• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How can this game be bid?

#41 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-September-10, 10:48

I find this hard to believe Aqua. I think I've seen the auction 2D - 2H - 2S twice on vugraph. Both times 2S made while the other table was down in 3S.

Of course the system loses sometimes, either by already being too high or by not being able to use 2D for something different. But the Italian pairs that play it are among the very best in the world and they take their system very seriously. If they didn't think that the advantages outweighed the disadvantages they wouldn't bother.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

#42 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-September-10, 12:59

I imagine it is valuable as an "eliminator" --so the 18-19 bal. hand is not a possibility for a 2NT rebid

This is minor thing.
The major thing are gains in competition.
As opener can't have 18-19 balanced anymore then double is always pure takout and practically guarantees shortness in their suit.
For example:

1 - 2 pass - 3
dbl

It's much easier to make decisions here when you know opener is 1-3-6-3/1-4-5-3/1-3-5-4/1-4-4-4 almost always. In standard system you have to worry about 18-19 balanced all the time.

One other example:

1 - pass 1 2
dbl 3 - ???

Now with 5 hearts you have easy 4H almost always as well as with 5clubs 4C or even with 5d you can bid 4D often. In tandard you often pass those doubles fearing 18-19 balanced.

This is recurring theme in competiton. If you absolutely don't want to adopt mexican 2D you should at least move all 18-19 balanced to 1C opening imo.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users