BBO Discussion Forums: Rate These Conventions - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rate These Conventions How Universally Played Are They?

#41 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-August-06, 15:29

Apparently we have read different textbooks. :blink:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#42 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-August-06, 20:30

babalu1997, on Aug 5 2010, 05:54 PM, said:

barmar, on Aug 4 2010, 06:24 PM, said:

But the OP asked how commonly they're played on BBO.  99% of the players on BBO are not experts, or even advanced, despite what they say in their profiles.

If you sit opposite a random BBO player, I'd expect that the only one of those conventions likely to be in their profile is Capp (I have no idea why this is so much more common than DONT, which is just as simple and obviously better -- maybe intermediates think they really need the penalty double that hardly ever comes up).

DONT is a better defense to the 15-17 nt but very few play it and among those who do you will find many who do not undertastand the 2d relay after the 2c inteference

but here is a quote from mike cappelletii where he states that he designed the convention as a defense to ks`s weak nt, 12-14 range.

ks is nolonger popular but the conventions stuck, for those of us who play ks the players at large do get beaten by the capp convention.

"When I started playing bridge, the convention Brozel was very popular as a defense to 1NT. At the same time, however, the Kaplan- Sheinwold system was coming into vogue, and the weak 1NT it uses was robbing us blind. We needed a penalty double, but in Brozel, double showed a one-suited hand. So I thought 'Why not make double for penalty, and let 2 show the single-suiter?'" Thus, Cappelletti was born."

quoted from: http://www.clairebri...defensevsnt.htm

I have no problem playing Capp over weak NT, I do that with many partners. I was talking about strong NT.

Maybe that's the reason so many players just play Capp: they don't want to have this conditional in their profile. Especially when playing with a pick-up partner, you probably won't have a chance to discuss where you draw the line between weak and strong NT.

I've recently played Meckwell a few times, but I don't think the bids came up during those sessions. This seems like a good compromise between natural and DONT: you get the preemption of bidding your major immediately, plus the ability to show two-suiters on the 2 level.

#43 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2010-August-06, 21:51

Can someone give me a good link to Meckwell Defence to NT please? I know the basics, but can't find any details anywhere about continuations.

Thx ,, neilkaz ,,

#44 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-August-06, 23:06

Dbl = single minor or both majors. Advancer bids 2. Overcaller passes with clubs, corrects to 2 with diamonds, or bids 2 with both majors, and then advancer passes or corrects to his better major.
2 = +major. Advancer passes with club preference, bids 2 with long diamonds, or 2 p/c to overcaller's major.
2 = +major. Advancer bids similarly to 2, but would have to go all the way to 3 to show his own clubs.
2/2 = natural
2NT = minors. Responder picks one.

#45 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-07, 07:48

FrancesHinden, on Aug 5 2010, 04:25 PM, said:

Obviously BBO is very US-dominated, so all the US players replying are probably giving an accurate reflection of what is played, but it's a good idea to look at someone's flag before making assumptions as to what they play.

[snip]

What do you consider dominating at 8:45AM Saturday CDT I checked and only 10% of online BBO players had a US flag.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users