• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beginning partnership system Jdonn's signature line

#21 User is offline   bucky 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-September-07, 17:57

blackshoe, on Sep 6 2010, 01:43 PM, said:

Funny, I always thought it was to avoid them becoming discouraged by getting the pants beat off them every hand.

Beginners, at least around here, are notoriously reluctant to "play up". We have a thriving club here (typically upwards of 30 tables each session) which has one (sometimes two) open section, and two (sometimes three) "beginner" sections. Most of the "beginners" have been playing in those sections for years. They don't want to move up to the open section - they're uncomfortable playing with "experts", they say.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as everyone enjoys the game. Some people like to play inside their own league, some want to step out and test water. What's discouraging is some of the game format that DOESN'T allow beginners to play against better players.

#22 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-September-08, 02:56

hanp, on Sep 7 2010, 01:14 PM, said:

No great bridge players came out of letting beginners play against beginners. It depends on the students, if they are good and eager, they should play amongst experts.

I definitely agree you have to get them to the experts at some point. They'll learn a lot, especially in declarer play and defense.

The question is: do you throw them immediately in front of the lions, or do you let them develop their bidding skills first so at least they have a decent auction?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#23 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-September-08, 03:13

Mycroft I agree with most of what you say (without meaning to imply that you are not a great player, I have no idea).

I do think that it depends entirely on the beginner. I have not played in a B/I tournament yet but I can imagine that it could be an enjoyable experience for some. However, if you have a talented student that is eager to become really good, it would be a shame not to let them play amongst good players. Preferably with a good partner.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users