#1 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2010-August-06, 07:39

Some of the recent discussion on the BBO forums has lead me to think about cheating scandals of yore. In particular, the Reese-Shapiro incident.

One of my critiques regarding the Piltch thread is that no one has been able to offer any kind of explanation how the UI was transmitted. We have no direct evidence that the deck was rigged, the partnership had a wire what have you.

If find this an interesting contrast with the Reese-Shaprio case where there is a direct claim that there was a wire. (Reese and Shapiro varied their grip on the cards). However, I don't think that there is any conclusive determination what these signals shows. (I've seen claims that they might have been signaling Heart length, they might have been doing X, or Y, or Z)

I'm curious whether the corpus of hands is still extant along with the record of (alledged) signals.

It might be interesting to run the hands through a modern clustering algorithm and see whether this was able to infer any kind of relationship between the signal and the hand type.
Alderaan delenda est

#2 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-August-06, 08:55

hrothgar, on Aug 6 2010, 08:39 AM, said:

I don't think that there is any conclusive determination what these signals shows. (I've seen claims that they might have been signaling Heart length, they might have been doing X, or Y, or Z)

In both Reese's and Truscott's books on the matter, as well as anywhere else I have ever heard of this, it's claimed they were signalling heart length. In Truscott's it's claimed exactly how (for all lengths 1-7 anyway), with photographic evidence to at least show what he is talking about. What have you heard for X Y and Z?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#3 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2010-August-06, 12:14

Heart length and hand strength, allegedly.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#4 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2010-August-06, 14:59

I've only heard about heart length. And the last thing I knew about this matter is that after the death of Schapiro a lawyer said they acknowledged cheating but only to prove that it could be done.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#5 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2010-August-06, 15:08

Hanoi5, on Aug 6 2010, 03:59 PM, said:

I've only heard about heart length. And the last thing I knew about this matter is that after the death of Schapiro a lawyer said they acknowledged cheating but only to prove that it could be done.

There were a couple of hand strength features alleged by Truscott in his book, most from the observations of Don Oakie. One pertained to whether the cards were held in the left hand (bad hand) or the right (good hand), and another pertained to whether the cards were held "low" (bad) or "high" (good).
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-August-06, 15:10

Lobowolf, on Aug 6 2010, 04:08 PM, said:

There were a couple of hand strength features alleged by Truscott in his book, most from the observations of Don Oakie. One pertained to whether the cards were held in the left hand (bad hand) or the right (good hand), and another pertained to whether the cards were held "low" (bad) or "high" (good).

Those were from past tournaments, not the tournament in question. The signal for which the controversy errupted was only alleged to be about heart length. At least that was my understanding.

#7 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-06, 15:13

I have not been particularly attentive to the world for bridge for the past few years, but this is something that I think would have been widely reported if it were true. This is the first I have heard of it. In fact, I vaguely recall there being some mention of disappointment that there was no statement left to be read after Schapiro's death. For what it is worth, Schapiro's wikipedia entry makes no mention of a posthumous admission.

#8 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-06, 15:23

jdonn, on Aug 6 2010, 04:10 PM, said:

Lobowolf, on Aug 6 2010, 04:08 PM, said:

Those were from past tournaments, not the tournament in question. The signal for which the controversy errupted was only alleged to be about heart length. At least that was my understanding.

Yes, that's right. It's in Truscott's book, but it's not from the event where all hell broke loose.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

#9 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-06, 15:25

TimG, on Aug 6 2010, 05:13 PM, said:

I have not been particularly attentive to the world for bridge for the past few years, but this is something that I think would have been widely reported if it were true. This is the first I have heard of it. In fact, I vaguely recall there being some mention of disappointment that there was no statement left to be read after Schapiro's death. For what it is worth, Schapiro's wikipedia entry makes no mention of a posthumous admission.

As I mentioned a lawyer said it. Maybe it wasn't official but the bulletin where it can be found on the internet (maybe could have been found) had the statement and, if I'm not mistaken, Truscott's reaction.

My YouTube Channel

#10 User is offline   bill1157 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-August-06, 15:30

The lawyer made this up, Reese and Shapiro always maintained their innocence.

Bill

#11 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-06, 15:41

bill1157, on Aug 6 2010, 05:30 PM, said:

Bill

That's a possibility but I wonder why would someone of his age would make something like that up.

My YouTube Channel

#12 User is offline   bill1157 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-06, 15:45

Hanoi5, on Aug 6 2010, 04:41 PM, said:

Bill

That's a possibility but I wonder why would someone of his age would make something like that up.

People will make up stuff right up to the day they die...

#13 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-August-06, 15:53

bill1157, on Aug 6 2010, 04:45 PM, said:

Hanoi5, on Aug 6 2010, 04:41 PM, said:

Bill

People will make up stuff right up to the day they die...

Yes, such as their own innocence.

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-August-07, 03:10

A hand from the 1965 BB

K 5 3
10 6 5 2
A 9 8 4
5 2

A 7 4
J 9
K J 10
K 10 7 6 3

Bidding:
Pass 1C
1H Pass

An unthinkable final contract for a pair that knows about each other's heart length.

However, of course, someone says they are making up their own innocence. Highly amusing!
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-August-07, 03:16

I didn't say that, it was a general comment about what people will say. What is more amusing is how pathetic it is that you won't call out who you are trying to insult but instead keep it veiled and (un)subtle so you can fake the moral high ground later.

By the way, whatever happened to 1 hand not being proof of anything? Or is it only proof of innocence when a pair has the immense disaster of playing in the wrong contract at the 1 level?

#16 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2010-August-07, 03:22

"People will make up stuff right up to the day they die..."

"Yes, such as their own innocence. "

Josh, I don't even think you yourself know what you are writing.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#17 User is offline   bill1157 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-07, 11:49

The whole idea of finger signals to show heart length is ridiculous if you think about it. It is a case of a couple of overzealous people coming up with anything to support their suspicion that Reese and Shapiro were cheating.

Bill

#18 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-07, 11:57

IMO the pictures in Truscott's book are completely damning even without the (near?) perfect correlation between the # of fingers shown in the pictures and the # of hearts held by both players.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#19 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2010-August-07, 12:14

For what it is worth, Schapiro's wikipedia entry makes no mention of a posthumous admission.

Reese's does. (As a result of comments I made to Reese's Talk page on wikipedia.)

When it first came out, I expected the confession to be earthshaking news, ordered extra copies of both Reese's and Truscott's book to sell in anticipation of renewed interest, etc. The original news item (I forget if it reached me via rec.games.bridge or BLML) did cause an online stir, and made it into several newspaper items, but then magically got hushed up. I still don't know why. I think Rex-Taylor's original claim involved some sealed papers that couldn't be opened until 40 years after Buenos Aires, not just hearsay, but I never did see copies of the papers scanned and posted. Nor did I see anyone establishing it was a hoax.

I found the 2005 explanation quite plausible, myself.

#20 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-07, 12:21

bill1157, on Aug 7 2010, 12:49 PM, said:

The whole idea of finger signals to show heart length is ridiculous if you think about it. It is a case of a couple of overzealous people coming up with anything to support their suspicion that Reese and Shapiro were cheating.

Bill

There is not only a number of witnesses over several sessions, but also photos, of signals that correlate with the number of hearts. What more should be needed, a confession?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users