• You cannot reply to this topic

An annoying, petty thing that I just wanted to post

#41 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2010-September-29, 19:40

JLOGIC, on Sep 29 2010, 08:28 PM, said:

Am I missing something obvious or does bidding 3 with 4 hearts just cause you to miss 4-4 heart fits? Sounds awesome...we have the auction all to ourself and cant find our 4-4 major suit fit that we almost certainly belong in since we have a side 5-2 fit to set up! It seems like if you want to play this then 3N should either show or deny 4 hearts, but not be able to contain both.

Yes 3N that is non specific about 4 sucks.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#42 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-September-30, 02:09

Zelandakh, on Sep 28 2010, 10:24 PM, said:

barmar, on Sep 28 2010, 08:48 PM, said:

I played with one partner who liked to have a 2/1 response show a 5-card suit.  So if you have a GF hand, but no biddable suit, you have to start with a forcing NT.

Fred published a series of articles describing a similar philosophy for 2/1 but using a different solution (2NT from memory but it has been a while). I think it is still available on BBO using the Windows client version. You might find it is just what you are looking for!

Yes, it was 2NT that showed a balanced 13-15. I played it for some years with Bergen & Jacoby, and just shifted all the other single-jump responses around to make them fit in.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#43 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 08:09

barmar, on Sep 28 2010, 09:48 PM, said:

I played with one partner who liked to have a 2/1 response show a 5-card suit.  So if you have a GF hand, but no biddable suit, you have to start with a forcing NT.

I agree with the principle of this. (16+ or hands with 3 or more spades have other bids.) A 2 over 1 shows 5.  Since I started playing 2/1 I have always responded 1NT (or forcing next step) with balanced hands up to a 15 count. It seems crazy to bid 3NT when there could be a better result in any suit. Why not hear what partner has to rebid?

And yes, forcing means what it says. I don't understand the terminology of semi-forcing, because a bid is either forcing or it is not forcing. Maybe that bid should be called an "undefined NT".

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users