Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Conventions Bergen vs Drury

#1 User is offline   EUVID 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-August-19, 16:09

Partner opened 1 in 3rd position. I hold 4 's and 11 points. We're playing 2/1 and Bergen Raises and Reverse Drury. I reponded 2 . Partner thought I should have bid 3 instead. After my 2. he rebid 2 .
I then invited with 3 and he perserved to 4. He went for 1 but others made it on a different lead.

What is the precedence when playing both conventions. Does the use of Bergen make Drury unnessary? Should they not appear on the same convention card?

#2 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-August-19, 17:15

i play bergen with 4+ and rev drury with 3 trumps... hasn't caused any problems i'm aware of... in any case, your pard knew you had what, a limit raise? and he still accepted, right? and you had one more trump than he had a right to expect, correct? yet he went to game... i don't understand his gripe... if he went over a limit with 3 trumps, surely he'd go over a limit with 4
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-August-19, 17:30

You can also play 2-way drury (if that's the name), and use 3m as very weak bids... However, you'll lose your 2 bid.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-August-19, 17:44

Far better over 3rd seat openings is to use Drury or reverse drury and use your jumps as fit showing. If you are going to continue with your bergen raises over 3rd seat openings, why are you even bothering to play Drury?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2004-August-20, 08:53

main reason ron is to differentiate between 3 and 4+ card support, in limit raises only... i agree it makes less sense to play the bergen constructive raise over 3rd seat, drury is better for that... responder can always compete to 3M later, to show the 9th trump (if he feels it's warranted)

but i also like the fit jump idea... i think that might be superior, using r. drury
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#6 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-20, 10:52

Yeah I agree with Ron here, mostly because of the ridiculous 3rd seat openings I make.

Use Rev Drury for the limit raises; you can always take a push with 4 trump if you want. We play constructive raises in all seats, and we'll make that with 4 trump by a passed hand. Fit jumps are very useful by passed hands (we used to call them 'flower bids'). I was playing these even before Bergen raises were invented.
"Phil" on BBO

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-22, 02:58

If p has the habbit of opening on a 4-card in 3rd seat, Bergen may take you too high. Use two-way Drury instead. If playing 2/1, I'm not sure what a natural 2 response would mean anyway, in particular if you have a weak 2 on your CC.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   KiwiBridge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-August-22, 16:15

I never play Drury, because many years ago my experience finally taught me that it doesn't pay to open light 3rd in hand. Against decent players, all you are doing is pin pointing your strength for them.

#9 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Challenge square dancing (besides the obvious)

Posted 2004-August-22, 17:18

KiwiBridge, on Aug 22 2004, 05:15 PM, said:

I never play Drury, because many years ago my experience finally taught me that it doesn't pay to open light 3rd in hand. Against decent players, all you are doing is pin pointing your strength for them.

Getting your side off to the best lead works against decent players too. And even decent players have a harder time getting to the right spot against an auction that starts with opp's 1S followed by the other opponent raising or jump raising than if given a free run to use their methods (which might include relays and other such gadgets.)
I tend to lead fourth best - as opposed to the best suit, the second best suit, or the third best suit for our side

#10 User is offline   skorchev 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-23, 17:37

In Bulgaria most of the players (including me) play Reverse Drury. And the jumpshifts like 1-3/3/3 and 1-3/3/(2) are suit + fit or minisplinters, we don't play Bergen raises!
I don't know what would means 2NT by your system, but in this case with 4 cards in and 11 hcp i would bid 2NT - limit raise to 3.

Stefan
BE COOL!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users