; I'm not opining, just pointing out the situation.)

Conversely, someone who has a regular partner should get a high score. Over the past month, my regular partner and I have played 201 boards together over 13 sessions. Over that same month, when I have ventured into the MBC without her, I've played 39 boards with 9 partners. My composite score of 11 (240/22) would look much better than my actual average of only 4 (39/9) when I'm stag. Again, just pointing out that this score might not be measuring what we hope to be measuring.

Re the first point, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. It might encourage people to be more honest in their self assessment; If nothing else, it might be worth a try, anticipating that it may need to be disabled.

Re the second, your composite ratio would be 240/10 (24), and that's the one you'd have assigned, i'd imagine (ideally, team matches and pair tournaments would get counted in this).

Ideally we'd look at the distribution of this number before deciding where to make cuts for various tolerance levels, and the levels would be chosen from a predetermined, limited set of choices rather than allowing table host control the number to a fifth decimal spot ;)

I am not sure how Uday + co. are going about this, or what, exactly, they're implementing; but I'd have looked at the distribution of whatever index is being considered first, to see if it is viable... I mean, if a reasonable cut removes 1/3 of the BBO population from consideration, perhaps the index isn't really that good.

#35 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2010-November-07, 11:36

I have a question for BBO, does the completion rate filter work on an 'and' or 'or' basis?
For instance, I create a tournament using an include custom list, language setting and completion rate.
Will a player who is on my include list but does not meet the completion rate limit be able to sign up?

Thanks.
(still learning)

#36 User is offline   Ant590 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-08, 07:43

Will there be some kind of decay function for less recent tournaments? I.e. Completing tournaments in the most recent year are worth "more" to this metric.

Not that I'm in this situation personally, but I can see a situation where someone has been a complete douche until this rule, then wants to turn over a new leaf.

#37 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-November-08, 08:05

Ant590, on 2010-November-08, 07:43, said:

Will there be some kind of decay function for less recent tournaments? I.e. Completing tournaments in the most recent year are worth "more" to this metric.

uday, on 2010-October-30, 10:59, said:

We compute this number nightly, looking at the last 30 days , for people with 10+ Ts. We might tweak these #s later

#38 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-November-10, 10:24

Are there many "elimination" type tournaments, where after a few rounds the lowest-ranked players are eliminated before the end of the tournament? I've played a couple of these, though certainly not many. In these events, does being eliminated before the last round constitute a tournament "not completed"?

#39 User is offline   Creeksider 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-17, 21:46

I guess I'm a bad guy, just got barred from a T for inadequate completion rate. I've bailed a couple of times from robot tournaments where I didn't think it would matter to anyone. So now I can't play any "no runners" tournaments for 30 days?

#40 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-November-18, 00:49

Creeksider, on 2010-November-17, 21:46, said:

I guess I'm a bad guy, just got barred from a T for inadequate completion rate. I've bailed a couple of times from robot tournaments where I didn't think it would matter to anyone. So now I can't play any "no runners" tournaments for 30 days?

- Robot tourneys do not count. You can withdraw or quit them - they won't affect your completion %.
- The ratio is updated nightly, not monthly.
- You are probably not barred from all no runners tourneys. Some of them have this % set higher, others lower... With a 76% for example you cant enter a 80% restricted tourney, but you can join a 75%.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users