• You cannot reply to this topic

WOW!!!

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2010-October-01, 09:22

I missed the wild game last night. But, I wonder if anyone has ever seen this happen.

It was a small game -- three tables. My friends Bob and Tom headed into the last round against my wife and her partner with quite the score. As it turns out, at this point, they had a 94% game! Yes, NINETY-FOUR PERCENT!!!

Then, they met my wife and her partner, a first-time partnership. In that last round, one average and FOUR ZEROES for the leading pair. They still ended up with a 77% game.

One of the bottoms was a "Leahism." A "Leahism" is an action taken by my wife, Leah, that succeeds for reasons that my level of theory understanding cannot grasp. This time, her partner opened 1NT. When she counted her points, she got to 15. Unfortunately, her math was slightly off, and she really only had 10. She must have got caught up in my 3 1/3 Klinger adjustments and the like; great body, 10's, etc. Anyway, she decided to treat her (10)15-count as a good 15-count and pursued a slam. When partner showed up with only one Ace, her lack of any Aces (an aceless 15-count surely deserves an upgrade, especially when it is really an aceless 10-count) convinced her that the slam was long-odds, and she signed off at 5. This went set two tricks for a cold top. The opponents at the other tables all found a heart game (made ) the other way. Tough for Bob and Tom that they couldn't find their heart game in this sequence.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 09:32

Funny. I almost got into the 80s once... ended up with like a 79 and change...could have been an 83 if I hadn't botched a 29hcp 6N...don't remember the details this was probably 5 years ago, but do remember working out later how it could have been made.

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 11:05

too bad the old link doesn't work anymore. My almost 80%:

http://forums.bridge...wtopic=6183&hl=

The results where showing as I recall Bocchi, Duboin, Lanzarotti, Buratti, Lantaron, Ventin and Lambardi all way behind us lol.

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 15:15

kenrexford, on Oct 1 2010, 03:22 PM, said:

great body

I had a good chuckle at this given you were talking about your wife at the time. :lol:
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 15:37

My stupid session was in the qualifiers for the under 25 pairs in the UK, a long time ago.

I was visiting my old uni when the heat was played so I asked them to find me a partner and they did.

The movement was such that we played 24 boards before the break, and 16 after. We had a 42% score in the first "half" and 1/3 of the field qualified. Warp drive was then engaged. Our second "half" consisted of one average and 15 70%+ scores for an overall 84% in the second session to qualify in some comfort.

Then found out it was some obscure religious holiday and he couldn't play in the final :lol:

#6 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 16:43

In my last year of school (before university) I played in the national schools pairs. In the first session (23 tables) we managed to pull out a 76% session over 24 boards. This was then followed up by a 70% session in the final (top 12 qualified, 22 boards 2 vs each of the other pairs). Needless to say, we won comfortably enough (though the wierd scoring format of the competition meant that our final score was "lower" than last place in the consolation).

Not that that even compared to 94% lol.
Wayne Somerville

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2010-October-01, 17:40

Zelandakh, on Oct 1 2010, 04:15 PM, said:

kenrexford, on Oct 1 2010, 03:22 PM, said:

great body

I had a good chuckle at this given you were talking about your wife at the time. :)

That might help with some of the good scores! :)
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#8 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-01, 17:42

kenrexford, on Oct 1 2010, 10:22 AM, said:

A "Leahism" is an action taken by my wife, Leah, that succeeds for reasons that my level of theory understanding cannot grasp.

I have many Leahisms every session.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users