• You cannot reply to this topic

xyz auction

#41 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-17, 00:39

The_Hog, on Oct 17 2010, 12:47 AM, said:

I give up. You ARE 4333 on this hand!

I didn't say that I'd rebid 1N on every 4333 hand. I said it was a factor. I wrote previously...

straube said:

Playing standard (suits up the line), I might occasionally decide to bypass spades...but only when I had sufficient reasons to judge that it was best to do so.

This hand is 4333 but it has decent spades (AJxx) that can help to pull trump. Even though I'm 4333, partner may have a ruffing value. Also, my hand has KQx of partner's suit and I don't have a stopper in the suit I opened. Suit play is probably best if partner has Kxxx xx AJxxx xx.

I wrote that I preferred Walsh so this would for me be an automatic 1N rebid. But if I were playing suits up the line then I'd have to decide whether to bypass my spade suit or not. I could go either way but probably would rebid 1S here.

Bored of having to repeat myself. Last word's yours if you want it.

#42 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-17, 01:42

aguahombre, on Oct 13 2010, 11:49 PM, said:

The_Hog, on Oct 13 2010, 10:07 PM, said:

Strongly dislike the 1S bid. You are showing 9 cards in 2 suits when in fact you have 7 in a balanced hand.
Prefer
1C 1D
1N  3C
3N

yep. The 1NT rebid opposite a pard who is not an "up the line" person, is just right. Then, 3C (NF, Invite) is just about right opposite the typical minimum for an opening bid these days (including mine). Responder must have longer diamonds, or she would have started with an inverted raise (or raised the NT rebid if balanced.

Tangling things up with XYZ on a 1C-1D-1NT start seems burdensome when responder already knows the size and balanced nature of opener's hand. Forget New Minor Force, there isn't a new minor. Slammish responders could consider 1C-2D (strong). If that isn't part of their repertoir, maybe it should be.

Not related to the hand in question, but a comment in general. If responder has an invitational club raise, he should not bid 1D. The auction 1C-1D-one anything-3C is forcing if playing Walsh.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users