• You cannot reply to this topic

New Forums

#81 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-21, 06:37

View PostFree, on 2010-October-21, 01:23, said:

I miss the "go to top"-button (the one with the up-arrow) on the right side of each reply.

Can we delete our own posts in case we said something really ridiculous and don't have a good alternative answer?

Most keyboards have a "home" key. Most browsers return to the top of the page when this key is pressed.

I asked about deleting one's own posts in the previous version of the forums. Best I could do was edit them to nothing. Seems the same is still true.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#82 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 07:35

Why was this thread put under Bridge-Related Discussion rather than BBO Discussion?

Profile display doesn't seem to be picking up gender info from the profile data. This one seems to have just been fixed.

In the profile data section, the choices for posting my birthdate are: show birthday without year, show birthdate including year, and show none. In the profile display area it shows birthdate and age. Since you have a separate field there to show age, the user should be able to provide his age without providing his birthdate (which, of course, is an identity theft issue).

#83 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 08:06

View Postkenberg, on 2010-October-21, 05:56, said:

Computer folks often swoon over fancy features. The rest of us like simplicity. And large fonts. Not in light blue on gray background.

If you were to ask my parents, they'd tell you I am a "computer folk"; if you were to ask my kids, their opinion would be quite different.

I don't like large fonts. I like fonts that the user can set: the reader rather than the writer ought to determine the size of the font they are seeing. Isn't the size of the font dependent upon the size and resultion of the reader's monitor?

I have not seen any messages with light blue text on a gray background. But, perhaps my eyes are simply not sensitive enough to tell the difference between light blue and black (or dark gray).

#84 User is offline   bb79 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-21, 08:10

View PostBbradley62, on 2010-October-21, 07:35, said:

Why was this thread put under Bridge-Related Discussion rather than BBO Discussion?

Profile display doesn't seem to be picking up gender info from the profile data. This one seems to have just been fixed.

In the profile data section, the choices for posting my birthdate are: show birthday without year, show birthdate including year, and show none. In the profile display area it shows birthdate and age. Since you have a separate field there to show age, the user should be able to provide his age without providing his birthdate (which, of course, is an identity theft issue).

Can you enter a fake birthdate, like january 1, July 4th, but correct year?

#85 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-October-21, 08:42

View Postbb79, on 2010-October-21, 08:10, said:

Can you enter a fake birthdate, like january 1, July 4th, but correct year?

Of course I can. But why should that be necessary?

#86 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 09:53

View PostPhil, on 2010-October-20, 15:10, said:

why do I get the feeling participation has fallen wayyyy off? I thought it would be up since we had an off day?

The new forums killed my MFA nick, because I have never used it for the BBO software and there it has already been taken by somebody else. :(

Maybe there are other forum posters who also can't log in now after the new forum software has been introduced?
Michael Askgaard

#87 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2010-October-21, 10:18

The hand generator is cool, but it should include form of scoring.

#88 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 11:12

Hey there, I can read this! So I have found how to adjust the size of my own input.

While it would be nice to be able to edit the font size for others' posts, probably the best you can do for now is to increase the base font size in your browser. This is easily done in Firefox -- not sure about IE, Chrome etc. etc.

#89 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 11:16

I wrote this in another thread, but I guess it probably belongs better here. Hope I don't step on any of the forum admin's toes:

View Postmatmat, on 2010-October-21, 10:36, said:

I think that the vendor of the forum software offers some additional color skins for the forums. A lot of them are free of charge. I think that the forum operator would need to add these, and not individual users, but it might be good if people took a look at the free ones available and noted which ones they think look good to give as options.

The skins are here:
http://community.inv...gory/110-skins/

I'd throw this one out there:
http://community.inv...3204-ipb-retro/

and this one:
http://community.inv...azul-baby-blue/

#90 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2010-October-21, 11:49

I like both of them better than the one now so it would be great if they added them.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#91 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-October-21, 12:53

[Hey there, I can read this! So I have found how to adjust the size of my own input. Is there an option to take the existing posts of others and resize the fonts?

Great, now you've gone and broken it for those of us who already know how to use their browser to adjust the size of all the fonts!

(In the case of Opera's standard keyboard settings, simply press +. Your browser may vary.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#92 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2010-October-21, 13:06

View Postmycroft, on 2010-October-20, 14:11, said:

Vertical space is precious, especially since the promulgation of widescreen monitors.

Quite regardless of the layout, I find the extra space between lines in the content of posts to be incredibly annoying to read.

Also, I've just discovered that about half of every page the server sends consists of inline CSS. Wow, what an incredible waste of bandwidth. Everyone has a browser cache nowadays, you know.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#93 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-October-21, 13:20

[Hey there, I can read this! So I have found how to adjust the size of my own input. Is there an option to take the existing posts of others and resize the fonts?

IE, at least the version I am using, has a magnifying glass like tool at the bottom right that allows me to vary the font size from 50% to 400% of the original while maintaining the screen width - well almost it faulters for some large magnifications.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#94 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 13:40

I'm learning:

I must click on a name to make friends. I haven't tried it yet but I will. I am still somewhat confused. The note said they successfully added me as a friend. I didn't have to confirm or anything. Does this mean we are now friends, or am I supposed to do something?

Yep, ctrl+ (on Firefox) enlarges the size. Of course I might have tried that.

Somehow the colors have changed. Whew! I have no idea if this is because someone somewhere did something. If so, thanks.

I didn't mean to break anything.

I don't doubt that a lot of folks are more savvy than I am about technology, but I can assure you that there are a lot of people are less so. A lot less. I have helped a number of people in my age group and even younger. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. But a roadmap would be nice.
Ken

#95 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2010-October-21, 14:00

So far I haven't seen anything I think is an improvement, and have seen several things I think are modest steps backward (wasted screen space, 10s instead of Ts), but nothing I can't cope with. I pray that very few people discover how to change font sizes inside of a post.

So far the only previously unreported bug I have found is that if I try to insert a hand diagram, then change my mind about what hands I want to display / who the dealer is, I am stuck, because if I click the insert-hand button again, it remembers what I've already told it, and takes me directly to the screen with the 52 cards, not to the preliminary screen to choose what elements to display."

#96 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 14:12

View PostSiegmund, on 2010-October-21, 14:00, said:

So far the only previously unreported bug I have found is that if I try to insert a hand diagram, then change my mind about what hands I want to display / who the dealer is, I am stuck, because if I click the insert-hand button again, it remembers what I've already told it, and takes me directly to the screen with the 52 cards, not to the preliminary screen to choose what elements to display."

That does sound like a bug, but if you click the "New diagram" button at the bottom-left of the hand editor window you will get back to the screen that allows you to specify the type of diagram you want to create.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#97 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 14:17

I mentioned it earlier... and I'll mention it again... and again... and again.

I'm pissed that I can't HIGHLIGHT / COPY / PASTE any "hand layout" in a thread here.

If I want to save a certain hand, I have to retype the whole damn thing.

... or am I just too computer illiterate to figure out an easy solution ?
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#98 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 14:30

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2010-October-21, 14:17, said:

I'm pissed that I can't HIGHLIGHT / COPY / PASTE any "hand layout" in a thread here.

One workaround is to click "reply" on the message containing the hand and copy/cut the part of the post that contains the hand. I changed some settings around, just for fun.

eg. here is the hand from the OP in:
http://www.bridgebas...954#entry503954

#99 User is offline   bb79 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 14:34

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2010-October-21, 14:17, said:

I mentioned it earlier... and I'll mention it again... and again... and again.

If I want to save a certain hand, I have to retype the whole damn thing.

... or am I just too computer illiterate to figure out an easy solution ?

will this work?
click the reply button under the post that you want to copy the hand layout,
find the line starting with [hv=...
highlight that line and copy.
and then paste that into whatever post you want.

I'm not sure it's easy or convenient for you.

#100 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-21, 14:35

I see an active user called "Google" every now and than. It is displayed, but you can't click on it to get to the profile.

Does that mean we can search the forum content using google some time soon?

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users