• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-August-18, 14:19

Scoring: IMP

West North East South

Pass  1NT   2    3
 Pass  4    Dbl   Pass
 Pass  RDbl  Pass  Pass
 Pass  

Hi all, I am interested in your opinions on my 3 spade bid here please, we play 2/1 thanks

#2 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-18, 14:25

2S is enough, 3s is far too much.

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-August-18, 14:35

3 is suicide, I don't see any reason to jump, only if you want to lose a partner...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-18, 14:42

I dont like 3 at all, although the redouble is from outer space B)
"Phil" on BBO

#5 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-18, 15:03

2 shows the value of this hand and the sixth . It also shows a little bit more than a minimum as you are not forced to bid after the 2 call. make the 4 into the A and you are getting towards a 3 call.

Eric

#6 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-18, 15:56

You were planning to rebid 2 if the opponent had passed, yes? I don't think Ax in their suit improves your hand...if anything, it lowers it.

#7 User is offline   Dwayne 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-August-18, 16:04

Septic,

that your opponents misdefended at Trick 6 by cashing the CA in no way should encourage you to bid like a novice.

What on earth possessed you to make a game try opposite a partner that could only respond 1NT? Your DA is waste paper.

Get a grip.
Dwayne
Al kuko kaj kaso cxiam venas amaso.

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2004-August-18, 16:23

3S is a shocker, but not as bad as the partner punishing xx.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#9 User is offline   bearmum 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-18, 18:59

#10 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-18, 23:52

OK, next dumb question, why is the A!D a waste of paper?

#11 User is offline   Dwayne 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-19, 00:09

Septic,

the Ace of Diamonds is an over-rated card in your hand.

Honours, particularly Aces and Kings are most useful when combined with secondary honours in your partner's suit. You can be fairly sure from the 2D overcall that partner won't have much, if anything, in diamonds so this should further dissuade you from jumping to 3S.

I can only presume you bid 3S because you held the DA, not in spite of it. Without the interference, ask yourself what your rebid would have been. If you still say 3S, ask yourself the same question again. And again and again until the answer is 2S.

Dwayne-eroo.
Al kuko kaj kaso cxiam venas amaso.

#12 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-19, 00:14

sceptic, on Aug 19 2004, 12:52 AM, said:

OK, next dumb question, why is the A!D a waste of paper?

Normally, an Ace is worth more than one trick because of values in the other hand: The Ace across a King is worth two tricks, the Ace across QJxx is worth two and a half...seriously increasing the value of those holdings in your partner. It may also help you develop his suit, if he has, for example, KJTxxx. In this case, however, you know that your partner is unlikely to have values or length in diamonds, so all the ace is worth is one trick.

If you had xx in diamonds and AKxx in clubs instead, your hand would increase in value after the diamond bid, and you might consider increasing the strength of your hand and bidding 3 (I still wouldn't). If you had a singleton diamond and AKxxx in clubs you should definitely increase the value of your hand. If they were bidding hearts instead of diamonds, I would think hard about bidding higher because my partner likely has points or length in diamonds, so the ace could be useful.

Or...what Dwayne said. I wrote this as he was posting his reply. :blink:

#13 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2004-August-19, 05:04

sceptic, on Aug 18 2004, 08:19 PM, said:

Hi all, I am interested in your opinions on my 3 spade bid here please, we play 2/1 thanks

3S should show some sort of reverse, either in HCP (a good 16+) or distributional (less than 16 but no more than 5 losers).

Your hand has about 6,5 losers:

2.5 (clubs) + 1(diam) + 1(H)+2/2.5 (spades).

Therefore it should be evaluated as a minimum opener and rebid 2 spades.

N's redouble is uncommon but not so bad, given his expectations to find a reverse in S.

There is a book by Blue Team member Pabis Ticci where he deals in a chapter on the odds needed to redouble a doubked game contract, and, based on a cost-benefit analysis, he suggests to redouble either close games OR slam going hands, but not regular games contract where they have a potential suit for a sacrifice.
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#14 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-August-19, 05:14

6.5 losers is TOO much, how can you ever lose 2.5 tricks in on quite normal distributions??? This is maximum 6 loser hand, and imo more like 5.5 loser. Still too much losers to jump imo, a simple 2 is enough.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#15 User is offline   sceptic 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-19, 09:38

thx 4 comments

#16 User is offline   paulhar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Challenge square dancing (besides the obvious)

Posted 2004-August-19, 11:14

jtfanclub, on Aug 18 2004, 04:56 PM, said:

You were planning to rebid 2 if the opponent had passed, yes? I don't think Ax in their suit improves your hand...if anything, it lowers it.

I'm not sure I agree with all these disparaging comments about the ace of diamonds. Granted, I'd rather the ace of diamonds be an ace of a different suit, but if partner had held the king of diamonds or the queen-jack, he's going to count them as nothing given the bidding and your ace is worth two tricks in this case - the ace itself and also the value in bringing back the honors that partner is downgrading back to life.

Still not enough for a 3S bid but not trash either.
I tend to lead fourth best - as opposed to the best suit, the second best suit, or the third best suit for our side

#17 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-August-19, 12:01

paulhar, on Aug 19 2004, 05:14 PM, said:

jtfanclub, on Aug 18 2004, 04:56 PM, said:

You were planning to rebid 2 if the opponent had passed, yes?  I don't think Ax in their suit improves your hand...if anything, it lowers it.

I'm not sure I agree with all these disparaging comments about the ace of diamonds. Granted, I'd rather the ace of diamonds be an ace of a different suit, but if partner had held the king of diamonds or the queen-jack, he's going to count them as nothing given the bidding and your ace is worth two tricks in this case - the ace itself and also the value in bringing back the honors that partner is downgrading back to life.

Still not enough for a 3S bid but not trash either.

The point is though, that a large proportion of the time partner won't have the K or QJ. The value you should assign to it must be weighted by the various probabilities, so overall you should value it less than if RHO had not bid . The times you are wrong will be more than compensated by the times you are right, and that is the bestl you can hope for in any game of incomplete information.

Eric

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users