Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Abalucy Calcutta on BBO Vote for your Favorite Pair

#1 User is offline   Yzerman 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-July-30, 18:39

AbaLucy Bridge Club announces an exciting special event for all BBO users.

Sunday, August 1, 2004 at 1:30 pm edt - 19:30 CET - AbaLucy Invitational Bridge Club is sponsoring a Mock Calcutta intended to provide a high level tourney for special players. The winning pair of the AbaLucy Mock-Calcutta Tourney will be credited with twenty BBO$$ (10$$ each).

All BBO users are invited to log onto www.abalucybridgeclub.com and vote for the top pairs in the Calcutta - 1st, 2nd 3rd, 4th and 5th places (Quinzafecta- style).

The Calcutta portion of the event, will be open to the entire BBO community. On Friday, July 30 at approximately 7:00 pm edt a Calcutta Betting Form will be posted at www.abalucybridgeclub.com for all BBO member to register their picks. Voting will end Sunday, August 1st at noon edt - 17:00 CET.

All BBO Members will be able to predict the top 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th finishers in the event. There is no cost to participate or wager on the event, however, each BBO Member will be limited to ONE ENTRY ONLY. Multiple submissions will be thrown out and not considered in the final result. The winner of the AbaLucy Mock-Calcutta bidding contest will be credited with twenty BBO$$.

Hope you all will join us for what we hope will be a BBO happening extraordinaire.
MAL

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-July-30, 23:36

Looks like an interesting event, with a strong field. In reading the rules, I see that pcyhes are only allowed once per session. A couple of questions about this rule.

1) Is that once per player or once per partnership?

2) Isn't there UI available to a partnership if they have used their limit of psyches? They will know, beyond a doubt, all futhter bids are not pscyhes..something their opponents will not be privy too..

3) What is considered a psyche for these guidelines.. Would a bluff splinter bid or bluff cue-bid on a slam going hand be considered a psyche (I do not consider such bid a psyche, but rather a tactical ploy). Would an opening bid in third seat on 10 pts be a psych? How about 9? We all open light in third seat. I don't consider that a psyche, but again a tatical bid.

4) I open fairly aggressively, following the ZAR Point concept. There are some hands with less than 10 hcp that I consider an opening hand. One of the rules say that opening bids so 1C/1D/1H/1S must promise a minimum of 10hcp. Even the acbl is not that restrictive. So if I have a nice yummy 29/30 zar count but only 9 hcp, would it be considered a pyche for me to opne that hand? Would it be barred?

5. As noted in private message to you, your rules outlaw multi 2D. Now, with the international flavor of the abalucy club and the players listed, this seems to be wrong thing to do. The specific reason it is outlawed is this statement in the rules...

5. TWO DIAMOND ARTIFICIAL OPENING BID indicating one of:
a) both majors with a minimum of 10 HCP.
:unsure: a strong hand.
c) a three-suiter with a minimum of 10 HCP.

I think your members would, as a group, rather allow multi2D than ban it.

6. A fuzzy area.. is this rule...

SINGLE OR HIGHER JUMP SHIFTS AND/OR NOTRUMP BIDS AT
THE TWO LEVEL OR HIGHER to indicate a raise or to force to game.

Two questions.. 1H-p-3C.. bergin is ok, but preemptive seems to be outlawed
1H-P-3C as "fit jump" would be allowed (shows raise), but if you play that opener can pass this jump, it might not be allowed? I think preemptive jumpshifts probably should be allowed.. we all play 1C-3H as preemptive I think, but this is outlawed.

I guess I agree with the effort to limit pcyhes to keep teh integerity of the game sound (no random, frequently psyches), but the rules leave me with more questions than answers.

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-July-31, 05:15

Hi All

I just had the chance to look over the regulations for the new "improved" Abalucy. Regretfully, effective with this new set of changes, the club is no longer one that I wish to frequent or even support through membership/participation.

As Ben has pointed out, the regulations regarding psyches are highly problematic. Please note that I am not referring to the goal of reducing the number of psyches, but rather the design of the regulations which are logically flawed, promote U/I (am I supposed to alert that partner has already used up his one psyche per session???), and in direct violation of the Laws of Bridge.

However, from my perspective, the major issue is the decision to adopt, almost verbatim, the ACBL's General Convention Chart to regulate use of Conventions during Abalucy tournaments.

The ACBL's Convention Charts are among the most restrictive in the world. By adopting this as the Abalucy standard, you are almost immediately excluding a wide number of pairs from arround the world who would need to substantially modify their system in order to participate in events.

Equally significant, the ACBL is - arguably - the worst Zonal body to emulate if your goal is to produce a strong club capable of sustained growth. The ACBL has an abysmal record regarding cultivating new members. From my own perspective, allowing this highly flawed model to spreafd is one of the worst things that can happen to online bridge. Please note: I am not suggesting that Abalucy can't adopt the ACBL convention chrts and simultaneously increase its membership. There are LOTs of ACBL members out there today... The problem occurs when new yound players are driven from the agme because they are unwilling to accept the Ayatollah's Correct Bidding lesons.

Finally, the Abalucy leadership has illustrated an unfortunate tendendcy to replicate some of the worst elements of ACBL decision making. The ACBL decision making process uses a very closed process, in which a small cadre of leaders presumes to understand the needs of the membership without any requirement to resort to any form of systematic customer research. Given

(A) The rather sweeping nature of the set changes that Abalucy has just introduced
(B) The relatively small size of the Club
© The fact that we're all connected electronically, permitting complete surveys are minimal cost...

I would have expected some effort at asking the membership what type of club that they want to participate in. I am sad to see things following a very different path.

As the "owners" of the site, and the ones putting in the work to organize tournaments/buidl web sites/etc. you obviously have the right to establish whatever type of club you want. I only wish that it was one that I wanted to see succeed...
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-July-31, 08:53

I'm not an AbaLucy member, nor have I been invited to be.

The ACBL uses Midchart for most high-level-only events. In addition, every club I've been to uses Midchart. It's still more restrictive than people use in Europe, but it's nowhere near as bad as the General Convention Card.

http://www.geocities...ventionmid.html

I don't know if I'm posting this to defend the ACBL or suggest that the GCC isn't appropriate for high level games here. Probably both.

#5 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-July-31, 20:03

Can't find my favorite pair.

Mike :D
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-August-01, 08:03

"Could not connect to server"... :D
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-August-01, 08:26

Free, on Aug 1 2004, 10:03 AM, said:

"Could not connect to server"... :D

Try again... just worked for me.
--Ben--

#8 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-01, 09:24

inquiry, on Jul 31 2004, 05:36 AM, said:

6. A fuzzy area.. is this rule...

SINGLE OR HIGHER JUMP SHIFTS AND/OR NOTRUMP BIDS AT
THE TWO LEVEL OR HIGHER to indicate a raise or to force to game.

Two questions.. 1H-p-3C.. bergin is ok, but preemptive seems to be outlawed
1H-P-3C as "fit jump" would be allowed (shows raise), but if you play that opener can pass this jump, it might not be allowed? I think preemptive jumpshifts probably should be allowed.. we all play 1C-3H as preemptive I think, but this is outlawed.

I agree that the GCC is inappropriate for this event. If an everthing goes approch is not wanted, the WBF regulations are better than ACBL and are international in scope.

As to Ben's specific question above, the GCC only applies to conventions. So preemptive jump shifts are legal if natural. 1H-3C is legal as a weak jump shift in clubs, it would be illegal as a weak (or two-way) jump shift in diamonds (conventional).

Fit jumps are legal (shows a raise) and the GCC does not require them to be forcing.

Though I don't know why you would want to play it, 1H-3C showing a premptive raise of hearts would be perfectly legal. Again, the GCC has no jurisdiction over the strength of 1H-3H as a heart raise, though a preepmtive raise in abscense of competition is alertable in ACBL.

#9 User is offline   Abadaba 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-August-01, 15:30

Hi Richard and all,

FYI - the past two weeks Mike and I have been working non-stop day and night trying to incorporate the things our TD's and Advisors have agreed to would be good for the Club.

As far as the convention chart is concerned the GCC was used a s a template not meant to be a final result. As a matter of fact if anything we will tend to go more toward super chart than GCC when we are finished.

We would like to thank Inquiry for showing us that multi 2 was inadvertently left off the chart and to all the great Aba players who have sent us constructive information allowing us to clarify. As you can imagine this is a very big undertaking and we go one step at a time to correct things overlooked or that need fixing. This entire project was to make Abalucy responsive to our Members desires.

Aba

B)
Abadaba - doooooooooooo - cept when she don't

#10 User is offline   abalucycredibility 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-August-16, 08:08

(deleted contents, user reported for slandarous/malicious claims.

Rain)

#11 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-16, 17:20

Abalucycredibility?

Credibility? The answer is simple. Don't participate in the club. I don't believe anyone twisted your arm to get in and no one will twist your arm to resign.

The point of the matter is that at least in Abalucy someone cares about players who cheat and they do something about it. Try to show me the same consideration in other clubs. When you can do that, I'll listen to your opinion.

Jola

#12 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-August-16, 17:29

abalucycredibility, on Aug 16 2004, 05:08 PM, said:

Several abalucy members have been thrown out of the club for cheating (same IP address kibbing while the member makes impossible bids and 'wins' tournaments). A club that reinstates these same members and even allows them to host abalucy tournaments may have credibility issues for some.

If folks are going to make accusations of this type (and I don't recommend such behavior), they should at least be willing to post publically without hiding behind a pseudonym...
Alderaan delenda est

#13 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-August-16, 17:42

wasn't me, wasn't me!! :)

either it's 1) true or 2) false... if true, the poster is an 'insider', one who knows for a *fact* that this has taken place... if false, the poster is malicious and should be forced to eat some of my wife's gumbo (don't tell her i said that)
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#14 User is offline   spwdo 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-16, 18:24

abalucycredibility, on Aug 16 2004, 11:08 PM, said:

Several abalucy members have been thrown out of the club for cheating (same IP address kibbing while the member makes impossible bids and 'wins' tournaments). A club that reinstates these same members and even allows them to host abalucy tournaments may have credibility issues for some.

Hi,

never saw a more empty profile from a forum user(only a preffred convention filled in(2/1)), aldougb im not currently member of abalucy bridge club (and not defending any of their policys or whatever) this really is a sad :D development/answer u posted and u even made a profile up for it.Sad Sad Sad :)

At least have the decency to come forward with opinion of your own so ppl can defend themselves to "real" forum users , this is only gathering support for your opinion, in my mind u lost it and i forget what u posted, false or thru, i forget it.

P.s1. Welcome to bboforum wich u seem to know well enough already :D
p.s2 how about credibilty for someone who comes on with a name like that?

Spwdo/Marc
"if you fail at your first attempt , maybe skydiving is not for you".

#15 User is offline   doofik 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-16, 18:38

Jimmy,

The point of the matter is that whoever it is, it's a gutless critic who needs an idiotic alias to speak his/her mind. I think that something like that is done with tremendous maliciousness in mind. There's absolutely no call for this in BBO community.

Jola

#16 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-16, 19:52

I have seen some lurkers after getting a bad decision from a TD running to these forums to make their first post. But this one takes the cake.

Surely an insider. Please remove your mask and face these forums boldly.

It is a real Shame!!!!! I dont know what credibility is he talking about?

Godwin
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#17 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-August-17, 03:44

you're right jols.. whether true or false, it's still malicious
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users